TwonkyMedia let Synology 107+ bog down

Other OS or NAS discussions
jochen
AV Hardware:Synology 107+, Helios 5000
TwonkyMedia let Synology 107+ bog down

Post by jochen » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:19 am

Hello,
i´am newbie and don´t know such lot about linux and there filestructure with TM.

I did install the Version 5.0.68 of TM.

At the next morning My NAS hold on and i couldn´t reach web interface and my mapped folders.

I found out, that in usr folder TM is using the hole disk space. There are 0 bytes free anymore on dev/hda1. So NAS can´t start some services anymore. I deleted the folder /usr/twonkymedia. Then i have about 63 % free disk space. On the next morning the same procedure.

I don´t know, what TM is doing or saving there. How can i configurate TM, that my NAS will work properly? Please describe in a detailed way, because my Linux knowlegement ist not so good.

Thank you,
Jochen

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Re: TwonkyMedia let Synology 107+ bog down

Post by Briain » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:20 pm

Hi Jochen

On a Netgear ReadyNAS, Twonky 5.0.xx database for 17,000 FLAC tracks (and using the PV supplied tree) is about 3GB; /dev/hdc1 on a Netgear ReadyNAS is under 1.9GB, so you can see what the problem is!

If you do a search for 'symlink' in this forum, you'll find people have to use a symlink (symbolic link) to move Twonky onto the main part of the drive (there's a very good description about how to do this for a D-Link 323 NAS; the process will be very similar for your one).

If you first remove Twonky 5, then create the symlink from /dev/hdc1 to a folder on the main partition, the next installation of Twonky 5.0.xx will place the database and cache files to that folder and thus leave /dev/hdc1 alone.

Hope that helps.

PS Note to PV:

It's really great that these NAS builds are still available, as we can at least adapt them to give us something that will give us a working system, but what really concerns me is that there should be a big and very noticeable warning on the download page to let people know that many of these NAS builds are development only builds and that installing them as they are (without creating Linux symlinks) will break your NAS. Please address this PV, it really is a bit naughty to have no warning about this; we've all known about it for quite some time and there's no dispute about the results. For many people, this will mean loss of NAS functionality and for some, the only easy solution will be a total NAS rebuild; that could mean loss of all their data if they don't have a backup!

Bri

jochen
AV Hardware:Synology 107+, Helios 5000

Re: TwonkyMedia let Synology 107+ bog down

Post by jochen » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:36 am

the solution was

- deinstall TM
- remove folder /var/twonkymedia
- create a symlink from /var/twonkymedia -> <volume folder with a lot space>
- install TM

Thank you for help! :wink: