Twonky on NSLU2 not supported?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
eeebyegum
Twonky on NSLU2 not supported?

Post by eeebyegum » Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:32 am

Hi,

I have been having problems since upgrading to 4.4 on my 'uNSLUng' NSLU2, which is annoying. But the last entry on the thread is disturbing! That Twonky no longer support the NSLU2 version of the server!

See here: http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4253

Please can someone confirm this!

Eeebyegum

andyrich29

Post by andyrich29 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:54 pm

Oh this is just great. Thanks Twonky!

I was just looking on how to download 4.4 as well as I have 4.4.2 which has bugs with ITunes importing.

"An update will be released next week" it said in the e-mail from Christian.

Are you saying it isnt worth it then?

eeebyegum

Strange Decision

Post by eeebyegum » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:36 pm

This is a strange decision given the survey results (as of 11-Dec-07) are:

Which Server do you use?
PC - Windows 22% [ 61 ]
PC - Linux 17% [ 47 ]
MAC 2% [ 8 ]
NAS - Linux 57% [ 158 ]

Anybody seen a post from Twonky to confirm this?

Eeebyegum

TonyM
AV Hardware:NSLU2 Unslung
Roku M1000
Linksys WMLS11B
Netgear MP101

Post by TonyM » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:43 pm

If it is true then it is a bizarre decision :?

I have not seen any public announcement about this - only the text of an email that someone received from Twonky support.

They are still supplying the NSLU2 version of the software and the website lists the NSLU2 as one of the devices on which it is easy to install Twonky vie NAS Setup.

Lets hope its a mistake :roll:

masterplumber

Post by masterplumber » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:10 pm

I emailed Twonky support about this last week. Here's the reply
Hi,

it is true that user installed NAS versions will be discontinued after 4.4.3

Sorry
The TwonkyMedia Team

PacketVideo Germany GmbH
Kurfürstendamm 22, D-10719 Berlin
phone: +49 (30) 88772300
fax: +49 (30) 88772301
internet: http://www.pv.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 103276 B
Geschäftsführer: Joel Espelien
Quite simply an utter pish decision.
there's danger in complacency and comfort in the fight

mshilly

That's a shame...

Post by mshilly » Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:00 am

I have been using Twonky on my NSLU2 for 2 years now and it has been totally stable with MP3s, MP4s (Nero 7 Recoded) and VOBs. I will be keeping a backup of the copy I have on my NSLU2 Unslung Disk.

I have moved up to a file server running Knoppix 4.0.2 with 4x750GB RAID array on it running Twonly 4.4.2. Seems very stable with all the same files and the DSM-320 FW1.09. I will be keeping my NSLU2 for near-line backups and potential Media Server if my Knoppix Server takes a dive.
(2) DSM-320 FW1.09, Twonky 4.4.2 running on Knoppix 4.0.2 3TB RAID 0/Samba/CUPS Storage and Print Server.

TonyM
AV Hardware:NSLU2 Unslung
Roku M1000
Linksys WMLS11B
Netgear MP101

Post by TonyM » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:57 am

Thats very disappointing. They are alienating a large proportion of their customers. :?

Its a pity they haven't had the decency to let their customers know - they have contact details for all the registered copies of the software.

The NSLU2 is so convenient (cheap, reliable, quiet, unobtrusive) but now it is stuck with software that at the moment is excellant and does the job well but will gradually be left behind when technology advances. :(

stupid.illusion

Post by stupid.illusion » Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:59 am

This is a shame. I am very unhappy: I bought a license one month ago to use twonky with my NSLU2 and now they stop supporting it.

Next time I should use a hacked version...

johnnyt

Post by johnnyt » Fri Dec 14, 2007 5:08 pm

The only reason I've been using Twonky this long was because it ran on my low power consuming NLSU2. And it's been an extremely aggravating, frustrating, test of patience, journey this whole time. I'm actually going to look at this as a liberating new day. I'm going to build a small footprint, low power PC and install Tversity on it, which is a far more capable, stable and free server. Yes, it's going to cost me some money for the hardware, but if it gives me peace, it's worth it. Any piece of software, including media servers, shouldn't suck the life out of you.

So long Twonky. It was a bitter-sweet relationship, but I'm off to greener pastures and you won't be missed.

raven

Post by raven » Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:33 pm

Hi,

it is true that user installed NAS versions will be discontinued after 4.4.3

Sorry
The TwonkyMedia Team

PacketVideo Germany GmbH
Kurfürstendamm 22, D-10719 Berlin
phone: +49 (30) 88772300
fax: +49 (30) 88772301
internet: http://www.pv.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Amtsgericht Charlottenburg HRB 103276 B
Geschäftsführer: Joel Espelien
Here I read that it is not just the NSLU which is not supported anymore, it's the whole range of NAS devices with self installed Twonkyversions.

hawk

Post by hawk » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:38 pm

Christian,

Can you confirm that TW suport for the NLSU2 is discontinued. I have been a user for quite a while and very happy with the product.

Can you tell us more on the reasoning about discontinuing the support for the NAS. I think many would like to know.

Hawk
A NLSU2, SL300i, TW 4.4, Vista WMP user.

PS. I cannot get the itunes to work with the NLSU2, I was under the impression that this was possible.
Hawk

NSLU2, Twonky 4.3, SL300i

johandewit

Post by johandewit » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:28 pm

That's a pitty! :evil:
I really like Twonky on the NSLU2.

So what will happen with those who payed for the license to use it on the NSLU2. Do we get our money back or what.

I really hate this kind of shit. I pay for a decent product, which I like and than they tell me I can not use it any more. I better burn my copy of the NSLU2 installer (4.4.1) to DVD.

Perhaps we should start a website, sharing older versions of Twonky, especcialy for the NSLU2 users.

Johan

edutek

Post by edutek » Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:09 pm

Are there other options, other than running Twonky Media Server on the the NSLU2 (before i spend any money on a prod bound for no support)?

Psychodad

works still

Post by Psychodad » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:09 pm

Hi

They just stopped user-support for NAS. As I understood the binarys will be available.

Thats just because of all the noobs not beeing able to install a "normal" software on their NAS stressing twonkys support.

For me thats ok, everyone with minimal linux skills can install it and the others can buy a NAS with twonky preinstalled.

But on the other side I can not really recommend twonky, as it seems not to be developed anymore.

In the last months there were only minor fixes and lots of things do not work for a very long time... e.g:

-itunes playlist do not show
-"selfmade" playlist do only show until a rescann apears
-still not all genres in shoutcast

by

Psychodad
greetings from Zürich

Psychodad

johandewit

Re: works still

Post by johandewit » Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:41 pm

Psychodad wrote: But on the other side I can not really recommend twonky, as it seems not to be developed anymore.

In the last months there were only minor fixes and lots of things do not work for a very long time... e.g:

-itunes playlist do not show
-"selfmade" playlist do only show until a rescann apears
-still not all genres in shoutcast

by

Psychodad
Hi,

So what is the alternative than? Do you have another solution that runs on the NSLU2?

regards,
Johan

Psychodad

pitty

Post by Psychodad » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:53 pm

Hi

(Un)fortunatly TV ist still the best... there are some alternatives eg, mt-daap if you use iTunes as client or slimserver (haven't tested these)

It works for Music with Noxon Clients (they Add their own Internet Radio Stations).

For Video/Fotos I us a Netgear EVA8000 which does not use UpnP, but builds its own database from SMB-Sharees. And it works well.

To me it looks like there are a lot of problems with upnp:

-Implementations of Servers and Clients are different and not allways compatible. If you look at the forum, twonky had a lot of work to fix client-specific problems
-the protocoll itself lacks some features. I do not now the specs, but things like tags for videos or some formats are not supported.

There ist a post in the Netgear-forum where they explain why they dropped upnp-support (earlierer versions had it) because it just could not do what they can do by creating an own database.

But we will see....

Psychodad
greetings from Zürich

Psychodad

Udo

Post by Udo » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:22 am

Sad to hear those bad news.
I had purchased TwonkyMedia because of its outstanding transportability.
Especially the NAS capability is very attractive.
To run a server 7x24 on a 10 Watt consuming gadget is the "greenest" (=non poluting the environment) solution i can imagine today.

I was also attracted by the impression that TwonkyVision would drive the market for upnp-devices forward.
I was not so happy when I heard about the take-over by packet video. As always, we read a lot of announcements saying: "Dear customer, by being taken over by PacketVideo nothing in our market scope will change.
You are on the safe side by buying TwonkyMedia....."

And now this....
We will stop the support of NAS devices.
But the Twonky Media website still says:
(just an extract from http://www.twonkyvision.com/Products/Tw ... index.html)
"Our mature implementation guarantees a short time to market and provides a significant competitive advantage. Through the lifetime of your product our maintenance services assure interoperability with other UPnP-enabled products without the hassle of interoperability tests on your side. TwonkyMedia is UPnP and DLNA Certifiedâ„¢ (on ASUS V6000). PacketVideo also assists device manufacturers through the entire UPnP and DLNA certification process.
End-users may purchase TwonkyMedia run-time versions directly from our online shop.

Integrated client adaptation layer to support special media player capabilities
Available for all operating systems and embedded devices like NAS, STBs and PVRs*
Small footprint and low memory consumption
Stable code base deployed in various products and tested at UPnP and DLNA plugfests "
Whom to believe when full-bodied announcements are made in the media?
I think that another product, that was intended to rule a market segment will be killed by unreproducible business decisions.
Thanks TwonkVision for the fun we had the last years, waiting for implementation of features and stability that where not delivered and have a last drink on a burried product.
R.I.P TwonkyMedia
With my deepest condolence
Udo
UnSLUNg NSLU2 with 250 GB HDD Twonkymedia 4.3 , Levelone WAP-0007 with modified FW and Twonkymedia 4.4b4
ALLnet ALLSOUND, EVA700, NOXON2audio with Speakerbase, XP-PC TwonkyMedia 4.4b4

richardbirks

Post by richardbirks » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:36 pm

Psychodad wrote:Hi

They just stopped user-support for NAS. As I understood the binarys will be available.

Psychodad
So let me get this straight, 60% of their self-installed userbase are running on NAS devices and they're going to ditch future versions and associated support? Seems odd to me, unless it's costing too much to support users who are less than savy with linux on embedded devices.

I downloaded 4.4.3.1 and got it running on my NSLU2 (unslung with 6.10) with hardley any problems at all. Hell of hells - even my Xbox 360 can pull all the media from it, including Internet radio station playlists. So it can't be all bad!

So the question is, do I pay the money and upgrade to the full version knowing that there are no future revisions coming my way, or as someone else mentioned, look for an alternative solution for the NSLU2?

Just my thoughts.

Richard.

janne

Post by janne » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:37 pm

I want my money back NOW

wideasleep1

Post by wideasleep1 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:40 pm

janne wrote:I want my money back NOW
Contact support directly, and request a refund, including the reason for your request. Please report back here with your results.

janne

Post by janne » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:19 pm

done

janne

Post by janne » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:37 pm

janne wrote:done
Well they say my license is to old: 4 month.
I dont agree 4 month in this case is to old since new versions isnt included anymore. As I see it they broke some sort of reasonbly contract/agreement at least.

they sale a not finhised product and act like this to.
bye
nslu2 users can look at mediatomb