Streaming from MAC to PS3 without Twonky

everything about MacOS

Have you found out how to stream from your mac to ps3 without twonkymedia?

Poll ended at Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:04 pm

Yes
29%
No
71%

Total votes: 7

toby23
Streaming from MAC to PS3 without Twonky

Post by toby23 » Fri May 25, 2007 2:04 pm

ok, twonkymedia seems to work but half my files don't work and nothing is organised as on my macbookpro...

PLUS i'm going to have to pay for this utility soon?

WHY if PC users can just open WMP and click 'allow media sharing' can't we Mac users set up the Mac to simply share the itunes, iphoto database like i could on the 360 with Connect 360?

i'm not criticising the developers at twonky, as of now that seems to be the only way to get my files streamed at all to the ps3?

roll on the day when i can stream without waiting for 1 minute for files to open and when i can see the files like in iphoto or itunes...

Video_newb

Post by Video_newb » Fri May 25, 2007 4:56 pm

Apple doesn't include built in upnp/dlna support in any of its applications (unless I'm misinformed) and likely won't at least in the foreseeable future. I'm not sure what standards itunes sharing uses, but I doubt it will ever play nicely with the ps3. This is one place where it's nice that microsoft makes the operating system and the game console, but clearly there are even problems there.

http://www.pure-mac.com/mediacenter.html

Here is a website where you can find some other upnp streaming alternatives for macs, but truthfully I think twonky is probably your best bet right now. They just updated a new beta which gives me hope as to their commitment to making things as seamless as possible. As for organization, most of that is probably the ps3's fault. If you want everything to be nice and clean then invest in an apple tv. Tradeoffs are the name of the media streaming game right now and it will probably be a little while before we see that change.

jpstewart19

How Does Tivo Do It?

Post by jpstewart19 » Fri May 25, 2007 7:20 pm

Any idea how/why tivo does it so perfectly? Once setup, it can pull itunes and iphoto material from a mac perfectly.

toby23

Post by toby23 » Fri May 25, 2007 8:52 pm

@videonewb

thanks for your help...
i've been playing with the twonky config setup but without much luck...
connect 360 streamed music ok, at least everything was listed as per itunes, iphoto...

i can't understand though why mac users have been left out by sony...

i must be missing something so simple, i can't see it...

Video_newb

Post by Video_newb » Sat May 26, 2007 2:48 am

toby, if you can be more specific with your problems maybe we can help. Obviously the ps3 has to be able to play the file type, and I haven't tried many pictures, but mp3's seem to work fine. There have been some posts as to problems with file extensions in all caps so that might also be something to consider.

longtom

Post by longtom » Sat May 26, 2007 8:50 am

Buffalo Storage device supports DLNA client.
The only way till now.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Sat May 26, 2007 9:06 am

toby23 wrote: i can't understand though why mac users have been left out by sony...
Mac users have been left out by Apple!!! Sony have done nothing wrong here.....
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

Kid Red

Post by Kid Red » Sat May 26, 2007 3:31 pm

I don't see what Apple did wrong here, it took me 5 minutes to set up Twonky. I can't get Twonky to view my iPhotos, or play any mpgs but I don't fault Apple, haha, that's ridiculous. Adding Sony doesn't play all formats so you need the server app to transcode on the fly for some formats. What does that have to do with Apple?

THE REVENGE

Post by THE REVENGE » Sat May 26, 2007 5:24 pm

:idea: just guessing here guys but cound't it have something to do with the fact that the ps3 only play's external mp4 file's
if they are put in a seperate file folder named :arrow: VIDEO only then it work's (using a fash card / USB harddrive) but the same file wont play when it is seen trough Twonky WEIRD STUFF !!!!

Ps: excuse me for my bad english i'm dutch so if their are any typing erros never mind them !
:roll: