TwonkyMedia 6.0 & 6.0.30 falling over after 20 mins

Other OS or NAS discussions
wuffles
AV Hardware:Linkstation Live, a few PS3s, Samsung, Panasonic & Toshiba TVs
TwonkyMedia 6.0 & 6.0.30 falling over after 20 mins

Post by wuffles » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:55 pm

I am installing onto a Buffalo (won't buy again) Linkstation Live or something like that. It's their LS-CHL model with bittorrent and TimeMachine capabilities if it makes any sense to anyone.

Anyhoo, installed fine, works beautifully for around 20 mins and the process then dies.

Some background. I purchased a licence for Twonky when I found the original DLNA software with the NAS box was basically not going to play ball with a PS3 I had, opened the firmware and installed 4.4.18 or something. Worked fine. Only issue was the tracks not sorting correctly on a couple of Phillips Steamiums, but not the end of the world. Was used to dealing with juddering on PS3s whilst playing video by stopping and restarting the file every so often. This is on a Gig network btw. Wife's bought a TV for the bedroom, it's DLNA compliant and won't play half the things on the NAS through the "Viera Link".

Installed a copy of 6.030 on my Mac and it played things from that flawlessly, even over wireless (the Mac, not the TV) which inspired me to try and get a copy of 6.0.30 or thereabouts running on the NAS...herein lies the problem.

Anyone successfully got this working or should I ditch it completely (am absolutely not brand loyal to Buffalo, they've been sh*t from the start for support) and build a Raided Ubuntu box or something.

Thanks in advance.

Edited to show old working version now I have it back up and running on 4.4.18, although badly.

jerrytaff
AV Hardware:buffalo linkstation pro, Netgear EVA8000, Humax HDR FoxT2

Re: TwonkyMedia 6.0 & 6.0.30 falling over after 20 mins

Post by jerrytaff » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:10 pm

I've got 6.0.23 running fine on a Linkstation pro v1. Is it managing to get the end of indexing your files before falling over? If not, might it be a corrupt file or running out of space on the partition it is using for the indexing?

There have been some other posts where problems going from 4.4.x to 5.x or 6.x seemed to put the blame on changes to the directory structure and file sizes, such that the contents of the /var/twonkymedia directory fills the partition. The solution was to make room on /var by making /var/twonkymedia a symbolic link to a different partition. e.g. /mnt/disk1/twonkymedia.

Only some ideas as I haven't had any problems myself.......so far!

wuffles
AV Hardware:Linkstation Live, a few PS3s, Samsung, Panasonic & Toshiba TVs

Post by wuffles » Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:48 am

From memory I believe it had indexed everything and the status of the server was fine. I found a solution in the end though, can't believe I didn't think of it earlier. Sell the Buffalo NAS and it's poor support from Buffalo.

I bought a QNAP NAS box and it came preloaded with Twonky, QNAP themselves then provided me with a modified install for the latest version of Twonky and naturally it's all working fine now.

Thanks for the suggestions anyway.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:37 pm

As mentioned, it's because of the non-standard layout the device has. Use -appdir to relocate to somewhere with adequate space.

If you have any tips and tricks on how to get the server working, pehaps you might like to create a Linkstation Live page on the NAS Device Wiki? http://www.twonkyforum.com/mediawiki/in ... /Main_Page
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.