New Feature Requests

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
business101

Post by business101 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:16 pm

twonky-christian wrote:Hi,

we started srt implementation and found it is a mess - no standard there at all.

We implemented srt support for Philips Streamium and for some D-Link clients (they use both different ways to resolve these).

Looks like you are saying the Syabas guys have a third idea how to use them ?

In any case we can not include the subtitles into the stream as this would imply re-coding the stream on the fly.

If you want to help with srt support try to find out which (UPnP) players are using it in which way - and identify the most common one here ;-)

Christian

hijack wrote:DVD subtitles is a whole different issue as many players parse them on their own different way. There are programs allowing this on Syabas middleware (firmware) like Snazio, NeoDigits, Trans-gear, Netgear DSM using a software developed by the MPC Club Scene called Wizd (Developed by JiB)!

For KiSS players, the option is developed by MPC Club Scene called Kissdx (developed by VIT)

Mainly media files support is targeted for DivX/Xvid (srt and SUB support)
To be able playing sub/idx (dvd subtitles) the issue is that it is in combination with VOB files. That would need capabilities of IFO parsing and if even SRT and SUB seem to be so hard for Twonky to implement, then SUB/IDX will be even harder...

I hope it will be supported very soon. It's the only way the Twonky software will ever be considered a decent media player. The issues comes from the fact Twonky was originated in germany that does not need subs really as everything is dubbed. Once started international sales the demand became higher and higher...

Well, i removed Twonky now, got fed up waiting and started using
EzLinkNG in combination with the native uPnPav browser in the infrant
which does a better job at playing movies with subtitles. Further more,
most players released now incorporate SMB and DVD ISO and IFO
capabilities. Perfect match with no need for incomplete software to run
anymore that can only deliver parts of the things we need...

Missed chances...
It could have been so much more then an "option" only.

im using the twonky on my qnap, but im sd to see that it lacks .srt or .sub capabilities.

this forces me to use alternative software when i need subtitles. the subs are needed TO IMPROVE WAF.

at the moment i watch movies using twonky and wizdxp when the wife is watching along.

its sad that it is not possible to eliminate this extra software.
i think that wizd is open source, so why not have a look at it and maybe contact the developer.

kind regards,

lars :cry:

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:05 pm

Last.FM support.

I feel this is essential functionality. They have a open SDK to create Last.FM applications with.

Loads of good info here:

http://www.audioscrobbler.net/development/protocol/
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

jensph

Post by jensph » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:22 am

When speaking of Picture streaming in a different thread,
twonky-christian wrote:where to put it ?

A separate folder for each picture folder like
- ALL -
- Random -
This would be a great addition to Music as well. Playing all the music from a particular year, for example, it'd be nice to shuffle up the albums. Though it'd have to be newly randomized each time a folder is visited to keep it fresh.

jensph

Post by jensph » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:55 am

A good percentage of my music is classical and I've labeled the year tag in my classical files using year composed (instead of the year recorded). When browsing the music tree by year I have a couple hundred years to get to the most recent.

Two feature requests:

(1) the option to have the years sorted in reverse order - the current year is first.

(2) the ability to group - every decade, for example. Similar to how you can group the alphebetical tree AB, etc.

A third, perhaps more difficult to implement, request:

(3) In an Artist | Album tree, the albums should be sorted by year! You can do a Year tree, so I'd think this should be possible.

raven

Post by raven » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:11 pm

I would like to be able to sort the tree as follows:

artist [ABC], artist [A], Artist, Album

Ewreck

tree structure

Post by Ewreck » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:12 pm

I like to see more options like style, mood etc. in the tree structure.

Salvatore

Filter for the tree

Post by Salvatore » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:42 am

Please add the filters in the node tree for include or exclude media files based on type, filename, path, ecc.

thx

Elric2176

Support for AAC on PS3 for NAS devices

Post by Elric2176 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:20 pm

Please add support to allow playing AAC M4A (iTunes) audio files on the PS3.

This applies at least to NAS devices, as they generally can't do transcoding to MP3 on-the-fly, which might be possible for a PC, I understand. (I refer to the D-Link DNS-323 specifically.)
Last edited by Elric2176 on Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

khammo01

Ability to modify MIME types (or support IODATA AVLS300)

Post by khammo01 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 2:44 pm

Ability to modify MIME types-
I have an AVLS300 from IO Data - it plays MPG files fine but cannot play the AVI files (they are greyed out).
After much searching, I found they can be played if I change the MIME type for AVI to video/avi from video/msvideo . The only way to do this is to hexedit the server executable!

JoergH

Group the playlists by letters

Post by JoergH » Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:47 pm

Ability to group the playlists also by letters !
My playlist list is 800 entries, so scrolling and scrolling...

Goblin

TVU Playback

Post by Goblin » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:56 pm

We live in the UK, and my wife is Chinese.

What I would really like to see is a plugin for TV that would integrate to something like the TVUPlayer feed so that my wife can whatch Chinese television from the China mainland on something like the Netgear AV player connected to a TV instead of her having to sit in front of her PC to keep up to date with events back home.

Does anyone have ideas if that is possible now via an SDK? I would like to submit this as a feature request which I think a lot of people would also really like to see.

soundsgood

Support for lossless formats for PS3 as a client

Post by soundsgood » Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:10 am

Hi!

I have several types of clients connecting to my server (DNS-323) and would like to be able to store the music files in a lossless format (WMA, WAV). Unfortunately, Twonky doesn't support these formats for all clients!

I would like to have support for these formats for the PS3.

blaze_ventura

Multiple database files

Post by blaze_ventura » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:23 am

Hi,

I've been having problems with my soundbridge failing to load the Twonky database or taking ages to parse through to the correct server container or play a song when it is reaches a certain size (currently the DB sits in at 21350 KB).

If I re-build the database file, as the file is building and the file size is small, data transfer to my soundbridge is very quick.

I was wondering if it'd be possible to create functionality to allow a database to be spanned across multiple sub-files, each of which could be relatively small in file size and be quicker to load across the network. This would still allow users to generate a full database of their albums

Wolferich

support for mp3tunes.com

Post by Wolferich » Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:59 pm

http://www.mp3tunes.com allows you to store all mp3-files in the internet. So they can be accessed from each pc with internet connection. They support devices like Noxon2 or Slimbox to stream directly fom the web. If mp3tunes.com support would be included into Twonky, all UPNP-devices could be used with mp3tunes and no spinning HD would be required.

tobias

Remote Control Twonky Client via Web Interface?

Post by tobias » Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:04 am

By the way:
Would it be possible to add a feature to Twonky which allows to "remote control" a client from a Web Interface. So what I would like to do is to just-in-time select music files that are to be played by my noxon 2 (attached to Twonky) via a web interface with my laptop (WLAN).

This would be really great.

Best regards,
Tobias

djabf

MPJEG Support

Post by djabf » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:10 pm

I'd like to see support for Motion JPEG video files, so that I can views movies recorded on my DSC without having to convert to another format.

Schlitz

Post by Schlitz » Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:31 am

<<<please>>>

I have a problem with albums that consist of 2 or more CDs which are placed in multiple sub directories, like this:

Aerosmith\1986 Pump\CD1
Aerosmith\1986 Pump\CD2

MP3 tag <album> of all MP3 files in both subdirectories contain "Pump" (not "Pump CD1" + "Pump CD2"), <track> are: CD1: 1,2,3... CD2: 1,2,3...

The problem is: if I navigate to the Album "Pump" and select play, the tracks are played in this order:

CD1, track 1
CD2, track 1
CD1, track 2
CD2, track 2
CD1, track 3
CD2, track 3

but I want to hav this order:
CD1, track 1
CD1, track 2
CD1, track 3

slipperman

Post by slipperman » Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:59 am

I would like to have a folder to put text file or xml type playlist exports from itunes. These playlists should then appear under the playlist navigation folder. Really missing that when using twonky on my DNS-323 and streaming mp3:s to my ps3.
//Per

Vincent

Post by Vincent » Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:55 pm

I would like a better support of FLAC.
Especially the composer and cover art is what I'm missing

grzegorz9141

NevoSL

Post by grzegorz9141 » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:19 pm

Hallo,

wan komt support für NevoSL remote control?

malaki86

Post by malaki86 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:21 pm

I'd love to see the "ALL" feature gone as well. This could be a user selectable item. Then, if the "ALL" is gone and there is only one item in the tree, say "Folders" then allow Twonky to go directly to that item.

Example:

Code: Select all

Current setup:
Root
  |-Music
  |-Pictures
  |-Video
      |-All Video
      |-Folders
          |-Action
          |-Comedy
          |-Drama

Code: Select all

After eliminating the "ALL":
Root
  |-Music
  |-Pictures
  |-Video
      |-Action
      |-Comedy
      |-Drama
I would LOVE to see this ability!!! Besides, with 2,000+ video files, I'll NEVER use the "ALL" as it would be pointless.

campbellr66

Re: Transcode AVI/DivX to WMA for XBOX 360

Post by campbellr66 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:23 pm

joewalch wrote:TRANSCODE AVI/DIVX TO WMA FOR XBOX 360

A major gripe is that all the content I have on AVI/DivX is not playable on XBOX 360.

I am running Windows Home Server Beta at present and Twonky beats the windows server hands down, especially for stability.

It would be one in the eye for MS if Twonky could do this.
I have heard that the Xbox 360 dashboard update Dec 07 will support DivX streaming to the 360 directly... good news. May be other similar codecs like Xvid will also run on it... about time... what were microsoft thinking of!
Infrant ReadyNAS, TV MediaServer 4.4, TVedia win32 Client 4.2, DSM-320, Pinnacle SC200, Streamium 50i

campbellr66

Please add MP3 style tags for video files

Post by campbellr66 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:31 pm

campbellr66 wrote:1) Implement inbuilt Video Tags for MP4 and DivX files and support browsing video by Genere, Studio etc. I mostly use TWONKY to store TV episodes so browsing by Season and episode would be good. At a minimum the ability to have a display name different from the file name. Due to the lack of video file tags most people include a lot of info in the file name, this is not great on a limited width tv screen etc.

2) Parental Controls ... plenty posted on this previously.

3) On demand and Batch transcoding of video formats.

4) A lot of improvements to the software client (web browser). Take a look at TVedia for ideas

these will be key features for a central video centric media server in the home.
ReadyNAS is filling up nicely .... really need something better than folder based file organisation.

Please implement displaying title attribute instead of file name and some other limited but common video tags where available like Genere, Producer, Studio etc.

?
Infrant ReadyNAS, TV MediaServer 4.4, TVedia win32 Client 4.2, DSM-320, Pinnacle SC200, Streamium 50i

sanderant

Post by sanderant » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:31 pm

Cut and pasting from my unanswered post below. I looked a little further and it appears this isn't doable, but it would be a real benefit to those of us with a lot of music.

The Tree configuration is a little cumbersome, especially since it requires a reboot and I can't figure out how to delete levels once they're added.

I'd like to expand the artist index view in advanced default to do the following:

ABC -> A,B,C -> AA, AB, AC, etc -> Aardvark, Aaron

So Artist (3) to Artist (1) to Artist (2) without the entire Artist list in between.

kelix

ALL feature

Post by kelix » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:58 am

remove the -ALL- feature

also now add Xvid DivX for PS3 :)

k1200rs
AV Hardware:Does no longer attend this forum.

Re: ALL feature

Post by k1200rs » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:15 pm

kelix wrote:remove the -ALL- feature

Yeap, really useless.

k1200rs
AV Hardware:Does no longer attend this forum.

Post by k1200rs » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:17 pm

malaki86 wrote:I'd love to see the "ALL" feature gone as well. This could be a user selectable item. Then, if the "ALL" is gone and there is only one item in the tree, say "Folders" then allow Twonky to go directly to that item.
I vote for that one as well.

fd2000

media browser enhancement: include a playlist

Post by fd2000 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:21 am

It would be nice to have a media browser enhancement:

Render a playlist automatically during runtime with directories content. So click the link the playlist opened in media player and all files in directory are played with one click.
Client: WAS7000/12

calviny

Post by calviny » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:28 am

Requests for "mts/m2ts" supports on PS3.

sonic

Re: media browser enhancement: include a playlist

Post by sonic » Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:37 am

fd2000 wrote:It would be nice to have a media browser enhancement:

Render a playlist automatically during runtime with directories content. So click the link the playlist opened in media player and all files in directory are played with one click.
I agree with fd2000. I know that a lot of you wanted to have the ability of web access, but i feel that there has been a compromise here. The ability of choosing whole albums and playlists, as suggested by the above, has been a feature that I enjoyed in Twonky 4.3 and this is the reason why I haven't upgraded.

HHaynes

Post by HHaynes » Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:27 pm

I realize that many facets of the request I'm about to make actually needs to be worked out on the client side, but I thought I'd go ahead and put in a word here for the server-side setup as well, whether by creating a new file type declaration or through implementing a demuxing plugin before streaming to the client.

I'd like to see (and hear) more support for surround formats - particularly
  • DTS (*.dts)
  • DTS-WAV (*.wav)
  • multi-channel PCM WAV (*.wav)
  • multi-channel MP3 (*.mp3)
  • multi-channel AIFF (*.aif)
  • Broadcast Wave Format (*.wav)
  • multi-channel Windows Media Audio (*.wma)
Are there any that I've missed?

For my purposes, I'd like to be able to render a multi-channel file (I have authoring programs [primarily Nuendo 4.1] that support export of all of these formats) to my NAS and then stream it to my screening room to check the mix before rendering in conjunction with the video stream, which takes a significantly longer and involves launching another authoring tool (Vegas 8 Pro/DVD Architect 4.5).

I would very much like to see increased support for these formats as media streaming game consoles and surround systems become more commonplace. Right now I have to go through quite a few contortions to get my Zappa "Quadraphiliac" and Crystal Method "Legion of Boom" DTS CDs to play, and that's just a shame.

:)

So, give a shout-out of support if you're like me and want to have more surround sound options. Likewise, if anyone can shed some light on where "the work" lies in getting these formats to work (server, plugin, client) I think it would be a useful discussion in order to better understand the technological barriers to making it a reality. TIA!

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

1: Flac tags and 2: Artist's from 'hidden' compilations

Post by Briain » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:02 pm

1: FLAC tag recognition for composer and album artist
I've been reading the forum and it would seem that the current build does not recognise 'album artist' nor 'composer' tags within FLAC files.

I really like the other features and ease of use, but the album artist is essential as along with my single artist albums, I have thousands of tracks on compilation albums. I have created a separate container for the compilations and thus cut down the list of artists in the artist list, but need to display the album artist to find these compilation albums again.

2: Facility to list artists from 'hidden' compilations (but not mixed up with main artist list)
Another really cool feature which could maybe be included in future developments would be an enhancement to the music tree options to enable finding artist’s tracks from the ‘hidden’ compilation albums; that would be very, very useful indeed!

Julolidine

Post by Julolidine » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:11 am

I know this has been mentioned, however a scrobbling feature for Last.fm would be amazing, and should be doable considering that aforementioned SDK. Considering all my other players do it, it should be possible.

Ber_NL

multiple artists

Post by Ber_NL » Mon Jan 07, 2008 2:45 pm

I can seperate multiple artists with a slash in the id3tag of the mp3-file.
In earlier versions of TwonkyMedia, an artist- tag "David Bowie/Tina Turner" would result in finding the song throug the artistname "David Bowie" and also through "Tina Turner".
In the new version of TwonkyMedia it shows only under "David Bowie/Tina Turner" and that's a shame. It was such a nice feature.

I have tried other delimiters like , ; \ | etc. without succes. That's alright because the / is the only standard way for doing this. Windows explorer also gives a reaction on the use of / and only shows "David Bowie". For those who are bothered, you can avoid slashes or use "David Bowie & Tina Turner/Tina Turner & David Bowie".
QNAP TS-101 with TwonkyMedia 4.2Q and XBOX-360.
Conceptronic C54WMP Media Player.

ThyMaster

Re: ALL feature

Post by ThyMaster » Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:59 am

k1200rs wrote:
kelix wrote:remove the -ALL- feature

Yeap, really useless.
No it's not!

Actually I really want this feature for pictures, too.
Example: The Kodak Picture Frames cannot display folders and files on one screen.
So if you have subfolders and pictures in one folder it will only show the subfolders. But if I get - ALL - as the meta-folder I'm still able to see at least all of my pictures!

See also my post at http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

Regards
ThyMaster

niq77174

Post by niq77174 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:58 pm

Ability to create playlists using the web browser. If your music server isn't in the living room, there's no way to make one!

ac667788

Post by ac667788 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:12 pm

add video tag support for *.avi files

AddSound

Post by AddSound » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:44 am

Issue:
When a ‘compilation’ of a single artist (i.e. The Best of 1980-1990, U2) is ripped via iTunes it is stored under the ‘compilation’ folder in a folder using the name of the album. iTunes seems to be able to then find the ‘compilation’ album and other non-compilation albums via the artist search (i.e. the artist search will display other albums ‘Joshua Tree’ and the compilation album ‘Best of ….’).

Twonky for some reason does not display the ‘compilation’ album when the artist albums is displayed. I.e when you use Artist/Index and go to U2 you will see the artist albums ‘Joshua Tree’, ‘How to dismantle an atomic bomb’, etc, BUT not the ‘compilation’ album ‘The best of 1980-1990’.

To enable Twonky to see this album in any of the Twonky artist searches I need to physically move the ‘compilation’ album from the ‘compilation’ folder and place it into the artist folder. This then, after doing a folder rescan (database rebuild), shows the ‘compilation’ album in the Twonky artist searches.

Now this problem appears to come about as a result of iTunes ripping music that it considers to be a compilation, even if it is from one artist, and storing it in the compilations directory. This is done when iTunes is enabled to manage the music directory. This I would consider to be the pseudo standard for music storage management.

Resolution:
It appears that there are two distinct use cases that the ‘compilations’ function is attempting to manage in iTunes. They are 1. Albums of multiple artists (Hits of 87) and 2. Albums of one artist but from multiple albums (The Best of Neil Diamond). iTunes manages this successfully in the way it presents the music in iTunes. Twonky does not handle the two use cases at all. In fact it handles neither. Note: I do not agree that iTunes has the ‘compilation’ function operating as it should as any album containing one ‘primary’ artist should be stored in the artist folder. This does not happen. Eg. The Best of 1980-1990, U2 and A time 2 Love, Stevie Wonder with other artist appearing on three songs. These two examples are obviously artist albums and not compilations.

Twonky needs to address the fact that the two distinct cases must be managed. When a ‘compilation’ artist is located in the ‘compilations’ directory the album must be displayed in any artist related searches. This should take care of both use cases to a sufficient level – same as iTunes.

NOTE: If you allow iTunes to manage your music storage you will ultimately end up with iTunes moving any compilations albums back into the compilations directory even if you have moved them manually to suit Twonky.

GregiBoy
AV Hardware:Zensonic Z500 x 2, Ziova CS-505, D-Link DSM-320, iPaq RX3715, TwonkyVision 4.4.3 Windows XP, TVersity

Post by GregiBoy » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:34 am

AddSound wrote:Issue:
This I would consider to be the pseudo standard for music storage management.
I totally disagree with this statement. I think that iTunes is a POS and there are far better packages out there to manage your music, WinAmp, MediaMonkey, or may I say it, Windows Media Player.

edrikk

Post by edrikk » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:19 am

ac667788 wrote:add video tag support for *.avi files
I second that!
Please include ability to read AVI tags (ie as added by ABCAvi Tag Editor).

I really want my files properly tagged, and right now, I actually convert all my videos to MP4 format if only for the tagging.

AddSound

Post by AddSound » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:06 am

GregiBoy wrote:
AddSound wrote:Issue:
This I would consider to be the pseudo standard for music storage management.
I totally disagree with this statement. I think that iTunes is a POS and there are far better packages out there to manage your music, WinAmp, MediaMonkey, or may I say it, Windows Media Player.
Woh...sorry for that. I was not inferring which was better or worse at anything. Simply that iTunes is the most used. You can argue the point all you want as to which shoe fits the other persons foot better...but most feet slip into iTunes. I agree it is a little lacking...and if you read what I have said you will see that.

That said, I think you have missed my point regarding the organisation of the Twonky database and compilation albums. This needs to be improved. How...I really don't care.

GregiBoy
AV Hardware:Zensonic Z500 x 2, Ziova CS-505, D-Link DSM-320, iPaq RX3715, TwonkyVision 4.4.3 Windows XP, TVersity

Post by GregiBoy » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:27 am

edrikk wrote:
ac667788 wrote:add video tag support for *.avi files
I second that!
Please include ability to read AVI tags (ie as added by ABCAvi Tag Editor).

I really want my files properly tagged, and right now, I actually convert all my videos to MP4 format if only for the tagging.
I third this. I also tag all my files correctly and even that POS TVersity reads them whereas Twonky will not use them.

:oops:

raven

Post by raven » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:03 pm

Adding a web based music player in the webbrowse page. Now my files are downloaded first before i can play them.

DanielB

Post by DanielB » Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:56 pm

I'd really like to see WebDAV support.

Today I have a map on my desktop that is linked to a web based storage provided by my ISP using WebDAV . It would be really nice if I could share this map with Twonky on my home network.

BR,
Daniel

miwu

Post by miwu » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:04 am

Hello,

your new Web-Media-Browser is great. It would be much greater, if there will be a search-option (for music), where i can enter parts of Song-Name or artis and Twonky gives me the results from my music-Collection. I searched the Internet for an http-bases Music-Browser with this feature.

Thanks

Michael

pybear

Post by pybear » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:18 am

Hello

Requests for :

- "mts/m2ts" supports on PS3

- DTS sound with the .VOB files (or MPG files) on PS3

- no limit with the Divx HD on the PS3 (2 GO !!)

- WAV 5.1 channel (DTS)

thank's very much

I'm a Linux user and happy to use Twonkyvision.

bye

dutchsea

Request (repeated) for subtitles

Post by dutchsea » Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:00 pm

When can we expect subtitles. I am waiting for a year already. All other media servers have this capability so it cant be that hard. Start with the .srt format and build from there if there is demand for other formats.

Luuk

3 New features

Post by Luuk » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:08 pm

1. Transcoding
2. Transcoding
3. Transcoding

Those of us who own a PS3 are almost lost without it!

Phil72
AV Hardware:Terastation Live
Twonkymedia server
Archos TV+ client

Re: New Feature Requests

Post by Phil72 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:08 am

Transcoding from:
- flac to wav-mp3 for NAS;
- asf to mp3 for listening radios that broadcast in asf.
Cheers
Phil

bAZ
AV Hardware:dsm-520

Re: New Feature Requests

Post by bAZ » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:25 am

I would like a way to "tag" video files (numerous formats) and then browse via those tags.

For example:

Say I have a home movie of my son playing baseball. I'd like to tag it with "Son", "Baseball", "2008", etc. Then when I go to the video section of my dsm520, I'd see:

All Videos
Folder
Tags

Clicking on Tags, I would the see:
Son
Baseball

Within each of these, is the same video (or actually, a pointer to the same video I guess.. I don't want 3 copies of it). I am hoping this is something Twonky can do. It is certainly possible as I've seen it done in TVersity but that program has other issues that prevent me from using it. I am of course open to any other suggestions which achieve my desired results with current features. I've taken a look at the custom tree navigation but cannot find any help files or guides for it so I'm not sure what to do. The various guess and check attempts I've made seem to have absolutely no impact. Perhaps I can accomplish this somehow with playlists? I am a competent developer and could certianly write my own "Tagging" program if I know how to get that info to Twonky.