Where's the NAS download link?

Other OS or NAS discussions
Taomyn
Where's the NAS download link?

Post by Taomyn » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:15 am

Why is there no download link for the NAS and other devices on the main download page: http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/Tw ... index.html :?:

Am I going mad!?!?! :?

kitenski

Post by kitenski » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:50 pm

http://www.pocketpcsoft.net PocketPC forums, software and freeware

http://www.smartphonesoft.com for Smartphone software and freeware

Taomyn

Post by Taomyn » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:49 pm

Yeah, I found that ......... eventually ......... but why's it been hidden away?

microchip

Post by microchip » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:45 pm

They have discontinued the NAS installs. Seems like they're only working on the windows, generic linux, and then making deals with NAS vendors to include it. I emailed them about the NSLU2 version and they responded they were no longer developing or supporting it.

MC

kitenski

Post by kitenski » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:38 pm

I emailed support and got the same response :(

we no longer support the NAS versions of the server.
http://www.pocketpcsoft.net PocketPC forums, software and freeware

http://www.smartphonesoft.com for Smartphone software and freeware

wideasleep1

Post by wideasleep1 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:55 am

If true, this is the end of the road for me wrt Twonky. I will never run a machine just to serve music/vids, as the NAS setups are the only way to do it as far as I'm concerned. My hope is that Christian et al. continue to produce the installers, with the general knowledge there is no support for them...that I can live with. This singular feature is what set Twonky apart from other mediaservers, and I'll happily expire my longheld support of Twonky and move to Firefly if there is no more NAS support, as Ron has indicated an interest in developing NAS installers for Firefly. :cry:

Taomyn

Post by Taomyn » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:49 am

wideasleep1 wrote:If true, this is the end of the road for me wrt Twonky. I will never run a machine just to serve music/vids, as the NAS setups are the only way to do it as far as I'm concerned. My hope is that Christian et al. continue to produce the installers, with the general knowledge there is no support for them...that I can live with. This singular feature is what set Twonky apart from other mediaservers, and I'll happily expire my longheld support of Twonky and move to Firefly if there is no more NAS support, as Ron has indicated an interest in developing NAS installers for Firefly. :cry:
I agree, if you're going to use a PC to do this then Windows MCE or Linux MCE are far better products the Twonky, with the latter being free, so I really didn't get why people used it that way. For standalone devices like NAS Twonky is one of the best.

If they do start a "no support" policy for future NAS versions, then they'll have to drop charging for it - it's part of the reason I coughed up to get it running on my Terastation and can't believe this is happening now that Microsoft have finally given Xbox360 DivX support!

This "Firefly" sounds interesting though - I'll have to dig around and look it up.

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff
AV Hardware:PC

Post by twonky-christian » Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:15 pm

Hi,

we are looking for a way to still supply the versions - but not to have the
trouble of supporting the versions for 'self installed NAS'

The problem is that users 'buy' the TwonkyMedia for NAS only and - of course - want us than to support them in the installation.

As there are too many users out there which are not Linux geeks this has driven us into an endless support loop - which just becomes more expensive than we can afford with the money we get through the licenses.

We monitored our support requests and found that more than 80% is driven by the self installed NAS - the rest is mainly MAC and a few Win32 problems.

If we can find a way to deliver the NAS versions without 'support' - we will still supply these (are there any suggestions how we could do this ? (may be just a link in the forum ?)

Sorry for that - as always the big 'dumb' group turns down the few geeks as well :cry:
Christian

wideasleep1

Post by wideasleep1 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:53 am

While I can certainly empathise with your overwhelming requests on NAS installed versions, it IS still true that members have paid for your product under the agreement that they would receive support, in addition to the software, when they purchased. I also assume many of the requests on NAS-installed versions are simply to get 1) Installers to work properly from the get-go, 2) Get basic help configuring options (often broken) once the server is up and running, 3) remaining requests are specialized help that would normally exceed any companies responsibility, both Twonky and the device supplier as well. I believe #1 would go a long way towards reducing the support-request load...I believe you have a duty to your paying clients to ensure the installer not only functions properly, but that it has sufficient documentation to relieve #2. I assume you have a plethora of devices to test Twonky versions and new device firmware versions, and brief notes on any changes required and additional info in a readme should be standard practice. The forum members assist for #2 and #3, under the reality that not everyone will be pleased with limitations.
I again express my hope that you stay focused on doing #1, but also request better documentation for these devices...the time spent in documentation will DRAMATICALLY reduce your support-request volume...any unclear documentation can be left for the fora to handle thru it's members. Does this sound like a workable solution to Twonky?

wolf_54321

Post by wolf_54321 » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:46 am

Hi,

just an idea: If 80 % of your support-requests cim from NAS users - maybe a great share of your revenues are coming from that end... is it smart to just cut that?

On the other hand I do understand your support-problem - those machines are quite complicated.

Perhaps a better Documentation - as wideasleep1 suggested - could be the answer? The smallest possible solution would be to post the mips Versions in the forum (why not in the main download-area with a service-disclaimer?).

Best regards
Wolf.

rogerkaplan

Post by rogerkaplan » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:26 pm

PLEASE do not stop the NAS builds and installers!! I completely understand your situation... My suggestion is to warn people upfront that installation support is not available for NAS, and if you want to install it on a NAS without getting your hands dirty, then buy one of the preloaded NAS boxes.. And let the forums (both yours and the NAS-specific ones) provide the support for us intrepid souls who open our NAS boxes.

For example, Microsoft does this all the time.. they release "powertools" which explicitly disavow support.
Roger L Kaplan

sylver

Post by sylver » Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:11 pm

Just sell it cheaper but without support !
Maybe that NAS communities (using their forums) could provide this support instead ?

Georg
AV Hardware:Server: Linkstation Pro (production) with Twonky 6.0.1 +
Linkstation Pro (developer) with Twonky 6.0.23
Clients:
Kathrein UFS 822 (pvr sat receiver, upnp-client?)
Philips TV PFL9604
WD TV Live
Roku Linkstation
Philips WLAN photo frame

Post by Georg » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:59 pm

I'd like to back the posts above. One reason for me to by my linkstation pro was to stream my media from it. When it finally twonky came out for the linkstation I was very happy to get it running.
Maybe sylver's suggestion is one way to go. If you look at the forums like nslu or nas-central, a lot of support is done there already. And in many cases the base for your business has been laid there, too, as these communities open and document these devices. ;)
What'd certainly help there is some central information for the "supporters" about changes in the installer like a history. E.g. for the linkstation at some point the installation process has changed from wget to samba shares. Caused some confusion in the twonky support thread.
So think about it and about wolf_54321 point about where a lot of your customers come from.

jhe

Post by jhe » Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:33 am

I too hope you will reconsider and support NAS installs.

I got Twonky originally solely because I could try it out on my PC, or my Linux machine, then install it on my Maxtor NAS. After having other problems not media server related, with the Maxtor I went ahead and got a Qnap NAS with twonky already included.

Without your NAS support I likely never would have tried it or wound up selecting an NAS with it built in.

I agree with the rest of the posts. You can't support the NAS problems with your low license fee but you sure can provide installers that work for your portion, and better documentation for the rest and some self help guides via the forum at least for popular NAS devices. Beyond a point you could do like Microsoft and charge for extra support.

sansp00

Post by sansp00 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:07 am

I would not mind dropping the installers ( I rather do them manually anyway ... ) and support IF we get proper documentation. Being a paying customer, I do enjoy Twonky a lot but if NAS versions disappear, I'll be forced to moved to something else. It's one of the best PC-less solution out there (with Firefly) , please reconsider this.

Patrick S.
Roku HD1000 (Revived!), R1000, M1001 x2
Axiom M50Ti, QS4, CTC-20
D-BOX David 301
Yamaha RXV596, CDC-675, KXW492
JVC XVS40, HRVP56U, AV27D302
Logitech Harmony 880
Linksys NSLU2 x2 (320gig & 250gig W.D.)
Netgear WGR614,GS608,GS605 x3

StephanK

Post by StephanK » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:22 pm

I want to add my 2 Cents here as well. The NAS Version (namely TeraStation Live) was the only reason why i bought Twonky a few weeks ago (despite knowing about the support problem)

I dont need a MediaServer for a Windows or Linux box - and sure wouldn't pay for one. I'd have never bought Twonky without the NAS installs (or a well documented manual install guide at least).

Drop enduser support / handholding for it, thats fine. User to User support here on the forum and the various vendor specific forums out there is sufficient. So by all means, drop technical support for NAS installs, add a huge disclaimer to the download page and the order page, but do continue to provide installers.

Do you really want to give up whatever portion of sales "us" NAS users generate?

Innovonet

Post by Innovonet » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:29 pm

Hello, I don´t know why there are so many installationproblems? There is a 30day testversion available, without support. So users can test installation before buying. If installation doesn´t work they won´t buy.
After buying they only need to enter their license and everything would be fine. So TM should only be delivered without installation support. Regards, Tom
Noxon2, Soundbridge1001, Showcenter200. NSLU2, FSG3, Intradisk. Fritzbox 7050

Psychodad

its so easy

Post by Psychodad » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:18 pm

Hi

I dont understand a) why everyone wants that installer, b) why it does not work so often.

The installer is really not needed, since the install is so easy:

1. Download an unzip the package, store it on your NAS (put it on a share)

2. Login to yout NAS (Telnet or SSH)

3. type cp /pathtoyourshare/tonkymedia /folderyoulike (Do mkdir /folderyoulike to make a new folder)

4. type cd /folderyoulike

5. type chmod 777 twonkymedia

6. Start the server: ./twonkymedia

To make it autostart after reboot have a look at the docs of your NAS, should be easy.

This does not even take 2mins and (I suppose) will work on any linux-box.

To make install easier, TW should provide .deb /.pkg files, like every other software does...

by

Psychodad
greetings from Zürich

Psychodad

raven

Re: Where's the NAS download link?

Post by raven » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:02 am

I think the NAS downloads are not available at all anymore, are they?

Magyarock

Post by Magyarock » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:38 pm

raven wrote:I think the NAS downloads are not available at all anymore, are they?
You can find them here:

http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/Tw ... cians.html

raven

Post by raven » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:20 am

Magyarock wrote:
raven wrote:I think the NAS downloads are not available at all anymore, are they?
You can find them here:

http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/Tw ... cians.html

Did you try the link? I tried it for several days but nothing. That's why i posted the question!

Taomyn

Post by Taomyn » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:49 am

I just did and it seems fine for me.

raven

Post by raven » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:38 am

ahh, the link must be twonkyvision.de and not twonkyvision.com, now it works

Magyarock

Post by Magyarock » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:22 pm

raven wrote:ahh, the link must be twonkyvision.de and not twonkyvision.com, now it works
The link to twonkyvision.com works for me. I tried it just a minute ago :D

keithdw

Post by keithdw » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:26 pm

I to am having trouble finding a download for a NAS version of twonky. I've been using Twonky for years on Buffalo Linkstations which has recently been updated to a Synology 207+, which is excellent and runs twonkymedia 4.4.9 with no problems at all, installs like a charm.

Now I cannot even download the old versions, never mind the new one. This is very disappointing as I liked twonky so much when I first tried it that I bought a lifetime licence! Looks like I'll have to start searching for a replacement, shame really!

p1tst0p
AV Hardware:Thecus N3200 NAS, PS3, Xbox360

Post by p1tst0p » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:04 pm

None of the links above work for the latest download..

I dont need an installer.. just the latest powerpc binaries for my Thecus N3200 ?

Regards

Will

cwuff
AV Hardware:DNS-323
XBox-360
Vista

Post by cwuff » Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:56 am

I purchased a DLink DNS-323 for the purposes of having a NAS-based UPnP server and, after getting the telnet server running, one of the first things I tried was installing TwonkyVision 4.4.9. I didn't run into any real problems, and it's been working well with our setup now. However - I didn't register it at the time, just wanting to make sure everything was good. I'm glad that I don't need to have my main computer on to listen to my music or play videos, and with the NAS right next to my media centre, I can stream content over a wired connection easily.

I now have 18 days left in the Trial period, yet: You've made a product I'm willing to spend money on. And you've made it impossible for me.

Could you please either (a) let us purchase a license for 4.4.9 again, or, preferably, (b) make an install for v5.0 available, and I'll buy a license for that one?

I can appreciate the hassles of dealing with people who have trouble installing the software - but that kind of issue can be alleviated by better documentation and forums like these. Please don't just drop those of us who want to use your product in their media systems.

Thank you.
Wuff.

dbarallat
AV Hardware:DNS323, DENON S31

Post by dbarallat » Thu Jan 08, 2009 12:10 am

I've just installed smoothly twonky media server 30days trial on my new Dlink DNS323 NAS and it works ok! (version 4.4.9)

Now I'm interested on buying the full license but as long as it is not version 5.0 I am unable to do that. I've emailed Twonky asking for the possibility to buy a 4.4.x server license. I'll post answer...

Dani.

:?:

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Post by Briain » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:03 pm

Hi

If you look about in this forum, it seems that the TMS5 can be used it to activate TMS4.4.9. I've also seen another post (on another forum) stating that a ReadyNAS user has just used that technique to activate TMS449 on their ReadyNAS Duo. This is very good news as I will soon need to buy a licence for TM4 on a friend's new ReadyNAS.

Note: Don't accidentally buy a TMM1 licence as I've read that it will certainly NOT work with TMS449

Bri
Last edited by Briain on Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

oilytin

Post by oilytin » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:39 am

New NAS download link Here!

spe
AV Hardware:Synology 207+ NAS
Popcornhour A100
Hauppage MVP

Post by spe » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:38 am

A big Thank You to Twonky for re-considering and making the builds available again. And of course for continuing to update 4.4.x beyond 4.4.9 even after 5.0 is out.

cwuff
AV Hardware:DNS-323
XBox-360
Vista

Post by cwuff » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:54 am

Thank you for the upgrade to 4.4.11, and the confirmation about the Media Server 5 license working with it. I have since upgraded the software and purchased a license, and everything is working well! :)

ubersteve

Post by ubersteve » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:19 pm

Does this 4.4.11 release now recognize a radio.m3u playlist?

chrische
AV Hardware:Linkstation Live
Playstation 3

Post by chrische » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:39 pm

I have still problems with the Playlists. Twonky 4.4.11 is running fine. I tryed 5 but there are Problems with large MP3 and Photo directories. Read it on a few forums. So Twonky 4.4.11 is running with large ones but I can´t get Playlists to work.
Any Idea ?

stammerman
AV Hardware:NaimUniti
Netgear Ready NasDuo

Post by stammerman » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:49 pm

oilytin wrote:New NAS download link Here!
Hi!

I've just bought a Netgear ReadyNAS DuO. Does anyone know if the "Netgear DG834GT" download from the link above is compatible?

Cheers,

Martin

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Post by PeeBee » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:33 pm

Hi Martin

Not sure about your question but look on the Netgear part of the forum - there are some special builds available from there that are newer than 4.4.11.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

stammerman
AV Hardware:NaimUniti
Netgear Ready NasDuo

Post by stammerman » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:04 am

Thanks for the info. - Should have looked there first of course!

Cheers,

Martin