Use of xbox 360 as client to stream video and pictures

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
do8bo
Use of xbox 360 as client to stream video and pictures

Post by do8bo » Sun Oct 07, 2007 5:32 pm

Can anyone tell me if I should be able to stream videos and pictures through an xbox 360?

I can get music through it no problem but no video or pictures.

I normally use a Kiss dp-600 as client to view video and pictures, but would like the kids to be able to get same media through xboxes.

I'm running v4.1 Twonky on NSLU2 with v2.3R63 Unslung.

Do I need to updrade to v4.4?

Sorry if the answers already posted..I tried to find it but have failed :(
do8bo

dblackeby

Post by dblackeby » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:13 pm

You can (I use my Xbox360 to stream music, photos & videos from Twonky running on a Kurobox-HG) but you probably need to upgrade the version of Twonky the spring 2007 update changed the way it worked (which was resolved in a later release of Twonky, sorry cant remember which version of the top of my head)

do8bo

Post by do8bo » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:53 pm

Thanks for the reply. Finally found myself with some time to look into this now it's Christmas :)

Seems like v4.4.2 is the version I need (as other posts about v4.4.3 don't leave me with confidence that it'll work with my set up).

However, I've got to say I'm struggling with how to do the upgrade on to my Unslung NSLU2. Tried just copying the 4.4.2 TwonkyVision directory structure and files into the same place as the old one and restarting but it obviously isn't that simple :D

I've tried looking around on the website and on the forum but haven't managed to find anything useful. Any pointers in the right direction would be appreciated.
do8bo

dblackeby

Post by dblackeby » Mon Dec 24, 2007 9:09 pm

You need to make sure you set the necessary permissions on the file / folder structure as per the installation guide e.g. chmod 700 twonkym*

I'm currently away from home so cant verify my permissions until I return early January, let me know if you are still stuck.

Toxic

Post by Toxic » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:36 am

Regards Simon
http://www.linksysinfo.org
Synology CS-407 Firmware: 2.0 - 0726 : Drives: 4 x Samsung HD501LJ SATA II 500GB RAID5 : Xbox360

do8bo

Post by do8bo » Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:53 pm

Thanks guys.

I forgot to say I had set permissions with:

chmod 700 twonkym* cgi-bin/* plugins/*"

Toxic's post looks interesting though as the download I found for 4.4.2 was different and didn't include NASsetup.exe like Toxic's one does. I'm pretty sure that's what I used to install in the first place running from a Windows PC and installing on to the NSLU2.

I'm a bit worried however about screwing up what I've got working at the moment. Does anyone know if I can run the 4.4.2 NASsetup and just let it overwrite what's there (the 4.1 version)?

I was going to rename the twonkyvision directory first and take a copy of the startup file: S99twonkyvision in /opt/etc/init.d/

Are there any other files / settings I should be preserving to try and put stuff back if it all goes horribly wrong?
do8bo

do8bo

Post by do8bo » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:37 pm

Well it has all gone horribly wrong :cry:

Decided to give it a go and ran the NASSetup.exe. Now my NSUL2 won't reboot. Anyone got any ideas on how to undo this mess?

What has been altered during the install? I can get the NSLU2 to reboot without the USB HDD attached so it's obviously something on the Unslung area that's been altered.

I'm a real Unix novice so any pointers would be helpful.
do8bo

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Post by mgillespie » Sun Dec 30, 2007 11:45 am

do8bo wrote:Well it has all gone horribly wrong :cry:

Decided to give it a go and ran the NASSetup.exe. Now my NSUL2 won't reboot. Anyone got any ideas on how to undo this mess?

What has been altered during the install? I can get the NSLU2 to reboot without the USB HDD attached so it's obviously something on the Unslung area that's been altered.

I'm a real Unix novice so any pointers would be helpful.
Sorry, don't own one, can't help. But this nicely demonstrates why Twonky want to move away from NSLU2 support. It's far to easy for users to toast their units, using what amounts to a hack to get additional software on them.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

do8bo

Post by do8bo » Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:30 pm

Yes, you're right, it's so easy for a conflict, it's no wonder TwonkyVision have given up support for user installs.

For anyone who's interested, I've got it all working again and v4.4.2 does indeed support streaming of videos and pictures through xbox360. It's really good now as the 2 kids have now got their own media players to stream the centrally held movies and pictures to their own tellys.

Here's what I did to get out of the mess:

Fixed the NSLU2 by:
-------------------

- Booted up NSLU2 without disk attached
- Enable telnet from browser interface (had to use admin admin to get in as no 'unslung' disk attached)

- Telnet on to NSLU2 - uid: root, default passwd: uNSLUng
- Attach disk (mine's in USB port 1)
- Mount:

# mount /dev/sdb1 /share/hdd/data
# mount /dev/sdb2 /share/hdd/conf

Followed the 'dirty' strategy as described here:

http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Unslung ... ToUnslung6

As advised, left the following files in place in /share/hdd/data

# quota.user
# quota.user~
# lost+found

but moved ALL others to a temporary directory on the public folder

including hidden files:

# .unslung
# .sdb1root

THEN

# /sbin/unsling -nopw disk1

AND reboot the NSLU2 by pressing the button on the front.

- NSLU2 rebooted with clean 'unsling'
- Home screen says:

uNSLUng status: Unslung to disk1, /dev/sdb1

TWONKY INSTALL
---------------

- took a gamble and ran the NASsetup for 4.4.2 and said: 'only re-install' (no need to deinstall as all clean now)
- rebooted (got that satisfying beep!) in 1 min 20 secs - heh, heh! :)

Twonkymedia 4.4.2 all up and running!!

- set up the content directories
- rescanned content
- entered licence key

Can now stream pictures and videos to Xbox!

Phew! A tough upgrade :)
do8bo