parallels and twonky

everything about MacOS
crimespree
parallels and twonky

Post by crimespree » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:56 am

after pulling some hair i have come to the conclusion that parallels desktop and twonkymedia do not play well,
for me if the parallels startupitems run the the twonky server becomes very flaky with dropouts etc of the server :cry: :cry:

cbhwr

Post by cbhwr » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:43 pm

Hi Crimespree,

I do not have a Parallels to test with (G4 PPC here), but I'd venture a guess that the guest inside Parallels is Windows, and that it is sharing the netcard with OSX? If this is the case, then you may find that you are having two UPnP servers running on 1 netcard, and this is not recomended.

If this flakyness is happening before a guest OS is loaded, then it may be bridging-software with Parallels or simply a driver-issue. Then I would take it up with them.

/Nc

crimespree

Post by crimespree » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:43 am

it is without a guest os even loaded, so it is the parallels software, specifically whatever is running inside the the startupitems folder on my mac, i had to uninstall parallels to get twonky to work again, ill install it again and see what happens to twonky

rwestwood

Post by rwestwood » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:07 am

Crimespree - I have experienced the EXACT same thing:

I installed Twonky after I bought a PS3 and it had constant dropouts...annoying. I gave up on the whole thing. Then, a month later I had to reformat my macbook. I installed Twonky again out of interest and it worked perfectly.

However, I have recently installed Parallels again...and now it drops out constantly as before.

I really need a solution to this - does anyone have any idea how I can get around it?

burm

Post by burm » Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:38 pm

rwestwood wrote:Crimespree - I have experienced the EXACT same thing:

I installed Twonky after I bought a PS3 and it had constant dropouts...annoying. I gave up on the whole thing. Then, a month later I had to reformat my macbook. I installed Twonky again out of interest and it worked perfectly.

However, I have recently installed Parallels again...and now it drops out constantly as before.

I really need a solution to this - does anyone have any idea how I can get around it?
I was having this exact same problem and it was really bothering me. Then I got thinking...Parallels plays with the NICs on my Mac, so it could easily be interfering with OSX's ability to interface automatically with Twonky, as far as Twonky automatically binding to each NIC. If the NIC connection isn't perfectly stable, then PS3 will get confused.

So, I went into Twonky's config settings, then to "Network," and to the "IP Address of the Server" and manually entered in the IP address of the NIC (in this case, my Airport) that I wanted Twonky to run over. Just to be doubly sure that I made the connection as stable as possible I also adjusted my Network settings on my MacBook to DHCP w/ Manual Address, and entered in the IP address, so that it would remain stable.

I then saved the settings and restarted Twonky...haven't had a problem since and its been 2 days.

Every now and then I get a "Network Error" on the PS3 screen, but that, it turns out, has to do with the next song in the playlist being an AAC(MP4) file, not the actual network stability.

Good luck.

smokeonit

Post by smokeonit » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:18 pm

on my macbook pro twonky 4.4 runs perfectly smooth in coexistence with parallels desktop 3.0.5160
dsm-520 hd media player via airport extreme/express wifi 802.11g @ 28-30Mbit

macbook pro osX 10.5