4.4 and PS3 - Track Order Problem

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
beyondfear
4.4 and PS3 - Track Order Problem

Post by beyondfear » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:11 pm

How does Twonky decide what order to present tracks from albums to the PS3? I have correctly tagged files (with track #s and id3v1 tags only) and filenames in '<artist> - <album> - <track> - <name>' format. Sometimes, Twonky presents the ablum's tracks in the correct track # order and sometimes it presents them in reverse order (10, 9, 8, ... 1). When the reverse order happens, I visually see track #1 and the list builds upwards on the screen. When it presents albums correctly, I see track #1 and the list builds downwards on the screen.

Is this a known bug in Twonky 4.4? Is there something I can do to get around or fix this problem?

Again, I'm anal about tagging and file naming and I assure you all my MP3s are tagged correctly (the same) and named correctly (based on correct tag data and in the format listed above).

beyondfear

Post by beyondfear » Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:36 pm

UPDATE: I still have the problem...but, I used the Copy function on the PS3 to copy a few albums that exhibit this 'incorrect order' behaviour and once copied, I can play them back directly from the PS3's hard-drive in the correct order.

I can't figure what Twonky is doing to sort them for playback in the incorrect order :( I presume it's some 4.4 bug.

jensph

Post by jensph » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:28 pm

My tracks are also out of order when viewed on my PS3. However my tracks appear to be randomly sorted (at least I don't see the pattern).

I'm running Twonky on my NAS (version: Linux MIPS little endian glibc 2.2.3), not on an XP machine.

When I view the tracks using the web browser from an XP machine, the tracks are in the correct order.

Also, the MP3s still have an '*' at the end of all titles.

beyondfear

Post by beyondfear » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:18 pm

Sure would be nice to hear Christian's comments on this (acknowledge problem or suggestions on how to fix).

beyondfear

Post by beyondfear » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:50 pm

Help (support)...please (it's frustrating to use the PS3 to play MP3s via Twonky and that's the reason I purchased Twonky).

jensph

Post by jensph » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:19 pm

ditto.

Though I'm still in my trial period.

Also my video is 'unsuported' when using the Linux Twonky on my NAS -> PS3. It worked okay when testing the Windows version.

I will purchase if I have the impression that improvements in functionality will be coming in the near future.

At least an explanation would be nice - is it the PS3's fault for mixing the track order?

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:14 am

Remember, these forums are not offical support channels, you should email Twonky support, if you require an answer.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

beyondfear

Post by beyondfear » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:58 am

Ok, I figured out what causes the track sorting issues!!! :

If the Album name in the ID3 tag data has brackets [ ... ] , parentheses ( ... ) or braces { ... } in it, then the track order comes out incorrectly on the PS3. I do not know if this is a PS3 firmware issue or Twonky.

For [ ... ] in the Album name, the track order is reversed (10, 9, 8 ... 1). For parentheses and braces, the track order is random (I guess).

For example, for The Crystal Method album "Drive" from Best Buy (exclusive) I had "Drive [Best Buy]" in the Album field of the ID3v1 tag data (mp3s) and this showed the tracks in reverse order. I experimented with (Best Buy) and {Best Buy} in the name and got random track order sorting. I then just used "Drive Best Buy" and got the correct track order to show up on the PS3...yeah!!!
Last edited by beyondfear on Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jensph

Post by jensph » Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:07 am

I'm bit skeptical of this explanation. Most of my album names are without brackets of any type and their tracks are out of order... I'm not doubting what you observed, of course, just wondering if something else is at work there.

beyondfear

Post by beyondfear » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:25 pm

Christian acknowledged the bug (via support emails) and said he'd look at it (about 10 days ago). So far, no more updates from him on the issue and a possible fix :cry: (soon)

Dartan

Post by Dartan » Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:44 pm

I am very happy to report that the latest PS3 firmware (1.9) corrects the track order problem! :D

Dave

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:24 pm

Yep, confirmed here too.

Also noticed the timeout period had been increased, I no longer have issues when my server USB HDD is sleeping, and I try to play a file...

I wonder if they have also changed anything to allow Twonky to stream radio. Twonky guys, can you see if the limitations that prevented you radio streaming on the PS3 (I think it was requirement to send track length), has been addressed. It would be cool to get Shoutcast and VTuner stuff on PS3....
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

chrisbaksa

Post by chrisbaksa » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:57 pm

My Buffalo LinkTheater has the same track ordering problem.

jensph

Post by jensph » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:00 am

Awesome. Both music track order and photo timestamp order are now streaming correctly to my PS3! I can now truly claim that Music and Pictures work well.

One remaining minor annoyance: there's still an '*' at the end of all track names...

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:35 pm

I Suspect the * at the end of the tracks, is a PS3 client quirk, as I notice that MediaTomb server also does it, and I can't believe 2 seperate implementations inherit the same issue (unless they share the same UPnP libraries).

gnuite

Post by gnuite » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:40 am

mgillespie wrote:I Suspect the * at the end of the tracks, is a PS3 client quirk, as I notice that MediaTomb server also does it, and I can't believe 2 seperate implementations inherit the same issue (unless they share the same UPnP libraries).
I found this in the PS3 manual (source):
File names for data that is stored on servers that are not compliant with DLNA may have an asterisk appended to the file name. In some cases, these files cannot be played on the PS3â„¢ system. Also, even if the files can be played on the PS3â„¢ system, it might not be possible to play the files on other devices.
So it seems that the PS3 doesn't consider TwonkyVision to be DLNA-compliant. Perhaps this is why certain audio formats (like WAV or PCM) don't work on the PS3 through TwonkyVision, even if they work with other clients...

Elric2176

Post by Elric2176 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:34 am

gnuite wrote:
I found this in the PS3 manual (source):
File names for data that is stored on servers that are not compliant with DLNA may have an asterisk appended to the file name. In some cases, these files cannot be played on the PS3â„¢ system. Also, even if the files can be played on the PS3â„¢ system, it might not be possible to play the files on other devices.
So it seems that the PS3 doesn't consider TwonkyVision to be DLNA-compliant. Perhaps this is why certain audio formats (like WAV or PCM) don't work on the PS3 through TwonkyVision, even if they work with other clients...
Now that you mention it, I notice that all my files end in an asterisk, including JPEGs, MP4 movies, MP3 and M4A music files. All but the M4A files still play properly, though.

RaDiO-NL

Post by RaDiO-NL » Wed Aug 15, 2007 11:48 am

See my other post about order of playlists and navigation.

I experience the same problem using a QNAP TS-101 NAS with Twonky 4.3 and a Pinnacle Soundbridge M1001.

Browsing folders gives a strange order in tracks, aswel playlist behaviour.

The behaviour seems consistent, but i cannot find out the reason. As test i checked and changed from 1 album all the V1 and V2 tags, and removed all the (){}[], from the tracks, album names etc. This for me changed nothing, so still wrong order of tracks on folder browse and playlists.
I hope this will be solved soon.

Is more info is needed, traces or whatever, or i can help in any other way please feel free to contact me.

Andries