Feature request from prof. "connected home integrator&q

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
RemkoR
Feature request from prof. "connected home integrator&q

Post by RemkoR » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:43 am

Hi,

This year I started a small firm that integrates audio, video, PC and internet in homes, based on mediacenter and upnp technology.
I use the NSLU2 with 2 500GB drives as homeserver with Twonkymedia as mediaserver.

My customers have following requests;
"Music Broadcast" function. Listen to the same music in different rooms, so synchronized playing of selected content on multiple upnp clients. Philips has something similar on ints wacs7000. I hope the upnp protocol supports this.
The ability to select and play playlists on any upnp client while the playlist has been generated by the Mediacenter. Or in other words: Automatic conversion of Windows .m3u and .wpl files to linux .m3u files that are accepted by Twonkymedia.

Thanks,
Remko

jensph

Re: Feature request from prof. "connected home integrat

Post by jensph » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:35 pm

RemkoR wrote:"Music Broadcast" function. Listen to the same music in different rooms, so synchronized playing of selected content on multiple upnp clients. Philips has something similar on ints wacs7000. I hope the upnp protocol supports this.
This would be a nice feature. But wouldn't it require that the UPnP clients talk with each other? So it'd depend on choosing the right clients that support this. Would the server side (Twonky) need any modification?

RemkoR

Post by RemkoR » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:58 am

I'm not sure whether the upnp client needs additional functionality to support this.

The way I see this working is that a playlist called "broadcast" is generated with either a music selection or radiostation.

The special feature about this playlist is is that it keeps streaming music once it has been started by a client. So if another client selects this playlist, it receives the same stream as the 1st client resulting in 2 clients playing the same music.

This would require new functionality on Twonkymedia.

Remko