Start TwonkyServer 7.05 at boot without a user logging in

everything about MacOS
AV Hardware: Mac Mini Server [Lion] - [meant to be UPnP server]
iPhone & iPod touch - PlugPlayer [client]

Start TwonkyServer 7.05 at boot without a user logging in

Post by McTrinsic » Thu May 03, 2012 9:47 pm

Hi all,

I am using TwonkyServer on a Lion OS X 10.7.3 Server quite happily.

It serves my music and photos and to some extend also videos, though I seem to miss the transcoding option.

For the time being, I can live without the transcoding of videos and dont need transcoding of audio files.

But I would like to start TwonkyServer as a service without logging into my server.

Right now i have to setup a user to log into the server and have twonky be an autostart-item for that user.

Since this is discouraged, I created a .plist to start TwonkyServer at boot and start the .plist with launchctl.

So far so good, TwonkyServer gets executed during boot - but won't work and will ony start after log in.

The system logs reports the following issue with regards to TwonkyServer:

"Untrusted apps are not allowed to connect to or launch Window Server before login"

Any chance to fix this??

Usually, this is caused by apps relying on GUI elements.

AV Hardware: Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: Start TwonkyServer 7.05 at boot without a user logging i

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu May 03, 2012 11:19 pm

Thanks for reporting this. I'll pass it on to our engineers and let you know if they have any comments or suggestions.

As far as transcoding goes, I think that TwonkyServer 6.0 works. Here are some suggestions about Windows setup, but there are some Mac comments as well near the bottom. viewtopic.php?f=24&t=5714#p22749

I don't have updated notes for TS 7.0, but I think Phibertron posted about this in the TwonkyServer section.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: