4.3 not saving registration key?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
chris_wtx

Post by chris_wtx » Thu Jun 07, 2007 3:45 pm

Sorry if this has already been posted, but is it a known problem that 4.3 fails to save the registration key? In my case, it will remember it for a few days of starting and stopping the server (I don't keep it running all the time), but then it will forget the key and force me to type it back in. Not a major pain, but sort of is since it always seems to happen when I'm short on time :).

Otherwise I love the product...I have tried Tversity and Windows Media Player and Twonky blows them both away in terms of stability and ease of use.

Thanks!

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff
AV Hardware:PC

Post by twonky-christian » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:08 pm

Hi,

we have heard this several times - but are unable to reproduce - so we need more info on the setup.

Are you using VISTA ?

May it happen that you have two servers running (one as a service and a second one launched via the desktop icon) ?

Thanks
Christian

chris_wtx

Post by chris_wtx » Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:48 pm

twonky-christian wrote:Hi,

we have heard this several times - but are unable to reproduce - so we need more info on the setup.

Are you using VISTA ?

May it happen that you have two servers running (one as a service and a second one launched via the desktop icon) ?

Thanks
Christian
Thanks for the reply Christian.

I am running XP and, as far as I can tell, only had/have once instance of Twonky running at a time. Normally I will activate Twonky when I am ready to watch a program, then terminate it when I am finished.

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff

Post by twonky-christian » Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:38 pm

hm,

can you verify that - after entering the key - it is really stored in the twonkyvision-mediaserver.ini file ?

thanks

typer

Post by typer » Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:55 pm

I changed the hostname of my NSLU2. Right afterwards the configuration was completely lost and the server was no longer registered. I don't know whether this is just a coincidence or causal.

I stopped the mediaserver, copied the config backup I had made before onto the ini file, restarted the NSLU, and then it was registered again.

In my case, this amnesia also affects the database. I had to delete the database several times to make the mediaserver recognize a playlist I had added.

I've got just a little more than 2000 music files, and the mediaserver is the only heavy-weight software on my NSLU, which is, by the way running at 266 MHz. Don't blame my setup. Until yesterday, there were also squid and a second instance of thttpd running on it without any problems, but I've put them on a second NSLU to give the mediaserver more room.

Currently, there are 9 (in words: nine) instances of the twonkymediaserver running on my little machine, plus one twonkymedia instance. No client is served at the moment.

I am forced to keep an eye on the mediaserver, which is the least I wish to do. I want software to ease my life, not to place a burdon on me. Sorry, I am usually not the complaining kind of person, but this had to be said.

Regards,
Andreas

chris_wtx

Post by chris_wtx » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:47 am

twonky-christian wrote:hm,

can you verify that - after entering the key - it is really stored in the twonkyvision-mediaserver.ini file ?

thanks
Yes, I can confirm that the registration key is saved in the twonkyvision-mediaserver file. I will check that file again when/if the problem reappears.

vistui

Post by vistui » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:19 pm

Hi,

I encountered the same problem. It looks I found a way to solve it. I found more then one twonky files in the windows/prefecth directory. After deleting these files only one twonky file reappeared . More important at this moment the problem has disappeared.

Good luck,

Henk Jan

w7

Post by w7 » Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:52 pm

I, too, confirm loss of the key. This is severely upsetting.

Server runs on XP Pro. Key loss observed after reboot. Hope this helps.

w7

Post by w7 » Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:20 pm

vistui wrote: ...looks I found a way to solve it. I found more then one twonky files in the windows/prefecth directory. After deleting these files only one twonky file reappeared . More important at this moment the problem has disappeared.
Sadly no such remedy here, but repeated key loss (and loss of all other preferences. It would appear that sometimes the entire configuration file returns to defaults (including an empty key).
Any progress in this matter would be greatly appreciated, as this occurs fairly frequently.

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff

Post by twonky-christian » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:22 pm

we are still a bit in the dark as we can not reproduce this

can someone get a reproducable way to lose the key :?

what is the last thing you did with a key - and then losing it....

w7

Post by w7 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:36 am

These things are hard to find, I know. Will keep you posted if anything comes to mind.

Meanwhile, my newly licensed media server will be out of trial days the next time this happens, and will refuse to work. (It reported just one day of trial left the last time it lost the key on Saturday).

Can you offer a way of dealing with this problem? For example, you might consider providing a special build that has unlimited trial duration (for affected licensees only of course).

That way, I'd only lose some preferences when the key goes, but not the entire functionality. Your consideration is appreciated.

vistui

Re: 4.3 not saving registration key?

Post by vistui » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:38 pm

Since my las post on prefetches I lost the key a few times and restarted with a default ini file.

The trouble began after the change of the key system in 4.3 and/or with the change of location of the ini file (from 3.1 to 4.*). Could it also have something to do with the start up sequence and or priority in combination with mentioned changes?

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff

Post by twonky-christian » Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:06 pm

may be the new location of the ini file .....

vistui

Post by vistui » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:35 pm

Is it possible for me just to move the .ini file to the windows directory and in this way solve the problem.

Does Twonky keep working if I move . ini file

CHIPPY476

Loosing Reg Key - V4.4

Post by CHIPPY476 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:02 pm

having same problem as above with V4.4. System rebooted due to power failure. Twonky has lost all settings and won't accept my purchased Key (says Invalid Key)

Has anyone got to the bottom of this yet????

Thanks

CHIPPY476

\ or /

Post by CHIPPY476 » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:15 pm

just noticed / in file path string for .ini file

c:\Documents and Settings\Gary\Application Data\TwonkyMedia/twonkyvision-mediaserver.ini

should this not be a \ instead???

dlawley

Post by dlawley » Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:12 am

Getting to be really really annoying, get ready to go to bed and listen to a few podcast before and guess what, twonky craps again..

Dang trial mode crap and its forgot my key... AGAIN... this is the 2nd or 3rd time this week.. and my server is off at the other end of the house..

Reading all these messages I cannot believe that someone has not found an answer to this and I see messages dated back to beginning of summer.

Whats up folks is this going to be fixed?? I here again doing this again... And, like the others having to reconfig my paths.. not sure I'm doing this again. Sorry, its late, I'm tired and months of this crap waiting for a fix has push my last button..

Please?!?

Steve Stern

Post by Steve Stern » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:24 pm

I have the same issue. THe first time was right after I had updated to winamp 5.5 (+remote + UPnP server). Or is that just a coincedence?

I would really appreciate when this issue can be fixed. It's a pitty, because Twonky is in all other perspectives the best.

dlawley

Post by dlawley » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:56 am

First I must say that I'm sorry for having been so short tempered and winded. It was a long day and must say I did not want to deal with reworking townky at midnight before bed.

Anyway, something I have tried was changing the service account from local service account to NT AUTHORITY\LocalService then back to local service.

I found that anytime the service was stopped and restarted I would lose my settings.. as would be the case when I would reboot the machine..

So far this has been working but needs more time to make sure. I'm able to stop and start service without issue so far. I'm wondering if the service install program is doing this right??

typer

Post by typer » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:17 pm

Same on my NSLU; lost registration key again after reboot. And as if this were not enough, my music tree configuration is gone as well. What's so difficult about saving strings in a file?

Andreas

Gonz

Post by Gonz » Sat Nov 10, 2007 9:05 am

Same problem with my Twonky!
Lose License Key and all konfiguration data!

I have running Win XP Pro x64. Twonky V.4.4.2

The strangely is, that the Problem comes very irregularly. So it could that the Server runs many days without any error!? :?

In fact the twonkyvision-mediaserver.ini file AND ALSO the twonkyvision-mediaserver.ini.bak file are overwritten with a completly new one!

So i had made a manual copy of the twonkyvision-mediaserver.ini and wrote it back over the existing twonkyvision-mediaserver.ini an twonkyvision-mediaserver.ini.bak, so all my Settings including the license key are back....

However unfortunately no beautiful solution :( :?

ujoimro

Setting loss with Twonky

Post by ujoimro » Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:51 pm

I have the same Problem with my Twonky running on a NAS router.
To my opinion this happens when I do not correctly shutdown the device, which is not possible on the NAS. The ini file is correct all the time running, but on a hard reboot it will be replaced by the defaults. So I make a copy of the ini file and replace the actual file by each start by this copy.

With this action twonky is running perfect.

To my opinion this is caused by some way how twonky closes the file or mark it correct.

Whitefiver

Post by Whitefiver » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:46 pm

Hi,

Sorry, but I am having the same problems too (with v4.3).

I have confirmed that the key is stored in the .ini file, and I'm running XP Home SP2 - if it helps.

Just a thought - could I make a copy of the default .ini file, and then make a copy of the current live .ini file and rename it to the default? Then, if it decided to revert - I would have all my settings - or is life not that simple?

Regards,

White.

w8rn8r

Same here - license key and config lost upon upgrade to 4.4.

Post by w8rn8r » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:02 pm

For the recoard, here's yet another case: when I upgraded to 4.4.2, my license key was gone, and so was the complete config file.

corkymuldoon

Post by corkymuldoon » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:44 pm

I've experienced the same, intermittent loss of my Twonky's registration code. The most recent occurred just last night - and I can't indicate anything specific that happened or occurred before the media server lost the key.

It's happened before - but weeks ago.

NAS-Tiger

Post by NAS-Tiger » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:15 pm

Just for the record:
I'm running 4.4.2 on a Linkstation and my registration key gets lost every now an then....

KBst

Re: Setting loss with Twonky

Post by KBst » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:48 pm

ujoimro wrote:The ini file is correct all the time running, but on a hard reboot it will be replaced by the defaults. So I make a copy of the ini file and replace the actual file by each start by this copy.

With this action twonky is running perfect.
I tried this way on a openSUSE 10.3 system. But in spite of a perfect ini file Twonky just uses the default an rewrites the ini file when I enter the license via web interface :cry:

agnost

Post by agnost » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:03 am

Christian,

I can still see this problem in 4.4.4 RC1. I'm running it as a system service on WinXP. It always happens when the system is not shut down properly, such as in a power failure. (I believe somebody posted that before.) But I've seen it happen when I get Windows updates, or McAfee updates, that reboot by system automatically.

Please fix.

Thanks.