Problem with Twonky Media, updating database

Other OS or NAS discussions
guygamps
AV Hardware:QNAP TS 209II Pro NAS
Samsung LE40C580 TV (with DLNA media player)
Archos 5 media tablet
Desktop PC with win XP and WMP11
Laptop PC with Vista and WMP11
Problem with Twonky Media, updating database

Post by guygamps » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi

I have a 1TB QNAP TS209II NAS. I have had it 3 years so not a newbie to NAS.

But my use has been so far, to drag and drop all our media to it, and access that media a) from other PCs in house, and b) from TVIX M5000 media player in another room.

I've never until now looked at or even really understood what is Twonky Media which I see it supports.

Now I have a new Samsung LCD LE40C580 TV, it includes a mediaplayer and has option of network card. I bought the Wifi Network card for it and now via the network it seems the Twonkyvision host on my NAS, as well as the Windows Media Players on my PCs.

For the first time ever, I went to the TwonkyMedia settings of the QNAP and added the folders where I have media to the list of "shares" on the drive. Since I have 10 years of digital photos, 400 CDs, loads of vids, it took a few hours to scan the server and build (what I presume) is it;s database. Once that was done I could enjoy all that media on the player built in to the Samsung TV.

nice.... i thought.... now I understand Twonky Media.

Then, today I came in with my camera and copied about 20 photos and 5 short videos to a the QNAP. As before I do this through windows "CUT" and "Paste", so the files move from the SD card to the NAS.

I can see the files instantly from any PC on the network

But from the Samsung LCD I could not see the new files, just the files there since directories were first scanned

So... i think .... the Twonky Media needs to update it's database. So I open the webpage for configuring it and see that it is only to set to scan for new media every 120 minutes, there is a "help" note on that set up page saying that if you set Scan value to -1 then the NAS will watch those folders all the time and rescanning won't be necessary

So I set it to -1. anfd for good measure I also clicked on SCAN, and now..... when I go back to the LCD TV and open the media player, and open the Twonky Media NAS, there is nothing visible at all? All the photos in the Twonky database have disappeared

[B]all the media is stil there, I can see it beautifully on my PC,[/B]

What have I done wrong?

Does the TwonkyMedia system running on my NAS need to rescan the entire database when I have just added 20 pictures (in a few subfolder) to a collection of many 10s of thousands? this will take a very long time, it is now about 30 minutes and still no media is shown present when I check.

How can I drag new photos to the NAS, and [U]immediately[/U] see those photos on a media player that relies on TwonkyMedia

Please help.... thanks

p.s. I should add that the LCD TV supports media playback directly of an external USB disk without such problems, but... I don't want to keep moving disks around, I want to use my NAS to store everything and access from there

guygamps
AV Hardware:QNAP TS 209II Pro NAS
Samsung LE40C580 TV (with DLNA media player)
Archos 5 media tablet
Desktop PC with win XP and WMP11
Laptop PC with Vista and WMP11

Re: Problem with Twonky Media, updating database

Post by guygamps » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:52 pm

Can I add that my browser reports the "product" as:

MediaServer 4.4.9

Thinking that updating the firmware might be necessary, I went to "maintenance" page but there is nothing there about updating the Twonky Media Server on my NAS.

So another question, how do I update the firmware

GUY

parnott
AV Hardware:Twonky, WDTV Live, XBMC (Linux & Windows)

Re: Problem with Twonky Media, updating database

Post by parnott » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:10 pm

You would get better information in the QNAP forum here- http://forum.qnap.com/