WD My book world edition

Other OS or NAS discussions
jermaine
AV Hardware:Terratec Noxion, WD My Book World Edition
WD My book world edition

Post by jermaine » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:41 pm

Hi,

I have a WD My book World Edition 500GB, but i cannot connect to my terratec noxion. I have Mp3s files on my WD but from my noxion i do not have access to my WD. Just need help to get access from my noxion to my HDD external.

Thanks

Continuity
AV Hardware:Twonky Server running on a MyBook.
Xbox 360 as Client.

Re: WD My book world edition

Post by Continuity » Tue May 27, 2008 6:29 am

Hi There.

Have you actually installed Twonky onto your MyBook?? and verified it is running?

PopePhil
AV Hardware:Freecom FSG-3, Playstation PS3

Post by PopePhil » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:06 am

isn't the WD Worldbook just an external storage device that uses a CAT5 connector into a switch/router/whatever? - I don't think it can take extra software

Continuity
Xbox 360 as Client.

Post by Continuity » Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:28 am

Hi,

It can take extra software, mines running twonky, well actually its running another upnp server.

Basicly the mybook is a ARM processor powered linux (gumstixx) box.

PopePhil

Post by PopePhil » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:41 pm

hmmm. hadn't realised that. I have a 1TB WD WB - I wouldnt have bothered with getting a FSG-3 as well if I'd realised.

I'm very intrigued as to how to do get this running

Continuity
Xbox 360 as Client.

Post by Continuity » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:19 pm

quiet easy really.

Have a read of this site

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/

and more specificly this page

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t- ... sible-clue

Will explain all :D

PopePhil

Post by PopePhil » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:09 pm

ta for that. I think I'm going to have to hit LINUX for Idiots before I try anything

Continuity
Xbox 360 as Client.

Post by Continuity » Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:36 pm

Linux, is easy.... ish :d

Once you get over how diffrent it is to windows, it really starts to make sence.

StuartGrace
AV Hardware:LINN Trendmicro

Post by StuartGrace » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:48 pm

Just thought this might be helpfull.

Using the instructions mentioned in the previous posts, I managed to succesfully install twonkymedia server on Mybookworld 1TB.

Before doing this, however, I installed telnet so I could access the OS to enable me to download twonky and install it. It's safer to use SSH but I prefere telnet.

However, one important point. I have installed telnet to two mybookworlds (Edition II and the normal edition but both 1TB NAS versions). After doing this, both devices would randomly freeze and I would loose connection to the device (both in windows and at a media streaming level). Power reset required using the glowing blue button.

I fixed this problem by disabling mionet software by editing the post_network file and commenting out the line that starts mionet. I can only assume that the problem was created by a lack of memory or procesor power, so by disabling mionet resulted in freeing up more memory and processor.

Twonkymedia server has been working on my father's mybookworld for a couple of weeks without any problem (he is using a linn system). He has been riping cds to it all the time (he has over 600 cds to upload to it, plus all the MP3s). If you need any more advise just reply back.

The disabling of the mionet software was critical.

steveds
AV Hardware:mybookworld 2

Post by steveds » Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:44 pm

Hi guys, well basically to start with i've got some knowledge of all this but i am still pretty much a noob! ha! I have a Majik DS and a Western Digital Mybookworld edition 2. With this i want my nokia n810 to stream the music to my ds threw my nas drive but for this i need to install twonky onto my nas drive, i saw a post about usr/local/ but i cant find this anywhere please could some one give me abit more (step by step please :] )of a desriptive installation guide to install it, will be very very grateful i've been at this for about a week! Thanks alot, Steve!

Gilrod

Post by Gilrod » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:14 pm

I followed the various instructions on the above mentioned sites, and got it all running relatively easily, even disable the mionet processes too (hoorah), anyway, I've had the thing lockup twice in 24hrs...

1. You can still connect to it via the shares.
2. Connecting via web to the mybook stuff doesn't work, it just keeps timing out.
3. Connecting to twonky also just times out.

I appreciate that this isn't really a Twonky issue, but has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

Continuity
Xbox 360 as Client.

Post by Continuity » Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:16 pm

I can still connect to the shares.

The web interface still works

My MyBook has never stopped responding.

Sounds like you may have nurfed something...