Twonky Server 5.1 does not work with Link Station Live

Other OS or NAS discussions
flo10001
AV Hardware:Buffola Link Station Live
clients are windows pcs
Twonky Server 5.1 does not work with Link Station Live

Post by flo10001 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:24 pm

Hello guys,

I was sucessfully using twonky sever 5.0.68 on my linkstation.
Nevertheless I tried to update to the latest release (5.1.2). After updating the software the server is not starting up properly.
I tried a back-to-back-test - it is working again with the old version.

In the server status I see always that the database change is "in progress".

Last database change: In Progress
[-/var/twonkymedia/twonkymedia-server-uploaded-music]...

I have to add, that in these directories some file (possible from older upload tests) were located - I deleted them all to avoid any confusion.

I tried "Rescan", "Database Rebuild", ....
Attached you can find the log.

(Hardware is a Buffalo Link Station Live , using different clients on windows pcs - however problem is present with the web config page)

What else can I try ?

Cheers
Attachments
link_log.txt
Logfile
(215.03KiB)Downloaded 412 times

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Re: Twonky Server 5.1 does not work with Link Station Live

Post by PeeBee » Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:26 pm

The problem is that the /var folder is on a small partition on the LS Live (and Pro) so fills up quickly after which the NAS grinds to a halt.

You need to either symlink the /var/twonkymedia folder to a new location on your main partition (in /mnt/disk1) or use the -appdata switch when starting Twonky so that it stores the files somewhere on the main partition.

Look for posts in here by Georg as he has got it working - I've not bothered since the 5.1 Betas and stick to 4.4.18 which works fine on my LS Pro. Also look here - http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/viewforum.php?f=39 and look for Georg's posts on the last page.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

flo10001
AV Hardware:Buffola Link Station Live
clients are windows pcs

Post by flo10001 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:15 am

Hi PB,

thanks for the replay. I looked for the post - below the link if others are interested.

http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... 965#p26965

However I had problems to get my server running.

In the end it was working, when I perfomed these steps.

1.) Killed the twonky process
2.) Create a new directory for the database content on /mnt/disk1/twonkydb
3.) Deleted the /var/twonkymedia folder
4.) Create a symbolic link /var/twonkymedia to the new destination (/mnt/disk1/twonkydb)
5.) Restat Twonky - Configure all settings (including license keys).

In the end I am wondering if the "(1),(3),(5)" would have been enough. Maybe others can try.
However be aware when nuking the directory that all settings (including licencse key) are lost..
However I set it up in one minute.

5.1.2 running on linkstation. :mrgreen:

cheers
flo

PeeBee

Post by PeeBee » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:13 pm

Glad you got it working - I might have to try it soon and see if it is any better than the 5.1 Betas.

I don't think using your (1), (3) and (5) would have solved anything as it would still be using /var which will give the same issue due to its limited size.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

hpeyton
AV Hardware:Buffalo Linkstation Live

Post by hpeyton » Sat Jan 02, 2010 7:03 am

I wanted to post my trials with the 5.1 install on Link Station Live as well. I used the 5.1.2 Linkstation Pro installer since I have always had issues with the "Live" installer. I was upgrading from 4.4.18 which worked well but I wanted to upgrade to check out the features of 5.1.2.

I had the same issue that the first guy had with the browser completely freezing, I couldn't even save configs or my license key, and the server sometimes became unstable and I would have to power cycle it. I went through and tried to walk through the steps outlined.

1) shutdown twonky server
2) created twonkydb directory
3) remove var/twonky files
5) create symbolic link between the var/twonky and a new mnt/disk1/twonkydb directory
I am no linux guy so I assume that typing ln -s /mnt/disk1/twonkydb /var/twonky was the correct way to build the link
I still saw files being created in the var directory?? They were also being created in the /twonkydb directory as well
5) Restarted server and it doesn't work

I went back to 4.4.18 and no problems. I did this 3 times tonight with not good results. I'd love to hear about how you got this running. If you could put together a little tutorial I'd really appreciate it.

PeeBee

Post by PeeBee » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:57 am

It will appear as though files are being created in /var/twonky but they are actually being created in /mnt/disk1/twonkydb. Check the files in both folders and they should be the same. Linux/Unix links aren't the same as Windows shortcuts.

i.e. if you cd /var/twonky and do an ls -l you will see the files in /mnt/disk1/twonkydb. Make sure that you have deleted the real /var/twonky before creating the link (ln -sf does this for you).

Code: Select all

Usage: ln [OPTION] TARGET... LINK_NAME|DIRECTORY

Create a link named LINK_NAME or DIRECTORY to the specified TARGET

You may use '--' to indicate that all following arguments are non-options.

Options:
        -s      make symbolic links instead of hard links
        -f      remove existing destination files
        -n      no dereference symlinks - treat like normal file
        -b      make a backup of the target (if exists) before link operation
        -S suffix       use suffix instead of ~ when making backup files
You can also try starting the server with the -appdata switch. Edit the /etc/init.d/twonky.sh script to add
-appdata /mnt/disk1/twonkydb
to the startup line.

PB

hpeyton

Post by hpeyton » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:36 pm

PeeBee,

When you say add the -appdata /mnt/disk1/twonkydb to the startup script do you mean in the rcS file or the twonky.sh?

I figured it would go in the rcS file to start the twonky server.

end of rcS:
/etc/init.d/twonky start

should I change it to:
/etc/init.d/twonky start -appdata /mnt/disk1/twonkydb

PeeBee

Post by PeeBee » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:02 am

No, it is the twonky script file that needs to change - rcS just calls the twonky script with the start parameter.

See Georg's example here - http://forum.buffalo.nas-central.org/vi ... 74#p134034

Note the script ay be called twonky or twonky.sh (mine is just twonky).

PB

hpeyton

Post by hpeyton » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:00 am

Got it. I changed the twonky script file and it copies the files in the twonkydb folder. I am now having issues with the webpage not coming up. It looks like the process is running but the webpage will not display.

root@MEDIA_SERVER:~# ps | grep twonky
1714 root 1696 S /mnt/disk1/twonky/twonkymedia
1715 root Z [twonkymediaserv]
1988 root 3368 R grep twonky

I went back to 4.4.18 and it worked then upgraded and haven't changed the twonky file to the -appdata for this test. I know it works because it did last time I tried.

I don't understand why the webpage isn't even working now.

can you give me the commands to start and stop the twonky server instead of rebooting? I only know:
./twonky start in the init.d directory but it will still keep the logging going.

edit**********************

now process with the -appdata
root@MEDIA_SERVER:~# ps | grep twonky
1707 root 1696 S /mnt/disk1/twonky/twonkymedia -appdata /mnt/disk1/two
2304 root Z [twonkymediaserv]
2532 root 3368 R grep twonky
root@MEDIA_SERVER:~#

I don't see a twonkymedia folder in the /var folder anymore

Thanks again.

mdamm2010
AV Hardware:LS-CHL 1 TB, Firmware 1.21

Post by mdamm2010 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:24 pm

flo10001 wrote:I tried to update to the latest release (5.1.2). After updating the software the server is not starting up properly.

In the server status I see always that the database change is "in progress".

Last database change: In Progress
[-/var/twonkymedia/twonkymedia-server-uploaded-music]...

(Hardware is a Buffalo Link Station Live , using different clients on windows pcs - however problem is present with the web config page)
I have excatly the same problem, and I also can not access the web interface. The server is visible, but without any files. It looks like Twonky hung up while updating the database. I tried already the workaround with a link "ln -s /mnt/disk1/twonkydb /var/twonkymedia", but same result. When I start Twonky I see the following (see below). Any idea, what is wrong?

root@LS-CHL-V23B1:/var# /etc/init.d/twonky
route: SIOCADDRT: File exists
root@LS-CHL-V23B1:/var# TwonkyMedia Version 5.1.2
using logfile /tmp/TwonkyMediaServer-log.txt

For image conversion and scaling the TMS utilizes ImageMagick. For details on th
e license please see /mnt/disk1/share/twonky/cgi-bin/convert-readme.txt
need more main nodes upnp_database_create_filtered_view (14)
need more main nodes upnp_database_create_filtered_view (15)
need more main nodes upnp_database_create_filtered_view (9)
need more main nodes upnp_database_create_filtered_view (17)
need more main nodes upnp_database_create_filtered_view (13)
need more main nodes upnp_database_create_filtered_view (10)
need more main nodes upnp_database_create_filtered_view (11)

dantrevino
AV Hardware:samsung b750
ps3

Post by dantrevino » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:37 pm

This is OT sorta-kinda, but I just had the same message running server 5.1.2 on a Linux PC.

Server was indexing files extremely slowly. Its been over 2 days for < 900 videos, and hasnt even started my music or picture folders.