PS3 w/Firmware 1.80 and Twonkyvision

Celestial
PS3 w/Firmware 1.80 and Twonkyvision

Post by Celestial » Thu May 24, 2007 12:46 pm

Starting today Sony will roll out a new firmware update (1.80) which will allow PS3's to stream media from DLNA3 devices. If anyone has a PS3 they should try using Twonkyvision again. To date, some people on other forums have tested Synonlogy products and the PS3 can now see them BUT cannot access then.

Considering this software is constantly being improved I am hoping for a breakthrough for Twonkyvision. That will make me bite the bullet and buy one :)

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Thu May 24, 2007 12:59 pm

It does seem to work rather nicely. All we need now is better file format/codec support from Sony.

Celestial

Can you be more specific

Post by Celestial » Thu May 24, 2007 2:12 pm

Can you be more specific as to what works/does not work?

mb_

Post by mb_ » Thu May 24, 2007 2:44 pm

currently, only MPEG-2 seems to be supported. Even files, which play fine from USB or HDD (MP4 AAV + AAC/MP3) dont play from the mediasserver, also copying files seems not to work (some error).

Pictures and MP3 works fine btw....

hth,
mb_

edit: server was Twonky 4.3 on a Infrant ReadyNAS

xberserker

Post by xberserker » Thu May 24, 2007 3:00 pm

I can't get the PS3 to see TwonkyVision :? I have TwonkyMedia Version 4.3 installed on my Intel iMac. My PS3 & iMac are both connected wirelessly.

What are your settings on the TwonkyVision MediaServer? I must be missing something simple.

aaddie

Twonky, PS3 and FLAC

Post by aaddie » Fri May 25, 2007 7:18 am

I've just installed Twonky for evaluation purposes to use with my PS3. The PS3 have no problem discovering the server automatically. xberserker, do you perhaps have a router or anything where you need to enable UPnP in your local network?

Anyway, I'm really anxious to stream FLAC to my PS3. FLAC is not natively supported, so I installed the transcode plugin available on the Twonky website. But it won't automatically do this transcode to the PS3. Any suggestions on how to setup the server to trick it into sending transcoded FLAC to the PS3? The "Generic DLNA Device" obviously doesn't do the trick.

Celestial, I've had mp3 and photos running without any problems. When it comes to video, I only have x264 encoded stuff in a matroska container (mkv), so it obviously won't play... yet :)

Edit:
I missed this http://www.twonkyvision.de/forum/viewto ... 1699#11699 post where a beta supporting PS3 is announced. This will hopefully solve my FLAC issue. I'll check it out and report back.

braunmiller

Post by braunmiller » Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:11 pm

I just installed Twonky on my debian server to see if it would work together with my PS3. Everything seems to work pretty much out-of-the-box. The mediaserver is detected automatically by the PS3 and I can stream MP3s and MPEG2 with no problem.
Except from the annoying message that the PS could not connect to the mediaserver (displayed in the top-right corner). Why is this message being displayed as there are obviously no problems in connecting (music and video play, metaainfo are shown)?

wisdenb

unsupported data

Post by wisdenb » Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:53 pm

I can see the twonky media server OK from my PS3 - I can see all the artists and playlists, etc. However all the mp3 files are 'unsupported data' - can anyone shed light on this?

cbhwr

Re: unsupported data

Post by cbhwr » Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:32 am

wisdenb wrote:I can see the twonky media server OK from my PS3 - I can see all the artists and playlists, etc. However all the mp3 files are 'unsupported data' - can anyone shed light on this?
Several options (sorted by importance)
  • Are you running latest (4.4) version of Twonky?
  • Under Clients, does Twonky recognize the PS3, or is it set to General type?
  • Are the files .JPG,.MP3,.MP4,.AAC,.MPG?
  • Is the connection to the PS3 wired or wireless?
Someone may be able to provide you with test-files, which you can place on your Twonky and which is known to work with the PS3.

Best Regards,
Nc.

Avanti33

Problem with streaming WAV file

Post by Avanti33 » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:28 pm

I am having the same problem as wisdenb. Having version 4.4 installed on my NAS (Thecus N2100). the video and picture streamings are running fine. The only problem is with music streaming. PS3 is seeing the plain simple .WAV files saved under my NAS as unsupported data. I have already put the directories holding my iTune music library under the content location of Twonkymedia "Sharing" tab, but the problem persists.

LarryTru

Re: Twonky, PS3 and FLAC

Post by LarryTru » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:06 am

I too can't get it to stream flac files. Does anyone know what is wrong?

LArry
aaddie wrote:I've just installed Twonky for evaluation purposes to use with my PS3. The PS3 have no problem discovering the server automatically. xberserker, do you perhaps have a router or anything where you need to enable UPnP in your local network?

Anyway, I'm really anxious to stream FLAC to my PS3. FLAC is not natively supported, so I installed the transcode plugin available on the Twonky website. But it won't automatically do this transcode to the PS3. Any suggestions on how to setup the server to trick it into sending transcoded FLAC to the PS3? The "Generic DLNA Device" obviously doesn't do the trick.

Celestial, I've had mp3 and photos running without any problems. When it comes to video, I only have x264 encoded stuff in a matroska container (mkv), so it obviously won't play... yet :)

Edit:
I missed this http://www.twonkyvision.de/forum/viewto ... 1699#11699 post where a beta supporting PS3 is announced. This will hopefully solve my FLAC issue. I'll check it out and report back.

Bagfullofhams

Post by Bagfullofhams » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:58 pm

I can see the twonky media server OK from my PS3 - I can see all the artists and playlists, etc. However all the mp3 files are 'unsupported data' - can anyone shed light on this?
I too saw this with Twonky 4.4.1 and my PS3. All of my ordinary mp3s were coming up as unsupported data.

In the Twonkymedia configuration page -> Clients/Security, I had my PS3 in the list and it had it as type 'PS3'. I reset the client table and reconnected my PS3. Seemed to be able to play the mp3s on my ps3 then.

Epstein

Post by Epstein » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:51 pm

Finally with twonkyvision upgraded to 4.4.2 and having selected PS3 in the client list I am able to stream my AVC .264 movies to my PS3... This is so awesome... Until this photo and music had worked fine, but now movies as well... If anyone still has problems, just send me a PM or ask here on the forum.

patg

Post by patg » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:34 pm

Bagfullofhams wrote:
I too saw this with Twonky 4.4.1 and my PS3. All of my ordinary mp3s were coming up as unsupported data.

In the Twonkymedia configuration page -> Clients/Security, I had my PS3 in the list and it had it as type 'PS3'. I reset the client table and reconnected my PS3. Seemed to be able to play the mp3s on my ps3 then.
Hi there,

I have the same issue in that sometimes the PS3 shows up as regular client on twonky and i have to go in and manually reset the client table. Anyone know what causes this?

Thanks!

XIONG
AV Hardware:UPnP

Re: PS3 w/Firmware 1.80 and Twonkyvision

Post by XIONG » Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:20 am

I am sure you will find a good response!!
Good luck for you.