DNS-323 NAS & Transcoding (does it actually work?)

Other OS or NAS discussions
cvanoosbree
AV Hardware:Media Players / clients = PS3 / XB360 / WII & pc's
Media Storage = DNS-323
DNS-323 NAS & Transcoding (does it actually work?)

Post by cvanoosbree » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:32 am

Hi All,

Just realized that the server supposedly does transcoding of files (saw an option somewhere in the config page). Can someone advise whether it actually works and or it works for other devices (NAS's / etc) other than the one I have. I have been unable to test as its been taking me 2 days of straight copy across the network to my new disks and i think I still have 24 hours of transfers to go.

I have many different file types I would like to stream to the PS3 / XB360 and many of those are *.mkv / *.rmbv / *.rmv / *.flac which of course is not supported natively via those gaming consoles.

Cheers

parnott
AV Hardware:Twonky, WDTV Live, XBMC (Linux & Windows)

Re: DNS-323 NAS & Transcoding (does it actually work?)

Post by parnott » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:14 pm

Technically you may be able to install and configure the necessary software to do transcoding (i.e. ffmpeg and whatever is needed for FLAC)

But from a practical perspective the DNS-323 does not have the necessary performance to do transcoding. With a lot of tweaking you might be able to transcode audio, but video is almost certainly not possible.

cvanoosbree
Media Storage = DNS-323

Post by cvanoosbree » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:12 am

Thats what I was thinking. Currently transferring 4 tb to the new HD's is taking almost 3 days solid (non stop transfers). I had figured that the ARM proc would not be sufficient to nothing but file sharing / handling

Cheers

cvanoosbree
Media Storage = DNS-323

Post by cvanoosbree » Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:18 am

Question in relation that that reply, is there a 4+ bay NAS for home users that could support on the fly transcoding?

Twonky_Rick
AV Hardware:Samsung 650 Series TV (2010), 4.5TB HP MediaSmart server with 100,000 songs, 5) AT&T U-Verse STB, CE form-factor Media Center PC and 6 other networked PCs running TwonkyManager, 2 Sonos ZP80, Sonos S5 speaker, Apple TV (running XBMC), Roku Soundbridge, X-Box 360, Sony PS3, Kodak 10" Wireless Photo Frame, iPhone with PlugPlayer software, Sonos CR-100.

Post by Twonky_Rick » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:24 pm

It might be worth testing some of the NAS with Dual Core CPUs, but most of those are still Atom as well, so I'd be surprised if they can transcode HD video in realtime.

- Rick
Follow me on Twitter! mostlytech1
Checkout my blog: http://mostly-tech.com/