iTunes AAC & PS3 - who is responsible Twonky, Sony or Ap

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
nhkader
iTunes AAC & PS3 - who is responsible Twonky, Sony or Ap

Post by nhkader » Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:12 pm

I have a Linkstation Pro and installed Twonky on the system without any problems. The NAS is linked to several Macs, a PC and a PS3. I would like to have my Music available through the PS3, but I can only get access to MP3's.

What I would like to know is, with whom is the responsibility for sorting out the mess of Unsupported Data. Is it a Twonky problem or Sony or even Apple.

I'm reluctant to re-encode the library to MP3 format.

I can fully understand DRM iTunes music, but I'm talking of CD's that I've ripped using iTunes in AAC format. They should not have a problem streaming.

Soon after installing Twonky, I paid them for the software, but would appreciate that for the very least they identify the problem and if Twonky is the problem, it is addressed.

Radgie1

Post by Radgie1 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:34 am

You would suspect Twonky as AAC is the standard Audio format for both iTunes/iPod and PS3, however, it could be Apple. See except below relating to non DRM protected AAC's purchased from iStore:

These files mostly adhere to the AAC standard and are playable on many non-Apple products but they do include custom iTunes information such as album artwork and a purchase receipt.

I realise this doesn't directly relate to your predicament as you've imported your media not purchased but I'd hazard a guess they contain this same custom iTunes info.

Could be worth ripping an AAC through a non Apple product and see if it works...

wideasleep1

Post by wideasleep1 » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:13 pm

Roku fora are reporting issues with the most recent version on iTunes (7.5?), seems Apple did change something wrt encoding process.

nhkader

Post by nhkader » Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:56 pm

Everything points to it being a Twonky problem. I have iTunes v7.5 and a PS3 v2.00. The AAC files when saved on a USB stick and inserted in the PS3, play perfectly fine. The AAC files are all ripped from CDs, so I do not have any DRM issues as these I would understand perfectly.

I have contacted Twonky and they say that they will look into the problem. Fingers crossed.

henning

Post by henning » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:26 pm

This is the only thing preventing me from buying TwonkyMedia today.

coderus

Post by coderus » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:45 pm

Hi,
I have used ACC for my iTunes library and also cannot have these files played. They are appearing as .m4a's

I would be interested in how to solve this as I have a QNAP ts-109.

Thanks

tucs

Post by tucs » Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:26 pm

I am exactly in the same case of people in the thread. I can not read m4a stream file from TwonkyServer on my PS3 with 2.01 firmware.
I managed to play m4a when I put files on USB drive.

Right after the problem is resolved, I will purchase a license for that software.

sauerball

Post by sauerball » Tue Dec 11, 2007 5:07 am

Any update on this issue? I have the same problem. Frustrating.