how to turn off or disable twonky

Other OS or NAS discussions
evildick
AV Hardware:wd sharespace
how to turn off or disable twonky

Post by evildick » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:26 pm

how to turn off twonky

i have a western digital sharespace the old firmware had an option to turn off twonky
the new firmware doesnt
this affects the 3 beyonwiz settop boxes in the house makeing it so i cannot see the videos on my sharespace
i dont want twonky now can someone plz help and tell me how to turn it off or disable it

thanks in advance

eric90066
AV Hardware:Windows 7

Re: how to turn off or disable twonky

Post by eric90066 » Thu Nov 25, 2010 6:05 pm

To stop twonky enter: "http://<twonky ip address>:9000/rpc/stop" (no quotes) in your browser.

To remove, run the twonky nassetup.exe and check "uninstall old server".

jblume

Post by jblume » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:05 am

"To stop twonky enter: "http://<twonky ip address>:9000/rpc/stop" (no quotes) in your browser."

This doesn't seem to persist after a reboot or power cycle.

"To remove, run the twonky nassetup.exe and check "uninstall old server"."

How would one do the above on a Mac?

Thanks,
jb

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Post by PeeBee » Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:38 pm

jblume wrote:How would one do the above on a Mac?
I can understand the problem for a NAS user but surely if Twonky is installed on a Mac or PC and you don't want it you just uninstall the application?

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)

parnott
AV Hardware:Twonky, WDTV Live, XBMC (Linux & Windows)

Post by parnott » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:28 pm

PeeBee wrote:
I can understand the problem for a NAS user but surely if Twonky is installed on a Mac or PC and you don't want it you just uninstall the application?

PB
It is not really a Twonky problem it is the way WD have configured the device. You might want to ask the question in the WD forum http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-ShareSpa ... sharespace
They may have a solution.

jblume

Post by jblume » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:58 pm

[quote="PeeBee"][quote="jblume"]How would one do the above on a Mac?[/quote]

PB[/quote]

I am a NAS user. I should have said, "how do you remove a NAS Twonky installation via a Mac." Since "nassetup.exe" isn't much use to me, even if I was sure I found the right version, which is not easy. I did find one version, and I did try it under Boot Camp (XP), but it failed to make its telnet connection. Yes, I turned the XP firewall off.

I have emailed WD. There seem to be a lot people complaining about performance at the WD forum. I am not surprised with all of the useless stuff eating up bandwidth on it.

I am not a security expert, but the following are enabled of out the box on the WD My Book World, and which you wouldn't be aware of unless you went into "Advanced Settings:"

Twonky Server
iTunes Server
Mionet Server
(that's 3 remote access capable servers)
Several useless shares that just clutter my desk top and can't be deleted even from "Advanced".
"Time Machine User" user that can't be deleted, with a default password of "admin" (but at least doesn't have admin rights by default)
"root" enabled with a default password
(lots of people by these things and never change the passwords)
And finally it is implied that telnet is enabled.

Seems to be a lot of "ports of call" for the curious and less-well intentioned.

Twonky appears to have phoned home and registered itself, before I found it. Twonky and iTunes regularly re-index the drive. I still haven't figured out what Mionet was up to - a subscription service that still defaults on?

For my use, I do not need any of this but the "Public Share," and an admin user.

Yes, a lot of this is WD's doing, but Twonky is the one thing I really can't disable, and they are the ones with the Windows only solution.

parnott
AV Hardware:Twonky, WDTV Live, XBMC (Linux & Windows)

Post by parnott » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:59 pm

jblume wrote:
PeeBee wrote:

PB
I am a NAS user. I should have said, "how do you remove a NAS Twonky installation via a Mac." Since "nassetup.exe" isn't much use to me, even if I was sure I found the right version, which is not easy. I did find one version, and I did try it under Boot Camp (XP), but it failed to make its telnet connection. Yes, I turned the XP firewall off.

I have emailed WD. There seem to be a lot people complaining about performance at the WD forum. I am not surprised with all of the useless stuff eating up bandwidth on it.

I am not a security expert, but the following are enabled of out the box on the WD My Book World, and which you wouldn't be aware of unless you went into "Advanced Settings:"

Twonky Server
iTunes Server
Mionet Server
(that's 3 remote access capable servers)
Several useless shares that just clutter my desk top and can't be deleted even from "Advanced".
"Time Machine User" user that can't be deleted, with a default password of "admin" (but at least doesn't have admin rights by default)
"root" enabled with a default password
(lots of people by these things and never change the passwords)
And finally it is implied that telnet is enabled.

Seems to be a lot of "ports of call" for the curious and less-well intentioned.

Twonky appears to have phoned home and registered itself, before I found it. Twonky and iTunes regularly re-index the drive. I still haven't figured out what Mionet was up to - a subscription service that still defaults on?

For my use, I do not need any of this but the "Public Share," and an admin user.

Yes, a lot of this is WD's doing, but Twonky is the one thing I really can't disable, and they are the ones with the Windows only solution.
As far as I know I have never found any NAS box that provides an uninstall option for the pre-installed software. But it is not Twonky's fault, it is the way WD have configure the device.Twonky just supplies the software, WD configures how it operates on their device, starts-up, etc. You have to go and ask them how to stop running Twonky during start-up and how in general they have configured their hardware.

jblume

Post by jblume » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:12 pm

[quote="parnott"]
As far as I know I have never found any NAS box that provides an uninstall option for the pre-installed software. But it is not Twonky's fault, it is the way WD have configure the device.Twonky just supplies the software, WD configures how it operates on their device, starts-up, etc. You have to go and ask them how to stop running Twonky during start-up and how in general they have configured their hardware.[/quote]

According to eric90066, as well as the nassetup.exe interface, nassetup.exe can, but whatever...

PeeBee
AV Hardware:Buffalo LS Pro; PS3; Samsung LE37B650

Post by PeeBee » Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:05 pm

On a NAS you need to delete the startup script file that is running twonky, or remove the call to it from a system startup script file.

On my LS Pro I can delete (or rename) the file /etc/init.d/twonky.sh, or remove the entry that calls twonky.sh from within the /etc/init.d/rcS file. To do this you need to get telnet access to your NAS which is a whole new ball game.

PB
Samsung LE37B650T2WXXU; Liteon 5055GDL+ HDD/DVD Recorder; Playstation 3; Iomega Screenplay HD 500GB; Buffalo Linkstation Pro LS-320GL (running Twonky 6.0.30, SqueezeBox Server 7.6 and acting as a Print Server)