DSM-320 video

D-Link specific stuff goes here
twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff
AV Hardware:PC
DSM-320 video

Post by twonky-christian » Sun Jul 01, 2007 8:17 am

Hi,

with 4.4 we get very different responses.

One group of users tell us that we solved all DSM-320 problems finally :D

The second group (looks like mainly Linux/NAS users) tell us that video does not work at all any longer :(

Can you please verify if you have video problems (belong to group 1 or 2).

Please state you current server version plus OS and copy/paste the part of the clients.db about the DSM-320. It looks like replacing this with the part (see below) sometimes cures the problem.

Please also verify that the client is identified correctly as a DSM-320 on the clients/security page of the server.

Thanks
Christian

clients.db replacement part (under the resources dir)

ID:006
NA:D-Link DSM320
PX:800
PY:600
TX:120
TY:90
XM:DLINKTHUMB
DX:REDSONIC
AV:no-m3u
DD:DSM-320
HH:dma/1.0 redsonic
XM:FORCERES
XM:DLNANO
DB:FIX
MT:aif,aiff audio/aiff
MT:avi video/avi
MT:divx video/x-msvideo
MT:flac audio/flac
MT:lpcm,pcm audio/lpcm
MT:m4a,mp4.a,3gp.a,m4b audio/mp4
MT:mp1,mp2 audio/mpeg
MT:mp4 video/MP4V-ES
MT:mpg,m1v,mpe video/MP1S
MT:ogg audio/x-ogg
MT:ts video/mpeg
MT:wav audio/wav
XM:gif NORES

hsbrown

DSM 320

Post by hsbrown » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:13 pm

mp4 appears to be fixed (no more unsupported media type errors). I need to do some tweaking on the buffer I think for my wireless... but that is something I will post separately.

Twonky 4.4, Windows XP Pro SP2, DSM 320 FW 1.09

1) Search is still not working. I get Access Denied to folder whenever I try a search, and then subsequent attempts to access Music at all result in the same error until I reboot the DSM320.
2)Twonky did not identify my DSM, I had to go in and manually configure it. After that, it worked fine (note that both my dsm and media server have static ip addresses).
3) All Music track show their length as 3:20 seconds. They play through their full lengths, but every one shows 3:20 on my D-Link. If I use web browse and open a file with Zune software, the track length appears correctly. This last one is the most annoying.

TV is still the best!

Thanks!
--Scott Brown

ogre_x
AV Hardware:ClearOS 5.1 Linux server (4.4.18)
ClearOS 5.1 Linux server (5.1.3)
PS3
HDX-HD1000

Post by ogre_x » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:05 am

My d-link crashes when playing video. Server is a CentOS 4 derivate (with the newest RedHat EL4 kernel, 2.6.9-55)

It identified my d-link correctly on the second access from the d-link (i.e. first access - it isn't recognized (also the video works), reboot - second attempt it is identified as DSM-320 and video crashes.

4.2Beta3 is the latest version that works OK.

My d-link uses the latest eu FW (1.07eu).

Code: Select all

PX:720
PY:576

cytochrome

Post by cytochrome » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:34 pm

I'm still having video problems, too. My configuration:

twonky 4.4 (Linux ARM little endian glibc 2.2.5) on a debian 4.0 NSLU2
DSM 320 with firmware 1.07eu

I tried divx and xvid videos with 1) the original clients.db, 2) Christian's changes from above and 3) as generic media receiver: All seem to have similar problems, the video starts but hangs afters some time, sometimes recovers and hangs again... (BTW: network connection is wired, this is not a wifi problem!)

Another problem: On the DSM320 the search button can be configured as a 'jump to a certain time'-button. This worked great in the older versions, I could skip e.g. one hour nearly instantly. However, if I use it now it shows a similar behavior of hanging and obviously trying to go on (but not succeeding...). The blue LED is blinking stating that data are coming in...

Is this search/jump-feature also working in the non-Linux versions? Scott, are you trying to use the jump feature or trying to do 'fast forward'?

Carsten

Steve

Post by Steve » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:47 am

HI, I am running TWV 4.4 on NLSU2 with unslung o/s. DSM 320 firmware is 1.07eu.

DSM 320 is recognized as client. A number of videos hang after a few minutes. Sometimes a hard reboot is only way to recover. TM 4.1 works but does not handle mp4.

The client db is shown below. I tried Christians changes, no difference.

the clients.db is

HP:close
HP:1.0RESPONSE

zoodle

MPG4 problems on 4.4 with XP server

Post by zoodle » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:35 am

My configuration:
  • XP Pro SP2
    DSM 320 with firmware 1.07ww
    Static IP on both
    Twonky correctly detected the DSM
    clients.db same as Steve
    DSM has WiFi connection via DSL-G604T
    Server has cabled connection
I recently upgraded to v4.4 and immediately experienced problems with MPG4 playback on my DSM-320. I had not previously experienced any playback issues.

Issues include video hanging, sometimes audio continues. I found that pressing the pause button and waiting for the data light to stop flashing sometimes resolved this. However, it often occured again within minutes. I thought this may be a buffering problem and tried increasing the buffer setting several times.

Additionally the search functionality did not work (as described by cytochrome)

When I re-installed v4.3 all these problems disappeared. I'd like to use v4.4, I find the sorting of folders by date really annoying.

Hope that helps you track the problem down.

Regards,
Pete

murrayfleming

Video Not Working on OpenSuse

Post by murrayfleming » Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:07 pm

Sadly, I'm in the video not working properly camp.

TwonkyVision is running on an Linux OpenSuse 10.2 machine. The DSM-320 has the 1.07eu firmware, and I use a wired connection.

With 4.2b3 I have no problems.

However with Twonky 4.4 if I play a folder containing videos, then the first video will play correctly, but the next will crash the DSM after about 10 seconds.

I've tried changing the Clients.db file as suggested, but this didn't make any difference.

My videos are MPEGs that started off as ts files, but were than demuxed, and split into 2GB chunks with ProjectX, and then muxed with mplex into DVD compatible files, that can be used by DVDAuthor. So I think my files are fine. BTW I split the files at the 2GB point, so that the search facility will work all the way to the end of each file.

Thanks for taking the time to look at this, as I'm sure that supporting newer devices is more exciting that one ones like the DSM. As I've said before I'm really happy with 4.2b3, but it would be nice to keep up with the latest version.

acruix

MAC OS X with DSM 320

Post by acruix » Sun Jul 08, 2007 7:29 pm

I have lot of problems with twonky 4.4

With 4.3 I just had one problem that is the second video used to be choppy and hang DSM 320. Only way to power off is hard reset.

With 4.4 the above mentioned problem still there but every video is choppy.

~Anil

wired connection DSM 320 with MAC OS X 10

rahimlila

DSM-320 video issues on linux

Post by rahimlila » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:36 am

I mainly play VOBs and I've noticed problems playing video version 4.4, 4.3, and 4.2. Video (maily vobs) .

What happens is I start with vob file 1, then I press the next button on the remote to jump to the next vob in the folder. Vob 2 starts and after a few seconds the DSM hangs and requires a hard reset. This is reproducable every time with serveral movies.

Vobs work for me with verion 4.1.

I've gone back to version 4.1 because of these issues. 4.1 sucks in other ways due to a momory leak when playing internet radio

I'm running Fedor aCore 6 :(

PLEASE HELP!

kxmas

Post by kxmas » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:32 am

I'm experiencing similar problems with my DSM-520.

Video plays, then stops, or either the video or the audio cuts out.

I'm running linux and ver. 4.4. Interesting enough, uShare still works perfectly for playback.

tvpa

Post by tvpa » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:21 pm

I am also having problems viewing mp4 videos on my DSM-320 (firmware 1.09) even with the modified clients.db.

My DSM-320 has a wired connection to a switch and then wired connections to my main TV media server (NSLU2/Unslung6.8) and a test TV server (WinXP).

Streaming from the main TV server (NSLU2) does not work. Shortly after playback starts, the video starts to have brief pauses then longer and longer pauses, audio starts to cut in and out, and eventually the whole video stream stops. The DSM-320 is then unresponsive to the remote and the power button. To get the DSM-320 to respond again I have to remove and restore power at the plug.

Streaming from the test TV server (WinXP) works. Can play, stop, play again, etc. No lock-ups, no stuttering, video and audio in synch.

Seems the common element with all these video streaming problems is when TV is running on a Linux server.

m_i_c_r_o

DSM-320RD video issues on CS407

Post by m_i_c_r_o » Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:09 am

I have problems viewing videos on my DSM-320RD (firmware 1.04.08eu) using Twonky 4.4. The Video is playing with a lot of stops and stuttering in Video and/or Audio.

My config:
2 Windows XP (SP2) PCs connected to a switch (Netgear GS108T).
This switch is connected to a D-Link DIR-655 WiFi-router (firmware 1.04).
The CS407-NAS-Server (here are all the videos!) is connected directly to the DIR-655 WiFi-router. The Synology CS407 uses the latest official firmware 462.

When I try to stream the video wireless using the Twonky-4.4-CS407-Version or the Twonky-4.4-Windows-Version the video is stopping and stuttering. Sometimes (very rare) the DSM-320RD isn't responding any longer and I even have to press the Power-Button for 4 sec. to start it again.

Playing the same video wireless using the 'TV*****y Media Server' is no problem! No stops and no stuttering!
Last edited by m_i_c_r_o on Sat Jul 14, 2007 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronster
AV Hardware:Server: Asus M5A97 / Phenom II X6 1045T
Twonkyserver 8.2

Media Clients: WDTV Live; PlugPlayer for iOS; Foobar2000 w/UPnP Browser.

DSM-320 Video / info

Post by ronster » Sat Jul 14, 2007 2:47 pm

Hello,

I just stumbled upon this discussion, I am in camp 2 with my DSM's crashing on the second consecutive video file played, database hosted on Linux. Both DSM's are correctly identified.

My clients: DSM-320 w/ firmware 1.07ca (x 2)
My Server: TWV 4.3 on CentOS 5

I have not, and will try to change the "clients.db" entry and post a short reply if it works...

Thanks for the efforts

My Clients.db:

PX:640
PY:480
MT:avi,divx video/avi

ronster
Twonkyserver 8.2

Post by ronster » Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:18 pm

"...and copy/paste the part of the clients.db about the DSM-320. It looks like replacing this with the part (see below) sometimes cures the problem."

Tried it and it unfortunately did not help.

One observation I made a couple of weeks ago is when the server is scanning to create a new database, and you power up the DSM's, the traditional Music/photo/video menus display as plain text. Not very interesting...but if in this incomplete mode I have played multiple MP4's back to back without the DSM-320 crashing. When the DSM is restarted when the scan is complete, the menu system is fully loaded and the crashing continues.

Maybe there's a process there that may be a clue

m_i_c_r_o

Post by m_i_c_r_o » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:09 pm

twonky-christian
clients.db replacement part (under the resources dir)

ogre_x
PX:720
PY:576
ronster
PX:640
PY:480
... mmhhh, 3 different PX/PY values in 'Client.db'?! Is this because of the 'eu', 'us' and 'ca' DSM320-firmware - or PAL/NTSC?

ronster
Twonkyserver 8.2

Client Table vs. DSM-320

Post by ronster » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:36 pm

I do not know about the others in this group, but if I do the following, I can play video files one after another without the device crashing...

Power off the DSM-320. Go into "Twonkymedia Configuration" / "Clients/Security" and "reset client table". Power up the DSM-320, and have it search for the server. "My Media" only then pops up, leaving basic text menus. In this state I have no problem, I can play several MP4's back to back. Referring back to Twonkymedia Server, the device is identified properly. But...If you power down the DSM-320 and back up, the server is remembered, and the problems start again.
:roll:

When I have time, I am going to test disabling "Enable sharing for new clients automatically:" and / or see if clearing the default server entry on the DSM helps.

Ron

stw

Post by stw » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:19 am

I'm having the same hanging issue after I upgraded from TWonkyMedia 4.2 to 4.3 on my TS-101. And, for a change, this is on a DLink DSM-520.

To add to the confusion, my DSM-520 plays any video fine if I start the video using a UPnP controller client on my PC (I used Cidero). But when I then take over control of the player via the remote, stop and restart the same video it was playing fine a minute earlier, it starts to hang and I have to hard-reset the box.

Something else I noticed is that right before it hangs, the telnet server becomes slower and slower to respond. So perhaps the little CPU on the DLink gets overloaded somehow. But unfortunately I wasn't able to get the load averages since the telnet server wasn't responding anymore.

Also, I've noticed what a previous poster said, that it seems to work fine while the database is being rebuilt.

I'll try downgrading to a previous version of the DLink firmware.

Server: Twonky 4.3 on QNAP TS-101 with 2.1.0T firmware
Client: DSM-520 with 1.04 firmware (latest)

UPDATE:

I just downgraded to firmware version 1.02 using the method described here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthre ... st10970944

and now there are no more hangups so far.

ronster
Twonkyserver 8.2

no luck

Post by ronster » Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:30 pm

"When I have time, I am going to test disabling "Enable sharing for new clients automatically:" and / or see if clearing the default server entry on the DSM helps. "

Well, I tried the above without any positive results. Turning off the automatic sharing results in "access denied" on the DSM-320's. I upgraded to TMS 4.4, without any behavior changes from the DSM-320's. Clearing the default server entry on the DSM and keeping it blank during setup, gets reentered on the device once a server is found and used.

So far, resetting the client table every restart of the DSM is the only consistent way of getting crash free video so far, and that is a pain since the restart crashes, requiring me to manually restart. Oh well...

ronster
Twonkyserver 8.2

"Network Monitor" before DSM-320 hang

Post by ronster » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:30 pm

I tested setting cache =0 to see if it was an issue, no change.

I used system monitor in CentOS 5 to monitor network usage, and took screenshots of the results for my comparison. My test MP4 file is at 1.4 Mb/s variable bitrate. I normally expect 40-60% "sent" packets usage displayed on the monitor, while "received" displays about 20-35%

Running one file followed bythe above test file suddenly spikes "sent" to to 85% and "received" packets increase to 35-42%. Darta transmitted fluctuates as the DSM-320 looses stability then the device crashes.

Throughout the test, server processor usage remained stable. Any ideas here?

malmostoso

Post by malmostoso » Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:15 pm

Hi all,

I am running Twonky 4.4 on Debian Sid AMD64 to serve content to a DSM-320.
The clients.db section is exactly like the one christian posted, but I notice that if I set the client to "dsm-320" all I get is "Access Denied". If I put it back to "Generic Player" it works.

I still get hiccups and pauses during playback (sometimes even 10 seconds), but all in all it kind of works.

4.2b3 still is the best version for me.

rahimlila

Where can I get 4.2b3?

Post by rahimlila » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:58 pm

Hi All,

Can anyone please give me a link to the 4.2b3 version?

I cannot stand 4.4 anymore. I don't know when Twonky Guys are gonna fix this and I don't want to wait.

So please, if you have the 4.2b3, can you please make it available?

Thanks!

malmostoso

Post by malmostoso » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:40 pm

Well I have a backup of my 4.2b3 directory, but I don't think it's particularly useful if we stop testing. Please note that I am just as pissed as the next guy, and I find extremely annoying that end users who paid a fee have to act as testers, but hey, that's today's software industry.

That said, I can share it if the Twonky developers are OK with it.

I have been comparing a few things between my two installations, and I have noticed benefits in changing the Streaming Buffer Size parameter. Right now I have it set to streambuffer=32000 and things run smoother than the previous value (something like 16328, weird number). I am not sure it's the perfect value, tho.
Twonky developers: what would you suggest in this field? What is the range of acceptable values?

Thanks for your help!

johnnyt

Re: DSM-320 video

Post by johnnyt » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:09 am

twonky-christian wrote:Can you please verify if you have video problems (belong to group 1 or 2).
I am in group 2.
twonky-christian wrote:Please state you current server version plus OS and copy/paste the part of the clients.db about the DSM-320. It looks like replacing this with the part (see below) sometimes cures the problem.
I am running the latest Twonky 4.4 on a TurboSlug NSLU (V2.3R63-uNSLUng-6.8-beta). My NSLU is connected to my Linksys BEFSR81 Router. Also connected to my router is a D-Link DWL-2100AP 802.11G WAP, which services my DSM-320RD (latest US firmware). My clients.db is as follows (pasting the version posted here did not make a difference)...

twonky-christian wrote:Please also verify that the client is identified correctly as a DSM-320 on the clients/security page of the server.
Yes, the client is identified as DSM-320.

Other behavioral notes... Prior to upgrading to 4.4 (I was previously running 4.1), all of my video streamed wirelessly to my DSM-320 perfectly with no stutter or other problems (a typical video was a 2 hour, 650MB XviD .avi file). I could play hours of these videos without a single problem. After upgrading to 4.4, all of these video files will play for a few seconds and then it would pause or stutter. I adjusted the Streaming Buffer Size setting in 16000 increments from 32000 all the way up to 128000. Every value still causes pausing and stuttering, but 96000 seems to give the least problems.

Christian, please put it back the way it was before. I miss playing my Xvids!!!! Thanks.

EndOfInfinity

Post by EndOfInfinity » Sat Aug 04, 2007 7:43 am

The same problem on my system:

Twonky: Updated to 4.4

Network: wired, Netgear Components

DSM320: latest EU firmware

------------------------------------------------------

Changes to the clients.db didn't work.
Twonky is not able to identify my DSM automatically - i have to do it manually with a static IP-address.

This is really annoying - evertime there's a new version i have a new problem wich wasn't there before i updated Twonky! :evil:

rahimlila

4.2b3

Post by rahimlila » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:39 pm

Hi malmostoso,

I would be very appreciative if you can make 4.2b3 available to me. My email address is rahimlila@yahoo.com.

At this point, I'm very frustrated with Twonky. I originally started with them with version 4.01 and every release seemed to have a show stopper bug (alreast on linux).

At this point, I'm praying for a stable version, but until that hapens I'm hoping to use 4.2b3.

Thanks again!

Ray :(

firestormo

Post by firestormo » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:57 am

can someone email me a copy of 4.2b3, I have 4.1 and 4.2, 4.3 and 4.4 but not 4.2b3

firestormo@att.net
thanks

twonky-christian
Lynx Technology Staff
AV Hardware:PC

4.4.1 released

Post by twonky-christian » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:14 am

Hi,

we did a minor update and have 4.4.1 online now

It *should* fix all DSM-320 problems!

What's new in Version 4.4.1
----------------------------

Changes:
o support for webbrowse-js addon

Bug fixes:
- fix for Noxon 2 detection, now also ignores wrong Noxon 2 sort criteria
- for MP3 ID3 tags which are using ASCII tags:
support for codepage ini file setting
use 932 for ShiftJIIS
use 936 for GBK (chinese)
use -1 to disable all conversions and stick to ASCII
- path to app directory and ini file is now stored in the registry during setup
this should fix the problem that license keys from the service version of the
server are not found by the interactice one and vice versa
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TwonkyMedia\AppDir]
"dir"="C:\\Documents and Settings\\user\\Application Data\\TwonkyMedia"
- if installed as service the twonkymedia icon now just launches the web config pages
and not an additional server
- support for mts and m2ts files
- ignore PNG album art in MP3 files
- accept large MP3 headers
- fixed DSM-320 video problem (it requested a subtitle and got the whole video,
which caused either stuttering playback or hangups)
- Philips TV identified now by user agent header: Philips-Software-WebClient
needs to disable picture scaling

Known issues:
- if using network drives on Windows please set scan time to 0 or positive values,
event based scanning will not work here!

thanks
Christian

firestormo

Twonky 4.4.1

Post by firestormo » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:29 am

The upgrade that corrected issues for video on the DSM320 also works on the DSM 520 running firmware ver 1.04 without issues, my xvid and divx movies dont freese after 10 seconds.

ronster
Twonkyserver 8.2

Video no longer crashing using 4.4.1

Post by ronster » Sun Aug 19, 2007 2:05 am

Success! The updates in 4.4.1 allow both my DSM-320's to play video files back to back without crashing. :D

The only intermittent oddity is at the end of a file, occasionally there is a pause up to 10 seconds before the file is closed (pause happening twice before end of file displays on screen). It may also have been some activity on my network.

I have power cycled the units, played 10 files back to back and so far it seems stable and the devices are working fine so far.

Thanks Christian

Ron

rahimlila

4.4.1 Seems to have fixed the issue

Post by rahimlila » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:43 am

Thank you for this new version. It has fixed the issue for me.

RAy :P

johnnyt

4.1.1 did not work for me

Post by johnnyt » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:49 pm

:cry: Thank you Christian. Unfortunately 4.4.1 did not work for my situation (see my specs in my August 2 reply). It dramatically improved it (no more freezes of my Xvid videos) but I still get pauses in the video and audio playback within a few seconds of starting the video. Sometimes these pauses are very quick, sometimes they are a few seconds where the video and audio are no longer synced. I played around with the different cache size settings all the way up to 128000 and it did not make a difference.

After I uninstalled 4.4.1 and reinstalled 4.3, these same Xvid videos played perfectly.

theresearcher

Re: 4.1.1 did not work for me

Post by theresearcher » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:40 am

johnnyt wrote::cry: Thank you Christian. Unfortunately 4.4.1 did not work for my situation (see my specs in my August 2 reply). It dramatically improved it (no more freezes of my Xvid videos) but I still get pauses in the video and audio playback within a few seconds of starting the video. Sometimes these pauses are very quick, sometimes they are a few seconds where the video and audio are no longer synced. I played around with the different cache size settings all the way up to 128000 and it did not make a difference.

After I uninstalled 4.4.1 and reinstalled 4.3, these same Xvid videos played perfectly.
Same with me. I bought a Slug and unslung it just to use with Twonky. mpg files from my Satellite Card recordings play fine. Only XVID or DiVX AVIs will stall. I was hoping that 4.4.1 would fix this problem since I am holding off buying Twonky until I'm satisfied this problem is fixed. 90% of my Vids are AVI! I'm using a DSM-320RD with a wired 100mb connection, and ver 1.03WW (in Canada, no updates available)

BaSe

4.4.1. not working for me

Post by BaSe » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:08 pm

Upgraded last week to 4.4.1. xvid's not freezing, but regular stops and stutters on both audio and video.

Config: Twonky 4.4.1. on a Maxtor Shared Storage Plus with firmware mss262_openmss1-rc2, using DSM-320RD with 1.04EU.

I consider going back to 4.1 for the time being, that's the latest I used, which was fine for me.
D-Link DSM-320RD | Maxtor Shared Storage Plus 500GB

BaSe

4.4.2. not working either

Post by BaSe » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:26 am

I have tried 4.4.2. now. It is even worse than 4.4.1. when it comes to video performance. Back to 4.1. now...

Berkche

Post by Berkche » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:55 pm

Hello,

on my network I've got a Synology DS-106e and a workstation with Windows XP Pro SP2: on both I installed TwonkyMedia. If I look on the Media Server list from the DSM 320 I see both server but the WinXp is blinking and when I try to watch a DivX from there I'm disconnected after 3-4 minutes. On the Synology, no problem. Any ideas ?

bonitillo

Post by bonitillo » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:36 am

I too am having stuttering with version 4.4.2. I am running a DSM-320RD with firmware 1.4 (most recent US version) and my server is a Windows 2003 SBS with P4 3.2ghz and 2.5gigs of RAM... so I have the heft. I am ready to either throw the software out the window- or the receiver.... and we all know which is the cheaper one. I have tried to increase the Streaming Buffer Size to the max and min... and I have verified that the client setting in Twonky is set as DSM-320 (should it be something else)?

ahodgey

Post by ahodgey » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:54 pm

Hi tried both the 4.4 and 4.4.2 versions of twonky and both cause stutering on my DSM 320. The server is a dlink DNS 323 with the 1.2 firmware.

Reverted back to the 4.3 previous version of twonky and everything works fine.

Previous versions can be found by changing the version number in the download paths

http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/4. ... dns323.zip

tvpa

Managed to get 4.4.2 to work

Post by tvpa » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:21 pm

Well I was also having a lot of problems playing mp4 videos with my DSM-320 - firmware 1.09 and NSLU2 server - Unslung 6.8, twonkymedia 4.4.2. The video and audio would frequently pause/break up.

What I have found is that when the NSLU2 server and the DSM-320 are directly connected through a 100Mps switch, mp4 videos play perfectly.

I tried other connection types between the NSLU2 and the DSM-320, but I only get a lot of audio and video stuttering during playback. Tried wireless, but even with 48Mps thoughput rate it did not work. Tried Netgear XE104 Homplug devices, with 54 Mps reported thoughput, but these did not work. The only connection that seems to work is directly through a switch.

theresearcher

Twonky 4.4.1

Post by theresearcher » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:18 pm

As a further update to my last post testing 4.4.1, .MP4 files created with MPG Streamclip on an iMAC or created with Nero 7 Ultra, also stall. So the only vids I have that work fine are mpeg 2 (.mpg) files and MP3 audio.

I do not have this problem with TVersity media server running on an old WINXP AMD Athlon XP 1600+ machine. My DSM-320RD will play any AVI, MP4 or even ogg files with TVersity running on an old slow PC... so the problem is with these later versions of Twonky, not the HW it is on or the DSM-320RD.

If I could get a version of Twonky 4.2.x which seems to be impossible unless you were a registered user and still have an old key and the install files, I would probably be working now with my NSLU-2.

Augie

Video not working (XP)

Post by Augie » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:53 am

Video doesn't work on my setup: Server on WinXP 4.4.2 and DSM-320RD client. Video freezes after about 4 seconds. I had down-grade to 4.3 urgently (kids crying, wife screeming ;-) so I didn't copy the clients.db - sorry. However, the server did correctly identify my client. Any further information you need? br /Mike

ogre_x
AV Hardware:ClearOS 5.1 Linux server (4.4.18)
ClearOS 5.1 Linux server (5.1.3)
PS3
HDX-HD1000

Post by ogre_x » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:46 am

I am one of those users stuck with 4.2beta3 for a long time (I believe I reported the problem with DSM-320 lockups in february).

My findings is that 4.4.1 and 4.4.2 actually are usable now, however, I have noticed some sligtt video hickups when playing, but no lockups or freezes.

My server is a P4 2.8GHz with CentOS4 and a wired 100Mbit network. The D-Link is a DSM-320 with the latest EU firmware.

So under these conditions I find 4.4.2 on par with 4.2beta3 that was the latest working version for me.

renaldo

Post by renaldo » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:49 pm

My d-link uses the latest eu FW (1.07eu).

Does anyone know where one can find the 1.07 eu application. The European support sites only have the 1.05 version available for download, as far as I can see.
Or
Is it possible to use the 1.08 or 1.09 available on the US support site for the DSM-320 in Europe?

Rollinthundr

Sooo.... where is 4.4.2 for ReadyNas?

Post by Rollinthundr » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:20 pm

I see that 4.4.2 fixed the mp4 playback issues for the DSM-320. I am eagerly awaiting this version for my NV+, so I can watch home movies again...

Rollinthundr

Post by Rollinthundr » Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:58 pm

OK, no replies to that, so can I get an idea on when to expect 4.4.2 for NV+? :?

bonitillo

Post by bonitillo » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:41 pm

WHY WHY WHY won't the DSM-320RD work right? It still stutters with the new version of the software. I just bought a DSM-520 as well and that works as smooth as can be, but it doesn't have a DVD, so I cannot use it in the living room. Is there anything else we can try? I paid for the software becuase it is supposed to be compatible with the DSM-320RD, now it really is not and it seems no one is trying to make it work!

lucken.com

Post by lucken.com » Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:15 am

we need version 4.1. i actually upgraded to 4.4 and i got the problems with lagging. i didnt have such probs with 4.1, but i dont have it anymore ;/

BaSe

New beta promised

Post by BaSe » Sun Oct 07, 2007 7:03 am

I have been in touch with Twonky support, and received an e-mail yesterday promising a new beta version next week in which they think they have solved the issue.

I will test it as soon as I have the chance. I hope others will do so as well and post their experiences here. Please include some settings that you used as well.

:D Hoping for the best!

malmostoso

Re: New beta promised

Post by malmostoso » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:06 pm

BaSe wrote:I have been in touch with Twonky support, and received an e-mail yesterday promising a new beta version next week in which they think they have solved the issue.
I think I've heard this a few times already ;)

Let's see what comes out!

rahimlila

4.4.3b1 works with AVI files on dsm-320

Post by rahimlila » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:37 pm

So it seems the latest beta (4.4.3b1) has fixed the issues we all have been seeing with divx and xvid videos.

I'm happy again! :)

malmostoso

Post by malmostoso » Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:56 pm

Where can I download this 4.4.3b1?
In the Beta discussion forum there is only a 4.4b5.
Guys, you should include the version number in the filename of the .zip... it's such a mess!