Transcoding audio signals from sat receivers

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
MartinZ
Transcoding audio signals from sat receivers

Post by MartinZ » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:01 am

Hi,

I'm using twonkymedia as server for MP3's in my LAN, runs quite well now (version 4.3).

Does anyone know, if it's possible to connect real HW devices (satellite receivers, HiFi-equipment) to a PC and use twonkymedia to serve the audio signals from those devices to UPnP players?

Thanks, Martin

pt-1

Post by pt-1 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:06 am

The German Dbox2 Neutrino Tuxboxproject succesfully managed to include a Upnp client.

You can browse the Twonky's or others Upnp Servers content (At present only music as the Processor in the unit is only 66mhz)

There are other receivers out there that use the same or simular software (Relook or Dreambox)

kaaskop

Post by kaaskop » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:28 am

pt-1 wrote: You can browse the Twonky's or others Upnp Servers content (At present only music as the Processor in the unit is only 66mhz)

There are other receivers out there that use the same or simular software (Relook or Dreambox)
Hi pt-1,
as you mention "Dreambox" as a possible host for the TV Mediaserver - do you know anyone who has got TV Mediaserver 4.3 working on that platform ?
I am desparately trying, but cant get much progress on making it work on my Dreambox.
Thanks,
Cheesehead

pt-1

Post by pt-1 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:23 am

Hello KaeseKopf ;-)

you can find the original post/discussion http://tuxbox-forum.dreambox-fan.de/for ... hp?t=35514 about the Tuxbox Neutrino Upnp Browser.

At present the Dbox2 only enabeles Music. I am unsure what Upnp Client the Dreambox guys use as they like to not to open up their sources and keep their cards to their chest.

PT-1

kaaskop

Post by kaaskop » Fri Jun 01, 2007 10:49 am

Hi pt-1,
i wanna use the Dreambox as a (music) server - not interested in client functionality as i have my Roku Soundbridge boxes as clients. Although there is a version of TV mediaserver for the Dreambox (version 4.3, for both flavours of the Dreambox) - it seems that i am too stupid to get it working and i am looking for others who have installed it and working on this platform. It installs, can be started, the web interface works sometimes (there seem to be some Java scripts that screw the browser), but most importantly : the Roku clients do not recognize/find the TV mediaserver.

I have on the same network a Hermstedt Hifidelio with a bundled TV mediaserver - and this box is perfectly found by the Roku devices. The Hifidelio also sees the TV mediaserver on the Dreambox - but can not properly play music (like a "hang" situation after a few songs are played). for me indicating that TV can not even talk to itself ...

Any help or contacts you can provide ?
Thanks !

Cheesehead

Psychodad

other topic

Post by Psychodad » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:23 am

Hi

But, Martins question was about streaming analog input, not Dbox things!

I would also like to do that.

-There are lots of radio-stations on air without streaming (or not comatible formats). Would be nice to just connect your old UKW-radio to the server an stream that as mp3.
-Or those Realaudio (and others) Internetradio that can't be played your UPNP-Device.

It's possible to run Shoutcast Streaming-Software on a PC, but that's overkill and in my experiments not stable.

by

Psychodad
greetings from Zürich

Psychodad

pt-1

Post by pt-1 » Fri Jun 01, 2007 11:25 am

The Dbox can handle Shoutcast ;-)

@Kaeskopp

Maybe this forum can help you http://www.ip-phone-forum.de/forumdisplay.php?f=444 ...

It's in German ;-) and you can run a Twonky Server on the Fritz!Box

Psychodad

Dbox

Post by Psychodad » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:18 pm

[quote="pt-1"]The Dbox can handle Shoutcast ;-)
[/quote]

Hi

Don't now Dbox... does it have analog audio-in? And can it encode analog-audio to mp3 and stream it realtime?

That is the topic of this tread...

I am running twonky on NSLU2. USB-Soundcards are reportet to work with it and (I suppose) it has enough power to encode mp3 in realtime.
by

Psychodad
greetings from Zürich

Psychodad

MartinZ

USB sound card on NSLU2?

Post by MartinZ » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:14 pm

Thank You all for Your answers, it looks to me like not very many people try to connect audio equipment to computer networks.

@psychodad: I have a NSLU2 connected to some USB-disks, but I never tried to connect it to an USB sound card. I know that twonkymedia should be running on the NSLU2 (I did not try it until now). Do You know where I could find information about connecting USB sound cards to the NSLU2?

Thanks, Martin

Psychodad

Re: USB sound card on NSLU2?

Post by Psychodad » Fri Jun 01, 2007 1:23 pm

Hi MartinZ

Have a look at http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/SlugAsAudioPlayer

This is about audio-out... might work for input to.

I do not own a soundcard an so did not try --- it's just a dream ;-))

by

Psychdoad
greetings from Zürich

Psychodad