DirecTV HR20 & NAS w/Twonky; Recommendation ?

Other OS or NAS discussions
thekochs
DirecTV HR20 & NAS w/Twonky; Recommendation ?

Post by thekochs » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:38 pm

I have a DirecTV HD DVR HR20 and I know thru their Forum (DBSTalk.com) that I can install Twonky on my WinXP PC and serve music & photos to the HR20. I've been told I need to LPCM add-on to transcode the music since HR20 only support LPCM format for audio.

Anyway, I don't want my PC booted all the time so Im looking for a simple HDD NAS that can hook to my Linksys router where the HR20 can access the music and photos. I been doing some ready and alot of NAS talk about Media Server capabilities but not sure if that suffices with HR20 alone. For example: Buffalo LinkStation HS-DxxxGL. I've read where Twonky can be installed on this device since it is Linux. Does a NAS really have enough CPU power to decode/transcode the music ? I ask becaue HR20 needs the LPCM add-on to transcode MP3 to LPCM.

Is there a recommendation on a simple HDD/NAS that Twonky runs cleanly on that would allow the HR20 to play music and photos ? How does the LPCM add-on come into play in this scenario as far as download/install/add-on ?

raven

Re: DirecTV HR20 & NAS w/Twonky; Recommendation ?

Post by raven » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:27 am

thekochs wrote:I have a DirecTV HD DVR HR20 and I know thru their Forum (DBSTalk.com) that I can install Twonky on my WinXP PC and serve music & photos to the HR20. I've been told I need to LPCM add-on to transcode the music since HR20 only support LPCM format for audio.

Anyway, I don't want my PC booted all the time so Im looking for a simple HDD NAS that can hook to my Linksys router where the HR20 can access the music and photos. I been doing some ready and alot of NAS talk about Media Server capabilities but not sure if that suffices with HR20 alone. For example: Buffalo LinkStation HS-DxxxGL. I've read where Twonky can be installed on this device since it is Linux. Does a NAS really have enough CPU power to decode/transcode the music ? I ask becaue HR20 needs the LPCM add-on to transcode MP3 to LPCM.

Is there a recommendation on a simple HDD/NAS that Twonky runs cleanly on that would allow the HR20 to play music and photos ? How does the LPCM add-on come into play in this scenario as far as download/install/add-on ?
I can recommend the conceptronic chs3nas, it is a 2 bay nas, very power efficient, has a build in mediaserver but allows twonky to be installed. the device is exactly the same as the dlink DNS323 but quite a bit cheaper.

thekochs

Post by thekochs » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:33 pm

raven wrote: I can recommend the conceptronic chs3nas, it is a 2 bay nas, very power efficient, has a build in mediaserver but allows twonky to be installed. the device is exactly the same as the dlink DNS323 but quite a bit cheaper.
Do you have a link to it ? I can't find on web.

Do you know if the Twonky LPCM transcoder can be installed on it ?

Thx.

raven

Post by raven » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:09 pm

[/quote]

Do you have a link to it ? I can't find on web.

Do you know if the Twonky LPCM transcoder can be installed on it ?

Thx.[/quote]

http://www.conceptronic.nl/site/desktop ... od=CH3SNAS

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=509

http://forum.dsmg600.info/f3-DNS323-Gen ... ssion.html

i dont know about your last question, i run twonky 4.4.3.1 (the dns323 version) on it and that works fine

steve0
AV Hardware:AV hardware

Post by steve0 » Tue May 06, 2008 5:33 am

I can't find on web too!