Problem using WMP11 in Vista to access Twonky

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
zenkinz
Problem using WMP11 in Vista to access Twonky

Post by zenkinz » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:20 pm

hi,

i understand that I can use Vista's WMP11 to access media files stored and streamed by Twonky media server.

I can see Twonky media server when I click on start > network, but when I double-click it which triggers WMP11 to run, it doesn't do anything.

did I miss anything?

zenkinz

Post by zenkinz » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:56 am

bump..

wideasleep1

Post by wideasleep1 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:38 am

WMP11 launches, and should display your library..is it not doing that?

zenkinz

Post by zenkinz » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:39 pm

wideasleep1 wrote:WMP11 launches, and should display your library..is it not doing that?
no it doesn't. anything else I need to configure at my vista / wmp?

I have vista enterprise edition, not sure if this is an issue.

wideasleep1

Post by wideasleep1 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 6:35 pm

Does your WMP11 have a library associated with it?(Have you scanned in your library?)

zenkinz

Post by zenkinz » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:11 am

it only scanned media files in my network folders, not via Twonky, but I will try once more.

MikeMusic

Post by MikeMusic » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:35 am

From what I understood the WMP 11 does not have a build-in streaming client for uPnP Servers thus it will not be able to discover your twonky server nor play music from that location.
Instead it can just scan shared folders (via SMB) and add those files to your library.

zenkinz

Post by zenkinz » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:56 am

MikeMusic wrote:From what I understood the WMP 11 does not have a build-in streaming client for uPnP Servers thus it will not be able to discover your twonky server nor play music from that location.
Instead it can just scan shared folders (via SMB) and add those files to your library.
what's SMB?

That's what I am doing today, except that I put that share drive on offline mode, so that I can still access w/o getting connected to the share drive all the time. Its actually working fine for me, but I do want to access photos and videos, not just mp3.

zenkinz

Post by zenkinz » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:57 pm

finally found out that my media player can discover Twonkymedia server (it doesn't appear under Library, but as a separate node) and I can select the albums for playback. but it doesn't seems to be able to show any pictures or videos, just musics.

mmm_ok

Post by mmm_ok » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:40 pm

zenkinz wrote:but it doesn't seems to be able to show any pictures or videos, just musics.
It's not obvious at all... but WMP can view pictures. If you're in WMP, click the tiny down arrow under the 'Library' button along the top. One of the options in the resulting menu is 'Pictures'

It took me a week to find that! LOL

zenkinz

Post by zenkinz » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:56 am

mmm_ok wrote:
zenkinz wrote:but it doesn't seems to be able to show any pictures or videos, just musics.
It's not obvious at all... but WMP can view pictures. If you're in WMP, click the tiny down arrow under the 'Library' button along the top. One of the options in the resulting menu is 'Pictures'

It took me a week to find that! LOL

strange, when I click that place it says 'cannot find any pictures', but I just re-access again and it shows!

however, it doesn't show by folder, how can I have WMP to show it by folder (PS3 has no problem showing folder).

the video is still not showing up btw.

mmm_ok

Post by mmm_ok » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:30 pm

however, it doesn't show by folder, how can I have WMP to show it by folder
That's what I find most annoying about the way WMP interacts with Twonky... WMP seems to ignore the folder structure defined in Twonky and try to determine it's own.

In Twonky server I built my own custom music tree. I know it worked because I can browse that tree on my MusicPal device. But when I use WMP, it just shows WMP's folder nodes, not the ones I've defined in Twonky.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, can I configure WMP to use the folder structure I've defined in WMP?

zenkinz

Post by zenkinz » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:47 am

I dont have problem with musics, at least wmp shows the albums according to the folder I have created in my twonkyserver, but its the videos that it is ignoring (sort by date created and the name of the video instead!).

and photo viewing is also missing. wmp is very flaky!