TwonkyServer UPGRADE 6.0.37 -> 7.0.8 Synology CS-407

Other OS or NAS discussions
gagula
AV Hardware:Synology CS-407
TwonkyServer UPGRADE 6.0.37 -> 7.0.8 Synology CS-407

Post by gagula » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:12 am

I have registered TwonkyServer 6.0.37 on my NAS (Synology CS-407) installed. Could someone please give me step-by-step instructions on how to upgrade to the latest version of the server 7.0.8?

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Re: TwonkyServer UPGRADE 6.0.37 -> 7.0.8 Synology CS-407

Post by Twonky_Rick » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:58 pm

Unfortunately we don't have any instructions how to install our software on any of the NAS devices.

I did a search and came across these notes. I don't know if they apply to TS 7.0 or not. This should only be attempted if you are good with Linux. If you have problems you could brick your NAS and there is nothing I can to fix this. If you're still ready to proceed make sure to use the 7.0.9 build which was just posted today in the Latest Builds post on the TwonkyServer forum.

Here is what I found:
I installed this zip file twonkymedia-kirkwood-6.0.30.zip, on a Synology DS209 using the shell.

Move the Twonky appdata directory out of /var. Chances are that the /var directory is recreated on each reboot. Most NAS devices do this. So all the Twonky operational data gets wiped out.

I don't know how Synology devices are configured, but if you search in these forums for appdata you will get some pretty good hints about what you need to change.

/usr/local/Twonkymedia is the install directory.

The first time Twonky Server is run it creates the appdata directory, typically it is /var/twonkymedia. This diectory contains the configuration files, the media database and various other directories. If the /var directory gets recreated when the NAS is rebooted then you loose the configuration files, etc.

The -appdata command option allows you to relocate where Twonky stores this data.

The easiest way to determine if the /var directory is being recreated on rebooting your NAS is-
1) Go to the Twonky configuration page and enter your license key and save the change.
2) Open a telnet or ssh session to your NAS and login as root.
3) Locate the twonky server config file with the command- find / -name twonkymedia-server.ini
4) Examine this file (cat or vi) and look for the cdkey= line, it should contain your license key, if it does not then there is something else going wrong (don't know what that could be)
5) Reboot your NAS
6) Examine the twonkymedia-server.ini file again, if the cdkey= line no longer contains your license key then the /var directory is being recreated when your NAS is rebooted and you must relocate the appdata to a permanent location.
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/