Twonky TAG "Album artist" vs. iTunes Tag "Alb

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
natzke
Twonky TAG "Album artist" vs. iTunes Tag "Alb

Post by natzke » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:04 pm

Hi,

as i am new to the forum I have to say "hello" first.

so: "Hello, my name is Michael"

since a few weeks i have a QNAP TS-109 with the Twonky Media Server (V4.4.2) at home. And I have to say that the Software works fine but the Documentation is the worst I have ever seen (for a commercial product). I guess there is no documentation on the server setup after installation?!

I tried to solve the following problem by seaching the Internet an the "documentation" without success:

In the Navigation tree within Twonky I can choose a Tag named "Album Artist" or in my german version "Album Interpret". I think this Tag should be the same as the iTunes Tag "Album Artist" or "Album Interpret"

I tried the following "test" Tree
Level 1: Album Artist
Level 2: Album

after a Serverrestart an a new Build of the Twonky DB I had the Test Tree on my Soundbridge. I would expect to see all "Album Artists" in that tree but i saw nothing. The tree was empty. And ther are Songs in my iTunes libary with a set Album Artist flag.

What did I wrong?

Do i have to set a Path to my iTunes Libary? Or to the Libary File? Which one: the .xml or the .itl

One more Question: I would expect that the navigation tree would show the normal Artist if the Album artist flag is not set.

If there is a Bug in iTunes and the Tag is not working, how can i set up a navigation tree like this:
Level 1 : Select the Artist
Level 2 : Select the Album
After I selected the Album I want to see ALL titles on that albun even those which are from a diffrent Artist.

I have many CDs of one Artist who had "guests" which are named on some tracks. e.g. there is one Album of Eric Clapton where played with friends. But it is an Album of Clepton and I would like to select it in that way.

How can I manage it?

Greetings,
Mike

natzke

Post by natzke » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:07 am

During the last weekend i had some time to "debug" the behavior of the node "Album Artist" in the Navigation tree.

Using the navigation tree with "Album Artist" i can find all my music under the "Album Artist" "unknown".

I guess i have one or more of the following problems
1. The iTunes Libary is not scanned.
2. The Tag "Album Artist" is not in the Music file
3. The node "Album Artist" is searching for the wrong Tag in the Files. Maybe a problem with the translation? In The German Version the Navigation Node is named "Album Interpret"

@1) Again my Question: Under "third party Appl.", do i have to set the Folder, the File iTunes Libary.xml or iTunes Libary.itl?
What else can i do to scann the iTunes Libary?
Can ich check the log-File for a propper scan?

@2) (How) Can i Add the TAG to the Music-File?

Has anybody ever successfully tried to use the node "Album Artist" in the Navigation tree?
Is there any user with the german version who is using the Node "Album Interpret"?

I can't belive that i am the only one with this problem and nobody can help.

TonyM
AV Hardware:NSLU2 Unslung
Roku M1000
Linksys WMLS11B
Netgear MP101

Post by TonyM » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:40 am

Hi Mike

I am successfully using the "Album Artist" indexing.

I have found that, after ripping CDs or downloading tracks the "Album Artist" tag is often empty.

I use Windows Media Player 11 to edit the "Album Artist" tag to ensure it holds the correct information.

If I remember correctly to edit the "Album Artist" tag, you select the tracks you want to edit then right click and choose "Advanced Tag Editor"

I am using an uNSLUng NSLU2 as my Twonky Server, with a number of different Client machines including a Linksys WMLS11B, a Phillips SLA5520 and a PC running Windows XP with the Twonky-supplied Client.

I'm afraid I am not familiar with the structure of the iTunes library so I don't know if this information is of particular use to you, other than to show that it can work :)

natzke

Post by natzke » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:53 pm

@TonyM

Thank you for your answer.

So i quess i have one or of the following problems

1. the iTunes (acc) files do not use Tags
2. my iTunes libary can not be scaned by Twonky

This will lead again to two simple questions:
@1 Can I add TAGs to acc-Files (iTunes)
@2 What do i (exactly) have to do to scan my iTunes Libary?

[/quote]

MikeP

Post by MikeP » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:30 pm

Hi Michael,

>>> 1. The iTunes Libary is not scanned.

this was my impression when I looked into importing tags :-(

I contacted support in that matter, but they seem to be too busy at the moment to look after it.

Mike

jensph

Post by jensph » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:00 am

I recommend MediaMonkey to check and fix all your tags.

I don't understand why people want to import their iTunes library (I've seen this mentioned a number of times) - what's the benefit? I have iTunes pointing to my music folder tree, as well as MediaMonkey and Twonky, and each built their own database - what am I missing out on?

MikeP

Post by MikeP » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:02 am

>>> I don't understand why people want to import their iTunes library ...

well, my point is not specifically importing the iTunes lib, but rather "injecting" custom generated tags into the TM database.
My final target is to associate tags to photos.
Since the import - as mentioned at the Developer's site - did not work for me, I went for importing the iTunes lib - as a proof of concept. But this did not work either :-(

Mike

natzke

Post by natzke » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:55 am

jensph wrote:I don't understand why people want to import their iTunes library (I've seen this mentioned a number of times) - what's the benefit?
The benefit is that i don't have to use a third tool for a function which is included in iTunes.

natzke

Post by natzke » Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:24 am

jensph wrote:I recommend MediaMonkey to check and fix all your tags.
I tested MediaMonkey. It doesn't help because it can't add Tags to apples .m4a files.
jensph wrote:I don't understand why people want to import their iTunes library
And I don't understand that nobody can answer my simple Question:
Do i have to spezify the Path to the iTunes Libary, the xml-File or the itl-File and how can ich Check the log-File if the Libary was scanned correctly?