!!!Auto Content Detection (working) - PLEASE!!!

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
cliffa
AV Hardware:Server: Qnap TS-409
Clients: PS3, Xbox360, DSM-520, Archos 605, Nokia N95, Kodak EasyShare EX1011 , Momento Picture Frame, NetGem 7600, Sony Vaio WA1.
!!!Auto Content Detection (working) - PLEASE!!!

Post by cliffa » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:01 am

Hello fellow TV users, I'd like to raise the issue of automatic content detection by TV again. This is for me by far and away the most frustrating aspect of TV operation. I've recently swapped out my NAS for a QNAP TS-409, previously having used a LinkStation. The QNAP runs TV & an iTunes server. For listening to music on the PC I primarily use the iTunes client. When Adding and Removing music files on the NAS it is automatically picked up by the iTunes server and these changes are pushed through to the client dynamically within about 15 seconds of the change being made - fantastic. Now what I want is TV to do the same when I add a new video. Once I add the video I want to be able to go downstairs and immediately be able to watch it via my PS3 etc without having to load the browser and trigger a re-scan of the content on the TV config page. Surely this is not TOO MUCH to ask - PLEASE.

Are there any systems for which these feature is working with TV? I've had the debate before about linux kernel versions and versions of inotify - but I think this is such a basic requirement that some conserted effort on PV's part needs to expended to get it working pretty much universally. Again PLEASE.

Caoimhghin

Re: !!!Auto Content Detection (working) - PLEASE!!!

Post by Caoimhghin » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:16 pm

I have TV v4.4.2 installed on a LaCie NAS drive and haven't encountered problems with new files not being available immediately on my PS3. I have noticed that when you edit an existing file you'll end up with two instances showing until you restart the server. I'm assuming you have your scan set for instant update (-1), which I think is default anyway.

cliffa
Clients: PS3, Xbox360, DSM-520, Archos 605, Nokia N95, Kodak EasyShare EX1011 , Momento Picture Frame, NetGem 7600, Sony Vaio WA1.

Post by cliffa » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:45 pm

The problem is the -1 config option won't stick it reverts to the default 60min timed rescan interval - least it never did stick with TV running on the LinkStation and neither on the QNAP. This indicates that the auto detection option is not supported - which considering it is included / built-in on the QNAP is a real dissapointment. The version I'm using at the moment is v4.4.4 RC1.

So for you, you are saying it does work on the LaCie NAS - I'd like to see it working on the QNAP too, I wonder what are the chances....

Caoimhghin

Post by Caoimhghin » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:58 pm

Mine is set to -1 in the TV Administration Pages and it remains set, I've never had it change. I take it you saved the settings when you changed it? Have you ever had v4.4.2 TV installed as this is the latest available on the LaCie? If not it could be a v4.4.4 issue.

TonyM
AV Hardware:NSLU2 Unslung
Roku M1000
Linksys WMLS11B
Netgear MP101

Post by TonyM » Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:37 pm

This started happening with Ver 4.3 and it is very annoying.

If it works correctly in ver 4.4.x then perhaps I should think about upgrading

raquen
AV Hardware:Ubuntu Linux Server 8.0.4
Core Duo2 64Bit
1.6TB Storage Via local LVM Volume
2GB RAM
Twonkey 4.4/ Now v5 Beta

Post by raquen » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:26 am

I have the same issue with Ubuntu. Apparently the -1 autoscan is functional on very few platforms. To make matters worse the set time interval fails to work on my machine entirely. The manual scan skips half of my video library.
I was on 4.4.4 and this was an issue. I did a clean install with v5 beta and nothing has changed.

ideas?

cliffa

Post by cliffa » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:43 pm

At long last auto content detection is now working on the latest v 2.1.0 build 0814 beta firmware release for the QNAP NAS's - grab it here http://forum.qnap.com/