Settings won't save

everything about MacOS
Gospel
AV Hardware:Server: Mac Pro 2.6MHz quad core (2x2 cores), 9GB RAM, 4 HDDs (250GB, 750GB, 2x1TB) running Leopard 10.5.4
Client: Archos 705 WiFi PMP
Settings won't save

Post by Gospel » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:54 pm

Hi all,

I am trying out Twonky Media Server. I want to be able to access the movies, TV Shows, and music that resides on my Mac Pro via my 80GB Archos 705 WiFi PMP. However, I am not even getting to first base with it. It seems that TMS is not saving the settings. I am using TMS 4.4.5 which I downloaded from <www.twonkyvision.com>. For example, I start MediaServer.app, go into Settings and then Basic Settings. I enter a server name like "My Media Center". The click [Save]. A red message shows up saying that some settings won't take affect until the server restarts. So, I click on the [Restart] button. Go back to the server name setting and it is now blank. It looks like the twonkyvidson-medaserver.ini file is not being updated. I tried using both Firefox 3 and Safari.

Also, if I tried to access the TMS web server via the Macs IP address (192.168.xxx.yyy:9000) instead of 127.0.0.1:9000, TMS quits unexpectedly and MacOS dialog box pops up asking if I want to relaunch the app.

I am running a 2.6MHz quad core (2x2 cores) Intel Mac Pro with 9GB of RAM running Leopard (10.5.4). I'm trying the trial version of TMS and according to the docs the only limitation is that the trial is only good for 30 days.

Any help will be appreciated. BTW, I did google searches and searched the Twonky Vision forums before posting.

Thanks,
Steven

Gospel
AV Hardware:Server: Mac Pro 2.6MHz quad core (2x2 cores), 9GB RAM, 4 HDDs (250GB, 750GB, 2x1TB) running Leopard 10.5.4

Re: Settings won't save

Post by Gospel » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:05 pm

Well, I fixed the problem of saving the settings. I found the solution in this forum's thread:

4.4.3.1 not storing any data in the .ini or .db files

I managed to change of ownership of the the Mediaserver.app to the account from which I am running TMS. Now, however, TMS keeps crashing when I try to save the setting that will link TMS to my iTunes library. I still crashes whenever I use localhost or my Macs IP address to access TMS. /var/log/system.log says something about access issues.

The problem may be that I am trying to run TMS from a plain user account. Some time ago, I quit using my admin account for doing routine stuff. It seems to me that TMS wants to run from an admin account. Is this true? When I start Mediaserver.app, I am prompted for the admin account and password. However, it still creates files using my non-privileged user account

BTW, does it matter if I use Firefox 3 or Safari? I'd prefer FF3.

Thanks,
Steven

Gospel

Going to do a complete reinstall

Post by Gospel » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:58 pm

I've been reading more posts in Mac forum here. I think I need to do a complete uninstall of TMS and reinstall v4.4.5. Since I couldn't get things working I tried TMS 5.0b1. That may have messed things up further.

Thanks,
Steven