Linksys NSLU2 + Wireless Network + 500gb Hardrive + PS3

Other OS or NAS discussions
iann
Linksys NSLU2 + Wireless Network + 500gb Hardrive + PS3

Post by iann » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:29 pm

Hello there.

I've been searching for a way to wirelessly access my files around the house and ended up buying a linksys nslu2, i plan to flash the firmware and install twonky vision onto it later tonight.

I'd like to know if anyone has any experience of using a PS3 to stream media from the device? My music collection's in AAC 256kbps and the majority of my videos in h.264, with varying resolutions, some anamorphic (1056 x 568.. ish) others 4:3.

Will the PS3 handle this? I'm hoping to use this for everyday listening / viewing, thought i'd ask for peoples opinions before shelling out £400 on a ps3.

Regards

Ian

raistlin666

NSLU2 and PS3

Post by raistlin666 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:43 am

I installed the Unslung firmware on my NSLU2 Linksys and then installed the Twonky application to be used in conjunction with the PS3. I am not using wireless connectivity to the PS3 though. The PS3 does not understand and play all the files, especially Video, but most of it works well. I don't really like the automatic categorization that the Twonky software does, but in order to use folders as stored on my Network Drive, I had to make the config changes and thenn rebuild the database.

I am hoping that future versions of the Twonky software and the firmware changes on the PS3 will allow me to play additional file types, but I am still waiting for that.

I have not seen any further improvements to Twonky over the last month, so I am not sure when a new version will become available.

cbhwr

Post by cbhwr » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:40 pm

I would be wary of the setup you are proposing - The PS3 is not too good at handling video over wireless network.

Briefly, what I am experiencing is that the PS3 will stutter and come to a complete stop if there are problems with the stream, and if you are sending anything with too high a bitrate over Wireless, it is almost bound to have problems (Note: Mine is dying at ~3 mbit over ~6 meters distance). One solution for larger hardware at fixed position might be something like Power-adaptors but thats up to the individual (works for me :) )

AAC did play for me, and all my video is encoded as H.264 MPEG4/AVC High profile (worked even before 1.82 firmware), set for level 4.1. If encoded for AppleTV it is likely to work, but even functions not in AppleTV/QuickTime will work.

Raistlins issues with Twonky are also valid, but the current functions on Twonky should suffice for now (ahem!). The PS3, on the other hand, is not something I would expect supporting DivX/XVid, Matroska or any more obscure formats.

Hope this helps, otherwise ask more questions :D
/Nc.

Ps: The UPnP functionality in the 1.80 firmware was specifically what made me buy me PS3, and I'm not regretting it!

iann

Post by iann » Thu Jul 26, 2007 5:29 pm

Thanks for your replies, It looks like it'll do what i'm after.

Wiring it via ethernet shouldn't be a problem, wireless would have been a bit neater but i have found it pretty slow for file transfers!