"connection to your computer was lost" with xbox 3

Other OS or NAS discussions
AlanW
"connection to your computer was lost" with xbox 3

Post by AlanW » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:02 am

With my xbox 360 I am trying to stream video and music from my edmini 500GB NAS. It works fine in Itunes as a media server and on windows MP 11 in vista. But when I try to connect to it through my xbox it says "connection to your computer was lost"

It's driving me mad. Sometimes it also gives an error message about a firewall might be blocking it but this is random and sporadic when it reports this.

EDIT
I've now found I can play music through the media server if I allow it a long time to build the playlist of music (5000+ songs), I still get the connection error but it seems to go through ok. However the video section still gives me the connection error.

I can also do the same with pictures. It claims it can't connect but when I force it to do a slide show from my PC it works

It's also weird because if I connect to my Vista PC as the video/pictures source I only see my "users/me/downloads" or "users/public/pictures" folders with one folder inside it. Although on my PC I see everything through MP 11 just fine videos/pics/music all through the same NAS drive. So the media server is working, just not properly with my xbox.

help!!! ;)

Alan

tgibbons

Post by tgibbons » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:40 am

I am having the exact same problem. Just like you it appears very intermittent but once it stops working it seems to stop working for quite a while, irrespective of what I reboot etc.

If there are any log files that I can share then someone please let me know. I hope someone can help us resolve this issue.

Stippy420

Post by Stippy420 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:00 pm

I'm getting the same thing as of this morning. Last night I was able to stream audio and video from my ReadyNAS NV+, now I'm lucky if I can get through 30 seconds of an mp3.

As for video, I get the message that it can't play it. If I retry several times, I can get it to start playing but then errors out saying it can't play it. I'm assuming it's related. =)

The only thing that's changed since last night was the 360 being turned off.

Any help would be appreciated! =)

PaulYork2004

connection to your computer was lost" with xbox 360

Post by PaulYork2004 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:29 pm

Hmmm,

I'm suffering from this too although with a 1TB Bufallo Terrastation. We've had no software changes or network changes and all of a sudden the 360 is reporting a broken connection? The only thing that has changed is I'v added a few more encoded dvd's to my film collection (~5).

I can't stream video, music or pictures?

I have noticed when using the web browser to connect to the software that the pages are randomly not being served - or my laptop can't connect either?

Can anyone help with what logging we can turn on to help identify the issue?

I'm a total linux novice so any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul.[/quote]

rsteenstra

Post by rsteenstra » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:16 pm

I had similar issues and did the following to solve it:
- Go to the twonky configuration page and select clients/security
- Make sure that it says 'XBOX 360' next to the IP address of the 360
- If not, select it manually or click the 'Reset client table button'

In my case, the IP address of the XBOX had been changed as a result of a router reboot.

Hope this helps.

Raymond

PaulYork2004

Post by PaulYork2004 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:28 pm

I tried this but unfortunately it never helped.

In the end I've re-installed twonky (the latest version) and this seemed to cure it partially.

I say partially as I've found the twonkymedia service continually reboots as soon as I add my photos to be shared. - I'm guessing this is due to a bad file somewhere???

Currently the NAS is serving music and films ok, but not photos so I'll have to revisit this when I can spend some time getting to grips with linux to find out what's going on and possibly moving sets of photo's onto a new share to see if I can isolate a cause?

Any other ideas very welcome.

Thanks,

Paul.

AlanW

Post by AlanW » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:03 pm

- Go to the twonky configuration page and select clients/security
- Make sure that it says 'XBOX 360' next to the IP address of the 360
- If not, select it manually or click the 'Reset client table button'
where is this option on the admin page? I am on 1.1.1 software and I can't find it anywhere.

Thanks
Alan