Qnap TS-109 Pro now WORKS with PS3!

Other OS or NAS discussions
philbert
Qnap TS-109 Pro now WORKS with PS3!

Post by philbert » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:03 am

Hi there,

- If you have the Qnap TS-109 pro, do yourself a favor and get the new firmware release 03/09 2007 which includes the new Twonky release.

NOW you can do "fast forward" and "pause", while streaming Mpeg2 files to your PS3! Awesome!

Furthermore now both pictures and music loads lightning fast on my PS3, eventhough i am on a wireless connection. Awesome!

Question: - Twonky says that you can now play "some" mp4 files on PS3, - does anyone knows which format, file extensions etc. to make it work? - I have tried different codecs and file extensions, but my ps3 always says "unsupported data". So the only video-files I can stream to my ps3 is Mpeg2.

Thanks in advance

Jesper - Denmark

Epstein

Post by Epstein » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:17 am

Hi Jesper

I've replied in the QNAP forum as well, but I might as well copy my reply here also.

There's three very important steps in getting your qnap to work flawlessly with your PS3.

1) Encode the movie in a supported format... Personally I recommend the .264 720p AVC/MP4 format. There's several programs that do this, PS3Video9 is free and pretty fast.

2) Make sure you use a firmware version 1.1.1 or newer that includes TwonkyVision 4.4.2 or newer.

3) Make sure that your PS3 is selected as a PS3 in the Twonky client/security settings.

-- Christian (also from Denmark)