Windows shares works, upnp doesn't. Any pointers?

Other OS or NAS discussions
macker
Windows shares works, upnp doesn't. Any pointers?

Post by macker » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:00 pm

Hi everyone :) ,
I'm new to the world of media streaming and still gettgin to grips with it all. I've managed to hack my Buffalo HD160 Linkstation and install Twonkyserver on it. The web manager for the Twonky works fine.
At the moment I'm trying to access my music media on the NAS using an Intempo GX-01. Using windows shares I can play music successfully. However upnp has got me scratching my head. The media player on the GX-01 can see all the files when using the upnp, but it does not seem to be able to play them. When a file is added to the queue, the GX-01 screen shows a 'connecting' message but never manages to connect.
All my files are in mp3 and they'll play via the GX-01 using windows shares but not the upnp.
I've tried searching the forum for answers but haven't found anything (doesn't mean it's not there, possibly just me being dumb! :roll: )
I'd really appreciate it if one of you fine people could either point me in the direction of a solution, or where I might find some information to help me on my way.
BTW, I knew nothing about breaking into the linkstation but managed it using the info on nas-central. :shock: What a buzz! (I'm easily buzzed)
Thanks,
Macker
Macker

A little knowledge is sometimes more dangerous...

Buffalo HD160HDLAN NAS TwonkyMedia Server 4.4

Buffalo G54 Airstation
Intempo GX-01

wideasleep1

Post by wideasleep1 » Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:48 am

Are you sure the Intempo is a UPnP device?

macker

Post by macker » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:01 am

I believe so. The Intempo menu offers the usual choices (for a reciva based unit)
:arrow: Media Player, then

:arrow: Windows Shares
:arrow: UPNP Servers
:arrow: Local Media
:arrow: Playback Mode
:arrow: Clear Queue
Selecting UPNP servers then identifies any UPNP servers on the network. It shows the Twonky and any other UPNP servers such as WM11 on other machines on the network. It will also play from those PCs that have unprotected content.
If the NAS based Twonky media server is selected from Intempo, it shows all the file information; Album, Artist, etc. However when it is added to the queue and should start playing (as it does if sourcing from a WM11 player on any of the PCs) the display just shows the track name and 'connecting' message underneath. It continues to show this message until I cancel.
I guess the question is whether it's the Intempo or the Twonky, or some incompatability between the two. Someone somewhere will either know the answer or be able to offer some clues that may help :idea: .
The key difference between the windows share and UPNP option in my case is that I can't use any playlists. If I can get the UPNP working then it all gets a bit easier.
Anything you can add to the party will be appreciated. :)
Cheers,
Macker
Macker

A little knowledge is sometimes more dangerous...

Buffalo HD160HDLAN NAS TwonkyMedia Server 4.4

Buffalo G54 Airstation
Intempo GX-01

maxibabes
AV Hardware:QNAP TS101 NAS
Itempo GX-01
Freecom/MG-350HD

Re: Windows shares works, upnp doesn't. Any pointers?

Post by maxibabes » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:40 am

Hi Macker and everyone!

Did you get your Twonky and GX-01 to talk/play mp3 media over UPNP? I'm tryind to do excatly the same but no luck?

Any pointers anyone?

I have Twonky 4.4.6 on my NAS but same 'results' as Macker's post?

thansk,

Max.