How Can I Add Directories to Server Menu

Other OS or NAS discussions
Budgie
How Can I Add Directories to Server Menu

Post by Budgie » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:59 am

I have QPKG version running on Qnap NAS and serving several clients including some Linn Sneaky DS. Everything works very well but recently I decided to start putting radio download files, either mp3 or flac onto the server. To do this I added a directory "Radio" to the three existing Music, Photos and Videos.

I have rescanned contents and rebuilt database but for reasons I do not understand when I select Twonky from a client the original three directories and their contents are all accessible but still not the new Radio directory. What am I doing wrong please?

Budgie

parnott
AV Hardware:Twonky, WDTV Live, XBMC (Linux & Windows)

Re: How Can I Add Directories to Server Menu

Post by parnott » Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:00 am

There are only 3 top-level containers, Music, Pictures and Videos. These are the only top-level containers that most (if not all) media players understand.
What you configured was probably an extra location to scan for music content which will be cataloged in the Music container.

The easiest option is to move your Radio directory so it is under the directory path being scanned for Music content and then browse Music>By Folder

An alternative is to tell Twonky to scan one directory level above your Radio directory. This again will catalog you Radio directory and its contents and be viewable by browsing Music>By Folder.

Budgie

Post by Budgie » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:57 pm

Hi and thanks for that. It does explain why I have a problem. I do point server at directory above three containers and had hoped to see fourth directory shown.

What I must do is put radio stuff in music as an additional genre directory. Gives me a few housekeeping issues with rsync but nothing I cannot resolve.

Many thanks again,
Budgie

parnott
AV Hardware:Twonky, WDTV Live, XBMC (Linux & Windows)

Post by parnott » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:00 am

The genres and media files that appear in the Genre container are based on meta-data encoded into the media files. You would have to ensure that all these media files are tagged with your desired meta-data.

MP3Tag (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3Tag) is a program that many people seem to use for this purpose. I have not used it though, all my music media files are tagged the way I want when I rip them.