pros/cons of Twonky and SlimServer clients on a QNAP 101

Other OS or NAS discussions
Uncle Mike
pros/cons of Twonky and SlimServer clients on a QNAP 101

Post by Uncle Mike » Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:24 am

Hi guys. I'm looking for some advice about how best to serve my music around my house.

When I needed a NAS, I bought a QNAP TS-101 last year, with the intention of coupling it at some point with a Squeezebox via the pre-installed SlimServer. Research at the time suggested that the Squeezebox had the best quality audio output, so that's what I was going for.

Since then, I've bought a PS3, and discovered that it'll also stream quite happily from the QNAP using Twonky (something I am using and am very happy with.) I haven't yet bought a Squeezebox, and am now reconsidering, but I still want to pick up something like a Sqeezebox for my other stereo in the bedroom.

Do I really want to have two media servers, holding two separate mp3 library indexes, sucking up two sets of resources on my TS-101? Would I be better off forgetting SlimServer, and getting something like a Roku Soundbridge? What's the actual output differences between clients in reality with VBR mp3s at around 192kbps? Can I easily uninstall SlimServer if that's what I want to do?

Any opinions, advice or links to places that'll help me decide would be much appreciated.