Nokia E61 / N95 connection to Twonky?

HDPete
Nokia E61 / N95 connection to Twonky?

Post by HDPete » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:00 pm

I have read that both Nokia E61 (which I have) and an N95 are UPnP / DLNA compliant devices.

How do I configure the phones to see Twonky?

Cheers
Pete

cliffa
AV Hardware:Server: Qnap TS-409
Clients: PS3, Xbox360, DSM-520, Archos 605, Nokia N95, Kodak EasyShare EX1011 , Momento Picture Frame, NetGem 7600, Sony Vaio WA1.

Post by cliffa » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:46 pm

Pete, the first thing you should realise so far as the Nokia phones, is that they are NOT UPnP renderers i.e. you cannot 'stream' content from your UPnP server (Twonky in this case) to your phone.

You can use the Nokias as Control Points - glorified remote controls in effect where you can choose to direct content on a server to play on a suitable renderer. In practice this is fine for music but a bit hit and more miss for video and photos.

You can make the Nokia into another UPnP server on your network by 'sharing' the content on your phone.

You can use Nokia UPnP to 'download' content to your phone for play back in the 'Gallery' this is quite clunky and slow to achieve though.

As far as getting it working is concerend it is quite simple.

First make sure you have Wi-Fi wireless connectivity. Browse to the web on phone to be sure.

In tools you should find a home network option. here you can enable sharing and choose the wireless connection to use.

Then you can go into 'Gallery' and sellect the Home network option to 'See' UPnP servers on the network. Select a track and then you can Choose Play via home network to play on a seperate music box/renderer or you can choose copy to phone to... you guessed it.

NOTE: for some unexplained reason Nokia have removed the Show via home network option from the Tracks (music) section of the new N95 phone - so you can't directly play music on the phone on a separate renderer. This is quite a major blunder as far as I can see.

Best thing to do is just tinker!

HTH

cbhwr

Post by cbhwr » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:37 pm

cliffa wrote:Pete, the first thing you should realise so far as the Nokia phones, is that they are NOT UPnP renderers i.e. you cannot 'stream' content from your UPnP server (Twonky in this case) to your phone.
Strickly speaking, some Nokias can actually do the UPnP Render thing. Original firmwares for N80 were capable of doing this, but recent versions are not. It did work somewhat clumsily, and I am not sure why I'd even bother using it except to listen to music on the NAS without bothering wife+baby :)

As is the case, when you do updates to a Nokia phone, it tends to get more stable, but apparently this is something the guys in Finland achieve by removing functionality such as the UPnP rendere :(

/Nc

mschlee

Post by mschlee » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:27 am

cliffa wrote:Pete, the first thing you should realise so far as the Nokia phones, is that they are NOT UPnP renderers i.e. you cannot 'stream' content from your UPnP server (Twonky in this case) to your phone.

You can use the Nokias as Control Points - glorified remote controls in effect where you can choose to direct content on a server to play on a suitable renderer. In practice this is fine for music but a bit hit and more miss for video and photos.

You can make the Nokia into another UPnP server on your network by 'sharing' the content on your phone.

You can use Nokia UPnP to 'download' content to your phone for play back in the 'Gallery' this is quite clunky and slow to achieve though.

As far as getting it working is concerend it is quite simple.

First make sure you have Wi-Fi wireless connectivity. Browse to the web on phone to be sure.

In tools you should find a home network option. here you can enable sharing and choose the wireless connection to use.

Then you can go into 'Gallery' and sellect the Home network option to 'See' UPnP servers on the network. Select a track and then you can Choose Play via home network to play on a seperate music box/renderer or you can choose copy to phone to... you guessed it.

NOTE: for some unexplained reason Nokia have removed the Show via home network option from the Tracks (music) section of the new N95 phone - so you can't directly play music on the phone on a separate renderer. This is quite a major blunder as far as I can see.

Best thing to do is just tinker!

HTH
What about 3rd party rendering software for S60 (WiFi enabled) phones ?

m.

murfett-au

N95 uPNP control point still usefull

Post by murfett-au » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:22 am

I still find this a useful feature of the phone. I have Twonky on my Mac Mini, and that feeds into a Russound 6 zone amp. The Russound amp is controlled by keypads on the wall, or by a serial connection to a PC running HomeSeer software, with the Russound Home Seer Plug In allowing me to control the amp from a browser as well.

Hence while lying in bed yesterday morning I was able to ask my wife what music she wanted on in the ensuite when she had her shower, and using my N95, could play her choice of music in the speakers in the ensuite without leaving the bedroom.

keptnahab

Post by keptnahab » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:07 pm

hi everybody !

i have installed twonky media server on my mac,
i did all the options on my n95 and i have a wifi connection (proofed)
but i cant see any devices in the homenetwork menu on the n95
i tried several restarts of both, the mac and the n95,
but nothing...still no device found :(

could anybody help please ?

thanks !