Best Video Format For PS3?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
bwick
Best Video Format For PS3?

Post by bwick » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:15 pm

Just wondering what you guys think is the best video format to use with the PS3. I'm thinking of converting my dvd's to mpeg's. Would this be the best option?
Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:19 pm

H264/AVC without a doubt. It's the codec used by many Blu-Ray movies, and has much better compression than the ageing MPEG2 codec.

I highly recommend PSPVideo9 to encode video into this format. However you will have to rip your movie first.

http://www.redkawa.com/videoconverters/ps3video9/

There is an all-in-one solution called Handbrake, I did not have much luck with the older version, but there is a new 0.9.0 version out.. Make sure you use the PS3 preset.

http://handbrake.m0k.org/index.php?article=download
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

bwick

Post by bwick » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:58 pm

Thanks so much I will give that a go. I'm using dvd decrypter to rip my dvds. i'll post back and let u know how I get on.

Cheers buddy!

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:02 pm

UPDATE:

I gave the latest version Handbrake for Windows a shot, and it's converted a DVD straight to AVC nicely. I am streaming the file with Twonky 4.4.2 and PS3 Firmware 1.90 now.

I used the PS3 preset. I renamed the output file from .M4V to MP4, not sure if that was necessary or not...

I think the resulting file needs deinterlacing thou, so I will run it again with the deinterlace option, but it's looking like a nice all-in-once solution for DVD-AVC conversion.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

Dartan

Post by Dartan » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:34 pm

I'm assuming you're on windows, but on linux there's a program called vobcopy (I'm sure there must be similar programs available on windows). Basically, it takes a DVD and copies the movie from the vob files on the disc and puts it all into one big vob file (and decrypts it in the process). This will will play on the PS3 through TwonkyVision perfectly! Also, it is qutie fast (a LOT faster than re-encoding the video on a DVD). This essentially gives you a mirror image of the movie as it is on the DVD.

Dave

bwick

Post by bwick » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:59 pm

thanks mgillespie! handbrake is so easy to use and does everything i want it to.

good stuff!