I need a new client. Please help me choose

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
sjm
I need a new client. Please help me choose

Post by sjm » Sat Aug 04, 2007 4:01 am

I'm currently running a Go-Video 2730 with Twonky 4.4 on Linux. It works fine, but I have an MP3 audio quality issue with the Go-Video. I have the same issue playing MP3 from a CD on the player, so its not the media server.

I want to get a new client that
1) has excellent MP3 audio quality
2) coax digital output
3) S-video with 16:9 aspect ratio
4) wired Ethernet
5) good menu system
6) good remote
7) good Twonky compatibility

Primary use is audio, picture and video support is not real important, but is a bonus.

The menu navigation from the Go-Video is good, large, well laid out. I would like one as good. A picture of the music navigation screen would be very helpful.

The D-Link 520 is one that seems to be popular and is one I am considering.

Thanks!

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:13 am

Playstation3?

Does all your requirements (the remote costs $20 extra). It may seem expensive, but consider it's also an outstanding Blu-Ray player, a reference quality upscaling DVD player, consider the gaming capabilities, IPTV, and forthcoming Digital Tuner.

It's more a media hub that plays games, than a games console.
Last edited by mgillespie on Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

sjm

Post by sjm » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:23 pm

Thanks for the reply. The PS3 is nice, but has more features than I need. I dont play games, and have a good DVD player. My primary use is streaming audio. I need it to do that well.

Kos

Post by Kos » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:23 pm

I prefer SLA5520 and Noxon2audio because I don't want to turn on my tv to be able to navigate my music. My 15000 songs on my NAS are all MP3 - and it sounds great on my stereo. But the clients mentioned are not coax digital audio.

Kos
Setup: D-link635/Linksys(wifi), PhilipsSLA5520/Noxon iRadio, Sonos ZP90+ZP120+S5+CR200, iPod Touch & iPad2, Twonky6.0.30(server), MaxtorSS+/Qnap TS-109+112 (NAS'es), MediaMonkey 4(media manager)

sjm

Post by sjm » Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:34 pm

Navigation from the TV is a firm requirement.

My Go-Video has an odd problem that mp3s dont sound quite right. It plays wma just great, but mp3s sound kind of muddy. It is like this streaming or when the tracks are played from a CD disk in the same player. The same disk sounds fine both mp3 and wma when played from my Oppo DVD player. It seems the mp3 codec in the Go-Video is....not great??

At this point, I'm leaning toward the D-Link 520.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:17 pm

Looking at the price of the Dlink 520, it's £200, and all it does it a media player. Have you considered selling your decent DVD player, and combing the cash for the both towards a PS3? all you have to do is stump up £100, and for than you get a reference quality upscaling DVD player/Blu-Ray player, a UPnP client that works better than any other dedicated client I have seen, 60GB of local HDD storage, Linux capabilities, and oh, it also plays games as a bonus!

I can't personally see the sense in paying £200 for just a client (and from what I read, a not very good one at that), when for £399 you can get so much more.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

sjm

Post by sjm » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:45 pm

A media player is all I'm looking for, but you got me thinking about the PS3. Thanks for the input. I'm in the USA, so we dont use £ here. I'll have to see what the $$ investment would be. Blu-Ray would be the nice addition that I dont have now. Upscaling is a scam. I can do that already (but dont). Can the PS3 do 480i over HDMI? I'll have to look over the specs.

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:56 pm

PS3 can upscale anything to a max of 1080p (will do 720p or 1080i also).

I suggest hooking up with someone who has one, and check out the media streaming capabilities, as it's a lot of $$ to outlay, but I think you will be impressed.

I also forgot SACD capabilities on my list of pro's for the PS3.

sjm

Post by sjm » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:02 pm

I really appreciate your replies. The features look really nice, but I dont think I would use many of them. I can do SACD now with my Oppo (but dont). I can upscale now (but I dont since its not a good idea anyway). If you want want to know why, LMK and I'll explain. I dont play games, I dont have Blu-Ray discs, although that is something that may be interesting.

How is it for picture viewing and video streaming (with Twonky)?

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:56 am

sjm wrote: How is it for picture viewing and video streaming (with Twonky)?
Excellent. Like I said, try and hook up with someone that has one.

I did do a video of the PS3 streaming capabilies when Sony introduced the feature.

Showing all stuff including Movies, Music, Pictures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJn9iNfnC9s

Updated, to show music album art:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtUEgq6Md7Y

jensph

Post by jensph » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:33 pm

sjm wrote:How is it for picture viewing ...?
The PS3's picture viewing capabilities are really impressive. There are 5 viewing modes - one of them uses face finding to do a very professional looking pan/zoom. There must be a demonstration on youtube; it's worth having a look.

With the lastest PS3 update (to version 1.9) the music and picture streaming works great. I stream from my NAS to my PS3 using Townky.

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:48 pm

YOu can also do a slideshow, whilst playing music from the server.

There are 5 picture slideshow modes, there are some Youtube videos from other people showing them.

The face recognition is quite neat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDypErvJrD0

Another mode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCpf139w ... ed&search=

A variation of the same mode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0tXqI9Q ... ed&search=

Another one (I like this one the best):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MynY3WLv49Y
Last edited by mgillespie on Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sjm

Post by sjm » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:51 pm

Thanks! I'm at work, so only had a quick look at the videos. I'll look at them later when I get home, but from what I see, it is very impressive. The navigation is slick, and the music with album art and visualizations is way cool.

I still have a lot of questions, and I hope you can stick with me and provide more info. The PS3 goes a different direction than just a media server for sure.

One thought is if it has a 60G drive, that is a lot of local storage unless you have a lot of video content. I could put my MP3 and picture collection on the drive (can I?), so it kind of eliminates the need for a media server.

I assume it has cooling fans. How noisy is it with the fans and HD? Does it have to be vertical, or can it sit horizontal?

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:58 pm

sjm wrote: One thought is if it has a 60G drive, that is a lot of local storage unless you have a lot of video content. I could put my MP3 and picture collection on the drive (can I?), so it kind of eliminates the need for a media server.
You can play Video, Picture and music content from memory cards (memory Stick, SD Card, Compact Flash), from the HDD, or from CD/DVD/Blu-Ray, as well of course from a media server.

The downside of putting content on the HDD, is it can't be shared elsewhere (PS3 is currently only a media streaming client). If you want to access content from other locations, then this may be a problem (I have 1xPS3 for Audio/Video/Picture), and 2x Noxon audio only clients elsewhere around the home, and there is great benefit from being able to listen to my music anywhere, on demand.
sjm wrote:
I assume it has cooling fans. How noisy is it with the fans and HD?
Yes, near slient. Very reasonable. It does however move air, and needs adequate ventillation.

sjm wrote:Does it have to be vertical, or can it sit horizontal?
Either way, ene the PS3 badge on the fron twists, so it's straight whichever way you mount it!

The best bit, is it's constantly being improved upon, firmware updates every month add new features, and improve existing ones further. It's a safe bet, there will be better visualizations for music, and even fancier slideshow capabilities in the future.

The Cell CPU is a serious workhorse, and can do fantastic trickery to video in realtime. realtime picture processing is very impressive, and the upscaling DVD is awesome(outperforming everything else on the market regardless of price).

A couple of other links (bear in mind these are when the unit was $599, not the current $499, and the later was before the upscaling and 1080p/24 additions were added via firmware update 1.80)

http://www.audaud.com/article.php?ArticleID=2939
http://www.guidetohometheater.com/hddis ... ndex3.html
Last edited by mgillespie on Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jensph

Post by jensph » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:04 pm

sjm wrote:I could put my MP3 and picture collection on the drive (can I?), so it kind of eliminates the need for a media server.
Unfortunately the PS3 doesn't give much flexibility in how you organize the media on its harddrive. Everything is only 1 level deep. It is really only meant for a small number of files. Until the media streaming capabilities came out, this was a major complaint of mine.
sjm wrote:I assume it has cooling fans. How noisy is it with the fans and HD? Does it have to be vertical, or can it sit horizontal?
I lay mine horizontally and its sitting in cabinet with a small opening at the back. It gets very hot, and the fans do make some noise - but it's not bad. It's a lot better than it could be (see XBox). Once my wife closed the front door on the cabinet, and it soon sounded like a jet engine; clearly it needs some airflow. In short, the noise level does not bother me.

sjm

Post by sjm » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:19 am

Thanks again for the replies. The picture viewing capabilities are amazing as is the general media navigation system. Very impressive. Can all navigation be done with the remote (not game controller)? How about picture scaling? My pics are 4 - 6 Megapixels depending on which camera they were taken with. Does the PS3 scale them all to the same size to fit the screen? Would viewing large pics affect the performance of the slideshow?

The noise does concern me. It would be in an enclosed cabinet with the doors closed. It seems the fans are variable speed and spin up if they need to.

1080P/24 is fine for the Blu-Ray, but I dont want to upconvert DVDs. Can it do 480i over HDMI?

The price is still an issue. About $525+ with a remote. Has the price dropped yet since the initial release?

jensph

Post by jensph » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:02 am

sjm wrote:Can all navigation be done with the remote (not game controller)?
I have not used the Sony bluetooth remote, but I do use my Harmony 880 universal remote. The PS3 has no IR port, however you can buy a third party IR dongle (the Logic3 or Nyko).
sjm wrote:How about picture scaling? My pics are 4 - 6 Megapixels depending on which camera they were taken with. Does the PS3 scale them all to the same size to fit the screen? Would viewing large pics affect the performance of the slideshow?
My pictures are from my 6 megapixel camera, and some are from an older 3 megapixel camera. The PS3 scales to fit the screen. The PS3 is very powerful and can readily handle the slideshow. The picture viewing works just as well when streaming via Twonky or when viewing pictures from the hard drive.
sjm wrote:The noise does concern me. It would be in an enclosed cabinet with the doors closed. It seems the fans are variable speed and spin up if they need to.
A fully enclosed cabinet is not really an option. You would need to allow airflow while it's on.
sjm wrote:1080P/24 is fine for the Blu-Ray, but I dont want to upconvert DVDs. Can it do 480i over HDMI?
You can set the DVD upscaler off - though I don't think you'd want to once you've seen it. You can find all the options in the PS3's manual.
sjm wrote:The price is still an issue. About $525+ with a remote. Has the price dropped yet since the initial release?
The price has dropped by $100 a few weeks ago. It is still expensive but you get a lot of functionality. Thanks to Netflix a good proportion of the movies I watch are on Blu-Ray, and thanks to Twonky all my music is played through my PS3 to my receiver.

On the AVSForums you can find more information.

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:03 am

sjm wrote:Thanks again for the replies. The picture viewing capabilities are amazing as is the general media navigation system. Very impressive. Can all navigation be done with the remote (not game controller)?
Jensph has answer most questions, So i will only bother with the remote question. I have the PS3 remote, and you can indeed navigate the system using the remote (a nice remote it is too). You can even navigate using keyboard and mouse!! (I have a Infrared Keyboard/Touchpad
http://www.adesso.com/products_detail.asp?productid=281 which works well too (as you can use the webbrower and messenger as a bonus.

sjm

Post by sjm » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:04 am

Thanks for the replies. Any probelm with the Sony remote? Is the range good?

The venting thing may be an issue. I'll have to look into that.

I have one of the best upscaling DVD players on the market (Oppo 970). I dont think upscaling DVDs from the player is a good idea no matter what the brand if you have a good fixed pixel display.

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:15 pm

THe PS3 remote is Bluetooth, so will not work with universal remotes, but has the advantage of having excellent range, and no need for line of sight.

I think you should see the PS3's upscaling capabilities, as it breaks the rules, (as it's software based). Many review rate it better than any hardware upscaler on the market, regardless of cost. I know it sounds far fetched, but the power of the Cell, means conventional rules no longer apply. (man I sound like I work for Sony....)

I watched Terminator2 on DVD the other week, and was blown away by the quality of the upscaled picture. I have had upscaler DVD players before, but this was a class of it's own. I then watched a Blu-Ray movie, and was then blown away again :-)

sjm

Post by sjm » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:37 pm

If I upscale, I have to convert twice. My panel is a Pioneer PDP 5070HD 50" plasma. The resolution is 1366x768 or "768P". It will accept a 1080p/24 input

If I output 480i from the DVD player, the only conversion is to the native resolution of the PDP, done by the PDP.

DVD -> PDP
780x480 -> 1366x768

If I convert with the DVD player to 720p or 1080i/p, I have two conversions

DVD ->upconvert -> PDP
720x480 -> 1920x1080 -> 1366x768
-------or------------
720x480 -> 1280x720 -> 1366x768

No matter what you feed a fixed pixel display, it is only capable of displaying its native resolution. The panel itself does upconversion (it has to).

If you have a native resolution of 1280x720 or 1920x1080 it may be a good idea. If the DVD player does a better job of upconverting to the native resoltion than the panel does, you may have an increase in video quality.

The things is, the content is still 780x480 to begin with. The upconversion process is adding pixels to increase resolution. Pioneer has some of the best video processing in the industry and does a very good job of doing this in the set. I dont doubt that Sony has very good upconversion. I still would not want to convert the signal twice. There has been tests run by people in the AVSforum, and the consensus is to let the panel do the conversion instead of the DVD player.

sjm

Post by sjm » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:47 pm

But....that is a minor point. I'm really not that interested in the Blu-Ray, or the DVD upconvert capabilities. I'm sure they work fine. I'd probably never play a game on it either...

My primary interest is the media player for streaming music and picture viewing. That has to work very well, and it looks like it does. The Blue Tooth remote should be fine for my needs.

On the cooling issue...if it were in a cabinet with the back vented, but the front closed, would that be a problem? It is possible that I could put it outside the cabinet if I had to.

Please forgive me for asking so many questions. This will be my 3rd media player. My first one, a Prismiq, was a dismal failure. The one I have now, the Go-Video is fine except for the MP3 audio quality issue. I want to be sure the next one is the right one.

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:03 pm

I thinkyou will be VERY
impressed by the PS3 media capabilities.

The best advice I can offer, as it's quite a big spend, is put some various media on a big USB thumbdrive (make sure it's encoded in PS3 compatible codecs), and take it along to a store that will let you have a play with the system.

The TwonkyMedia streaming capabilites will be very similar to playing the content from the USB thumb drive.

I would take,

a MPEG2 encoded video
a H264/AVC encloded video
some MP3
some WMA
some JPG photos (in several folders, from different datge ranges)

and then simply have a play with one in-store. Any store worth it's salt, will let you play with these features, if you ask nicely, and convince them they have a potential sale on their hands.

If you do this, a top tip, is you can push the PS button on the remote/controller, whilst playing music, and it continues to play, you can then go and do a picture slideshow with the music as background music.

If the demo system is not running lastest firmware, (many are not), not all the capabilities may be present on the demo units, but most of them should be.

jensph

Post by jensph » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:57 pm

sjm wrote:My primary interest is the media player for streaming music and picture viewing.
Have you looked at AppleTV? I haven't looked at it in much detail, so don't have an opinion.
sjm wrote:On the cooling issue...if it were in a cabinet with the back vented, but the front closed, would that be a problem?
I think it would be a problem. I have an approximately 6" x 4" hole in the back of my cabinet for wires, and I still always need to keep the front door open or else the PS3 won't survive long. If you had fans installed in the back of the cabinet, maybe it'd work.

If you try out mgillespie suggestion, you might want to set up your thumbdrive with root folders Video, Music and Photo, with your media copied directly into their respective folders (no sub-folders). If you want a more flexible folder structure you need to bring up the PS3's menu when selecting the thumbdrive and go to the browse option.

sjm

Post by sjm » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:27 pm

The Apple TV looks nice. The form factor is nice and small. The problem is it is not a DLNA device. I would have to sync it with ITunes on a PC or Mac. My Twonky runs on a Linux server. I could store my music collection on the Apple internal HD which would not be such a bad thing. For pictures, maybe the same, but I would likely need the larger HD model. I also dont really like to get into "closed" systems. It doesnt seem too bad (plays MP3) from what I can tell, but I dont want to be locked into the Itunes world. The video connectivity options would also be an issue for me that I would have to do some work to get around.

The PS3 still looks like a contender. One main downside is the cooling/ventilation requirements. The reason I never went for the HTPC idea is I didn't want something with local storage, processor and cooling needs and associated noise. The PS3 is similar in that respect.

A nice thing is I would have one device instead of a separate DVD player and media client.

The price is the other issue. No doubt, the PS3 is a bargain for what you get with it. I does have more features than I need/want in a media player. I did find them for $380 refurbished (20Gig) which is a possibility.

I'm going to see if I can take a look at them and bring along some media this weekend.

jensph

Post by jensph » Thu Aug 09, 2007 7:10 pm

sjm wrote:The Apple TV looks nice. The form factor is nice and small. The problem is it is not a DLNA device.
Ah, good point. And it looks like Apple intentionally handicapped it so it won't work with third party servers, like Firefly which runs on Linux.
sjm wrote:A nice thing is I would have one device instead of a separate DVD player and media client.
Yeah, I got rid of my DVD player and CD changer.
sjm wrote:I did find them for $380 refurbished (20Gig) which is a possibility.
Note that the 20 Gig version lacks WiFi and any flash memory card readers. Wikipedia has a nice overview. I use a wired connection in any case, but the memory card readers have been useful.

sjm

Post by sjm » Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:22 pm

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know about the other differences. I dont need the WiFi either, but the media slots might be handy.

sjm

Post by sjm » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:44 pm

Ok, I ordered the 60G PS3 from Sony!

I got the best deal I could find. With a new Sony Visa card, you get $150 back on your first purchase over $299, and also 8 rewards points per 1$ for that you can spend on Sony merchandise. I also signed up for a fatwallet 3% cash back bonus so....

PS3 $499
Remote $24.99
Tax: $26.25
Shipping: $21.50
Total: $572.73

- $150 Sony credit (credited to CC bill)
- $16 Fatcash back
- $42 Sony Rewards (must spend on Sony)

$365 "Total" for the PS3 and Remote.
I get the 5 free Blu-Ray disks as well. I'll sell the Go-Video and Oppo DVD players.

mgillespie and jensph, I really appreciate all the help. I'll post back when I have it up and running.

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:53 pm

Congrats on the purchase. A great deal you got there!

When you switch it on, do a system update (need net connection, if not you need to download the update to USB stick). v1.9 is the latest.

sjm

Post by sjm » Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:03 am

Thanks. I'll do that. Any tips on the Twonky server (Linux)? I'm not doing anything unusual. For now, just MP3s and JPEGs. Anything special I need to do for album art?

The worst this is, I am going to catch a lot of flak from a friend of mine. He is a big Sony fan, and I am not. I've had some less than positive experiences with Sony products in the past, and have never been fond of the proprietary, closed products they have put out. The PS3 looks like it came from a different company.

wideasleep1

Post by wideasleep1 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:14 am

If you use MediaMonkey, I believe it fetches album art w/o any additional input. BTW, hey fellow fatwalleter! :D

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:11 am

Some good apps (for Windows)

MediaMonkey (basic version free, enhanced $$)

Very good music library organiser, and player, so good I payed for the full version. The basic version is pretty darned neat.

If you have tagging problems, this ia good way to tidy things up.

http://www.mediamonkey.com

Album Art Downloader (free, Opensource)

Good app to find missing album art. Will scan your entire collection hireachy and look for missing items. You can then select the missing stuff, and it will go off to many sites and find album art candidates.

http://puzzle.dl.sourceforge.net/source ... UI-0.8.exe

Note: these are my personal recommendations, and not anything to do with Twonky/PacketVideo.

sjm

Post by sjm » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:32 pm

Nice links. Thanks again. My album art is pretty complete since the majority of my collection is MP3s that I ripped from my own CDs. I did get the album art downloader to get a few that were missing. It worked great. 900K for the app, and 54M for the .NET 3.0 to install it LOL.

What I meant was, is there anything special I need to do to get the album art to work with Twonky 4.4 and the PS3?

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:25 pm

sjm wrote: What I meant was, is there anything special I need to do to get the album art to work with Twonky 4.4 and the PS3?
No, it will "just work(tm)"

sjm

Post by sjm » Tue Aug 21, 2007 1:38 am

Well, the PS3 came today and it is up and running.

I'm watching a portrait slide show of over 1000 pics from summer vacation and listening to music at the same time. This is something I could never even dream of doing with the Go-Video 2730.

I'm absolutely thrilled with it.

I do have one issue that is not a real big thing and is not media server/client related. I'll ask that later.....I'm going back to watch the show.

THANKS!!!!!

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:58 pm

Whilst you say your not really into gaming, go onto the Playstation store and get some of the free goodies. GranTurismo:HD (Totally free, and very slick game). I would also highly recomment paying $8 and getting SuperStardust:HD crazy addictive shoot-em-up game in 1080p

Glad your happy, and questions, fire away...

sjm

Post by sjm » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:26 pm

Happy is an understatement! Work been really busy, so I haven't had a lot of time to play with it so far. I do have a couple of quick questions.

1) It seems you can not simultaneously output audio via HDMI and the optical. Its one or the other. This is a small issue. To watch a DVD, I must turn on the audio receiver to get sound. I do anyway, but it is easier for other members of the family to just watch a DVD with sound from the display speakers (HDMI). Not a huge deal, I need to do a little training. Previous DVD players I've had could output sound to both at once.

2) Cant get Internet radio to work.
3) Cant see playlists [EDIT] I think I fixed this by resetting the database

Other....

Since you can install an OS....has anyone tried installing Linux and Twonky on the PS3? Have it be the server and the client?

"Back in the day"..I was a huge 1st person shooter fan. I played a lot (too much) PC based games. Quake2, Unreal Tourny, Half Life/CS, BF1942, etc. I dont really have the time anymore, but a good FPS would be fun to play.

I have some games downloading....

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:18 am

You can't currently output from optical and HDMI at the same time. I know it's been asked before, so Sony may add this in the future firmware update.

Internet Radio is not supported by Twonky yet (apparently PS3 required the length of the stream to be send, which is obviosly no availble on a radio stream). However it is possible, as I believe TVersity does manage it.

I have installed Linux, and it works well. You have a few choices, Gentoo, YellowDog, Fedora spring to mind. I have heard the latest 5,02 Yellowdog has some bugs, and 5.01 is still the recommended release.

Yellowdog is th official Linux for PS3.

http://mirror.anl.gov/yellowdog/iso/yel ... 11-PS3.iso

If you like FPS, there is a Resistance:FallOfMan demo on the store, excellent game, ebay might provide a few cheap copies of this, as it's been out a while now. Unreal Tournement 2007 is a PS3 exclusive this year, and has been optimised for PS3 Cell/RSX engine, and is looking to be a fantastic game. It's out in a few months.

For good PS3 discussion, try here: http://www.ps3forums.com

raven

Post by raven » Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:36 am

mgillespie wrote:
Glad your happy, and questions, fire away...

Another interested buyer with a question: can i play games and stream music from a nas at the same time?

mgillespie
2x Noxon V2 audio client

Post by mgillespie » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:45 am

Not currently, as user supplied music has only been delivered to PS3 developers in the latest PS3 SDK. It will come eventually. 3 months of so, I expect.

raven

Post by raven » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:14 am

mgillespie wrote:Not currently, as user supplied music has only been delivered to PS3 developers in the latest PS3 SDK. It will come eventually. 3 months of so, I expect.

ok, i hope it will come because it is important to me (and my kids), so we can use it together