New Joiners - this forum is rubbish. Dont expect a response

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
andyrich29
New Joiners - this forum is rubbish. Dont expect a response

Post by andyrich29 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:07 pm

Not sure why this forum is so crap - but it is.

After all, listening to music, from a media server - without having your PC on must be a priority for any music lover.

Wireless is the future - but you wouldnt guess.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

No documentation.

If you;re a techy, wondering why something wont quite work properly, I'm afraid you're proverbially shafted.

I am a software engineer willing to dabble. But not having ANY resources anywhere to find out a particular problem is a NO GO.

A victory for the big boys.

cbhwr

Post by cbhwr » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:37 pm

I am a software engineer willing to dabble. But not having ANY resources anywhere to find out a particular problem is a NO GO.

Seriously? No resources anywhere at all? I find loads of help and inspiration from this forum, and when things get too techy, I turn to my UPnP manual from Intel ... I can recommend that one if you want to dabble :D

But, prey tell, what problems are you experiencing?

/G

malaki86

Post by malaki86 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:33 am

andyrich29 wrote:Not sure why this forum is so crap - but it is.

After all, listening to music, from a media server - without having your PC on must be a priority for any music lover.

No documentation.

If you;re a techy, wondering why something wont quite work properly, I'm afraid you're proverbially shafted.

Ok - let's see if I have this straight.

Your music is stored on your computers hard drive. You're wanting your wireless media player to play these music files from the computers hard drive without the computer being turned on.

Exactly HOW do you expect the files to go from the computer to the wireless network without being turned on? Do you think that it can magically pull the data from the hard drive without the drive being spinning, let alone have any power to operate the read/write heads.

If you want something that you can play without the need of the pc being turned on, get an iPod. Copy the music you want to it, then play directly from the iPod.

As far as wireless being the way to go, I have 2 D-Link DSM-320's running wireless. I can watch video on both at the same time with no problems whatsoever.

wideasleep1

Re: New Joiners - this forum is rubbish. Dont expect a respo

Post by wideasleep1 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:38 am

andyrich29 wrote:Not sure why this forum is so crap - but it is.

No documentation.

I disagree that THIS FORUM is crap...quite the opposite.

I agree that waning NAS support is wrongheaded, and will continue to voice my displeasure on that topic, AND the poor documentation..loads of room for improvement there. But, I bet you're disappointed you actually got responses to this thread, huh? ;) Btw, Twonky has nothing to do with wired/wireless, so...whatever.

ablevy

Post by ablevy » Sun Dec 09, 2007 3:28 am

Well, I have to say I'm disappointed also, but it's mostly my own fault. I should have realized that when neither Infrant (now Netgear) or Twonky had any easy to find links to the software for the the NAS, that Twonky isn't supporting it.

That said, zero documentation for a piece of software that you pay for and no real documentation other than a FAQ doesn't make it in my book. So far, even the built in uPnP server on the Infrant does almost as well as twonky. On that basis I won't be recommending it to anyone. If I am willing to run from a PC, TVersity is still free and does pretty much everything that Twonky does.

Alan

sanderant

Post by sanderant » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:43 pm

I agree with ablevy. The lack of documentation and overall lack of response in this forum is a black eye on what is mostly a good product.

Only responding to emails as opposed to replying in the forums is big mistake as most search the forums for answers first, and I'm sure the lackluster 0 response threads have cost Twonky more than its share of customers.

There are a growing number of free servers nipping at their heels, if they don't get their act together they won't survive.

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:14 pm

and now there's no more support for the slug either...
there's danger in complacency and comfort in the fight

mshilly

Wasn't always like this...

Post by mshilly » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:09 am

Used to be a time when the Twonky developers were on this forum everyday. It appears that Packet Video's goals for the Twonky Media Server is not the same as it was before the acquisition. The documentation has never been stellar, but it was sufficient enough that I was able to get it to run on my NSLU2 in early 2006 and it has been totally solid since.

I still believe that there are enough Experienced Users here that we can help each other out.
(2) DSM-320 FW1.09, Twonky 4.4.2 running on Knoppix 4.0.2 3TB RAID 0/Samba/CUPS Storage and Print Server.