A MAC is not a Mac

everything about MacOS
WrinkledApple
AV Hardware:Non
Yet
A MAC is not a Mac

Post by WrinkledApple » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:13 am

I've actually registered only to express my surprise that here, a networking focussed site, where I would have expected to see precise terminology, I saw MAC leap off the page at me, initially to my deep confusion.

Your see, children (I'm a 70 year old woman, I can say that :D), a Media Access Control address is the individual and 'personal' internet address of every and any single device that has the ambition of being connected to that internet. Every PC has an individual Media Access Control address, every ethernet hub has a Media Access Control address, and so on.

Lets be more specific, and call a Media Access Control address a ‘MAC’ address, it’s accepted abbreviation.

You can see that all the rabid Windows fanatics of the world are secretly using MAC's !!! <grin>

Can you believe it -- even Macintosh computers (Macs) have MACs?

So please, board administrators et al, please change all entries referring to Apples's Macintosh line of PCs from MAC to Mac, so the discussions may take on a rational nature.

Now I’m off to find what I don’t know about NAT Servers, with your help.

Cheers

Xavierdemon
AV Hardware:Twonkyserver
MacBook Pro

Re: A MAC is not a Mac

Post by Xavierdemon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:20 pm

A Media Access Control address would pretty much always be referred to a 'MAC address' and thus there isn't really any confusion to be had. I appreciate your advanced years may have been a contributing factor to your confusion as well as the belief that you may refer to us as children, without actually even knowing any us. So listen Grandma, we don't teach you how to suck eggs, so don't try and teach us about Mac's/MAC addresses ;) lol.

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: A MAC is not a Mac

Post by Twonky_Rick » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:43 am

I've requested that this change be made.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/