'Scanning for new contents' vs. 'harddisk hibernation'

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
kdj
'Scanning for new contents' vs. 'harddisk hibernation'

Post by kdj » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:36 am

The following scenario, I guess, is not uncommon:
  • Harddisk hybernation on the NAS is a must! During nighttime we all sleep and during 5 days a week we are at work/in school.
    When the kids have added some music to the drive, they obviously would like to verify its there and hear it right away on the clients.
Presently (using ver 4.3) it is not possible to set up the NAS hibernation and Mediaserver rescan time to support such functionality.

It would be highly appreciated to have such scenario supported ! :!:

(In effect, this is probably one of the ideas of "re-scan time = -1" ?)

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff
AV Hardware:PC

Post by twonky-christian » Sun Jun 24, 2007 2:46 pm

it is supported

rescantime -1 and inotify systems does this

otherwise set scantime to 0 and use manual scan

kdj

Post by kdj » Sun Jun 24, 2007 8:09 pm

Yes, hoped it did, but when I try to set the rescan time to -1 on my server (ver. 4.3 running on a Synology 106j) the server seems to 'forget' the entered value.

Manual rescan is not an option - don't want to ask (or permit) my kids to enter the administration interface of the server.

Any ideas?
Started using the media server in September 2005, but family has accelerated its use since end 2006. initially on a Linksys NSLU2 - now on a Syology 106j.

crimespree

Post by crimespree » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:09 am

sorry what is inotify?

kdj

inotify

Post by kdj » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:25 am

"inotify is a Linux kernel subsystem that provides file system event notification" (quote of wikipedia).

But as Twonkyvision server user one should not be concerned with this or .. ?

Is it required to activate "inotify" somehow?
Started using the media server in September 2005, but family has accelerated its use since end 2006. initially on a Linksys NSLU2 - now on a Syology 106j.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:08 pm

if -1 rescan defaults back to 60, then it's because you don't have the correct version of iNotify in your kernel.

Apparently, there are 2 types of iNotify interface, the standard Linux kernel interface is different to the interface that Twonky supports..

I did post about this a while back, search the forums for iNotify. I hope it gets fixed in the near future...
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

kdj

Compatibility with Synology questioned

Post by kdj » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:05 pm

As I am running the TwonkyVision server on a Synology NAS, I am not in control of which inotify daemon (?) the server runs. And yes, when I try to set the re-scan time to -1 it reverts to 60.

So, I now wonder if what mgillespie is actually saying, is that the TwonkyVision software is not fully compatible with the Linux running on the Synology NAS.

Any comment from Twonky would be welcome. Would it be possible to extend the MediaSerer SW to be compatible with various inotify versions in order to make the auto rescan work on Synology :?:

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff
AV Hardware:PC

Post by twonky-christian » Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:09 am

nope

- it is true that Linux has so many differnet ways with and without inotify and even with inotify there are two versions....

overall - if the server defaults to 60 the system it is running on just has not the right version of inotify

nothing we can do there - you need to use the other scantgime settings than (e.g. 0 for enabling the sleep mode)

cliffa
AV Hardware:Server: Qnap TS-409
Clients: PS3, Xbox360, DSM-520, Archos 605, Nokia N95, Kodak EasyShare EX1011 , Momento Picture Frame, NetGem 7600, Sony Vaio WA1.

Post by cliffa » Sun Jul 01, 2007 10:23 am

Hi Christian,

Now that the new version of inotify is embedded in the later 2.6 linux kernels and apparently does not use or create /dev/inotify would it be possible for Twonky to now look at supporting this method of new file detection, as this is the way things appear to be moving.

I gleened this info from ( http://www.unixadmintalk.com/f59/why-do ... fy-130708/ ) and indeed I have checked that inotify is installed on my linkstation running latest 2.6 kernel and the /dev/inotify instance is no longer created.

Regards

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Sun Jul 01, 2007 3:23 pm

Indeed, the latest inotify is by far the most common. It's disappointing to see Twonky only supporting the deprecated version :-(
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.