Twokymedia 4.4.3.1 on Buffalo Terrastation Pro hangs

Other OS or NAS discussions
ameisenbaer
Twokymedia 4.4.3.1 on Buffalo Terrastation Pro hangs

Post by ameisenbaer » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:51 am

Yestrerday I upgraded my Buffalo Terrastation Pro with the latest TwonkyMedia release 4.4.3.1 and experienced first time ever problems with the software. Right after installation everything seemed to run fine but then suddenly the web frontend hang and could not be recovered. I tried a reboot of the Terrastation but it did not help. Finally I reinstalled TwonkMedia 4.4.3.1 (at least this worked) and the same issue again. After four or five new installations I finally managed to run TwonkyMedia without hang (I operated the web frontend very gently :D ) but then my steaming clients (Buffalo Linktheatre, Yamaha RX-V2700, Roku Soundbridge) lost connection sporadically.

In the end I downgraded to 4.4 (which I fortunately had saved in my software archives) and things ran perfect again.

Had anyone outthere experienced the same problems with 4.4.3.1 on a NAS? And far more important has a solution for this problems?

ameisenbaer

Found out myself

Post by ameisenbaer » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:39 pm

I meanwhile found out why Twonkymedia 4.3.3.1 hung. I seems that it had something to do with my pictures stored on my Terrastation. If I excluded them from the Twonkymedia search path everthing worked fine. I did some more research and found that my DVD cover art pictures were the reason for the hang. I downsized them from 3200x2000 pixels to about 1600x1000 and Twonkymedia ran perfect even with the pictures in the search path.

If the problem was connected with the high resolution of the pictures or with something else I could not definitelly say. May be ThumbsPlus (the program I used for resizeing) did anything else to the JPG format when downsizing the pictures.

StephanK

Re: Found out myself

Post by StephanK » Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:43 pm

Sorry to butt in like that, but where did you find a 4.4.3.1 download for TeraStation? I only seem to find 4.4.2..

ameisenbaer

Re: Found out myself

Post by ameisenbaer » Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:12 pm

StephanK wrote:Sorry to butt in like that, but where did you find a 4.4.3.1 download for TeraStation? I only seem to find 4.4.2..
Try http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/Tw ... cians.html

I downloaded the "Buffalo TeraStation Pro (PPC)" version which says in the revision histroy that it is a 4.4.3.1.

thomaslea
AV Hardware:Buffalo Terastation Pro

Re: Twokymedia 4.4.3.1 on Buffalo Terrastation Pro hangs

Post by thomaslea » Mon May 19, 2008 2:03 am

I also have this exact same problem.

I first flashed my TSP with http://downloads.nas-central.org/TSProI ... o_104c.zip (the AD version 1.04). Then I ran the 4.4 installer downloaded from Twonky today (where do you see the minor version numbers to get 4.4.3.1? ). It installs and initially runs fine.

Then I click on the shares to configure them. First I set up the shares the way I wanted them (with all my music, photos, videos) and then noticed that my Xbox 360 and PS3 could not see the server. So I rebooted the TSP. The web interface comes up initially, but when I click on the shares link it locks up and no longer responds. Then rebooting doesnt help and its unresponsive. "/etc/init.d/twonky stop" does not shut it down either (I have to resort to killing processes). I reflashed my TSP with various other firmwares (non AD also) and reinstalled Twonky with the same results. Heck, after reading about this post I initially pointed Twonky at a bogus directory without media and it sill did the same thing.

I would love to get this working! How/where can I download an older release before this problem existed? Or does anyone have any other suggestions to try?

ameisenbaer

Post by ameisenbaer » Sun May 25, 2008 11:00 am

thomaslea wrote:where do you see the minor version numbers to get 4.4.3.1? ).
The minor version numbers are shown in the revision history of the ZIP and in the header of the Twonky configuration pages.
So I rebooted the TSP. The web interface comes up initially, but when I click on the shares link it locks up and no longer responds.

And you are sure that Twonk was launched on your NAS server after reboot? May be you see only the browser cache when you try to open the Twonky configuration pages. I ask this because I had problems with the Twonky installer which was not able to create some directories needed for autostart of Twonky on my Terastation.

Just to be sure that Twonky runs try "ps -A" on the Terastation console. Twonkyvision should show up as a running process. If not Twonky was simply not started after your Terastation reboot.

thomaslea
AV Hardware:Buffalo Terastation Pro

Post by thomaslea » Sun May 25, 2008 8:35 pm

Yes, I'm sure twonky was running (see my subsequent comment about not being able to stop it and having to resort to killing the processes).

Any suggestions on getting Twonky to work with my Terastation Pro ? I'm willing to reflash my Terastation with any firmware. What is a known working configuration of Terastation firmware and Twonky?

Thanks!

joergl2007
AV Hardware:LinkTheater PC-P3LWG/DVD, TeraStation HD-HTGL/R5, Twonky 4.4.5

Post by joergl2007 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:26 pm

First flash your TeraStation Pro TS-TGL/R5 with itimpis firmware-version 1.12a (telnet enabled from stock with user myroot, no password), downloadable here.

Then download the Twonky-Installer for PPC-based Teras from here.

Please note the root-user is myroot, if using itimpis firmware.

Have fun!

BTW: this is for PPC-based TeraStation Pro, Model name TS-TGL/R5.
If you have ARM-based TeraStation Pro II, Model name TS-HTGL/R5 then the above shown links are not working.