Twonky & iTunes playlists

Other OS or NAS discussions
kitenski

Post by kitenski » Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:45 pm

I'm running the trial version on a Terastation Homeserver.

The only thing I cannot get working is for Twonky to load the itunes playlists.

From the Twonky web interface, I selected the iTunes library file, and then stopped and restarted Twonky.

However I do not see any of my iTunes playlists, I even waited overnight in case it takes so time to propogate.

Has anyone managed to get this working at all?

Cheers,

Greg
http://www.pocketpcsoft.net PocketPC forums, software and freeware

http://www.smartphonesoft.com for Smartphone software and freeware

shawncar

No luck with iTunes but works like a charm with WMP

Post by shawncar » Sat Sep 22, 2007 4:26 am

Had the same problem with iTunes but it works great with WindowsMediaPlayer Favorites. Even manage to get the album covers.
You can use MusicBridge to sync your iTunes and WMP catalogs.

abigbear

A solution I use

Post by abigbear » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:35 pm

Maybe this does not apply to your situation but this is the way I do it:
1. I use Smart Playlists in iTunes on my local PC
2. I want to use the same kind of playlists on my QNAP TS209 Pro running TwonkyMedia 4.4
3. I frequently export new additions and changes in my iTunes lib to the server
4. For Smart Playlists I export them to a local disk in XML format
5. I use a utility program of my own design to convert these to m3u format and put them on the NAS Server, alongside with all folders containing the music files
6. I can now access the songs stored on the server through playlists stored on the server

BUT I cannot directly access the iTunes playlists that are stored inside iTunes itself if that was what you wanted.

Regards
Bjorne :idea:

paulwa

Post by paulwa » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:01 pm

I regularly copy the iTunes Music Library.xml file from my C drive onto my QNAP NAS device, placing it into the same directory that I've told Twonky to scan for MP3 files. You then need to do a database rebuild, not just a file re-scan. This can be found under the Troubleshooting menu.

markah1

Post by markah1 » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:07 am

Bjorne's post for a solution works for me as well, with a few adjustments:

1. To convert the iTunes playlists to m3u playlists, try the iTunesExport free utility posted at http://www.ericdaugherty.com/dev/itunesexport The exported playlists should be saved on the same directory as your music files.

2. Open the TwonkyMedia Configuration Page, Advanced Configuration, External Applications, and make sure the iTunes library file is not specified (shown as a blank), then save the configuration. Otherwise TwonkyVision seems to still look to iTunes for playlists.

3. Then go to TwonkyMedia Configuration Page, Troubleshooting, and click "Rebuild Database".

4. The playlists should then show up.

Hope this helps,

Mark

QNAP TS-209 Pro
Netgear MP 101