Are You Happy With Your Netgear Hardware?

Everything about the Netgear support, problems, hints...

Are You Happy With You Netgear Hardware?

Yes
70%
No
30%

Total votes: 46

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.
Are You Happy With Your Netgear Hardware?

Post by mgillespie » Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:26 am

Each manufactuers forum, I am posting a sticky poll, so others can get a instant feel if other users are happy with their purchases.

Briain
AV Hardware:Linn Klimax DS
Linn Majik DS-I
Linn Sneaky DS
WDTV Live Hib
Sonos 80

Re: Are You Happy With Your Netgear Hardware?

Post by Briain » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:17 pm

Absolutely delighted! The only snag is that you need to use the super-poussin (Netgear forum user) addon version of TMS5.0.55 as the current one listed on the PV site creates the Twonky database within the Twonky installation directory in the OS partition. As the OS partition is quite small, any more than a few thousand music tracks swells the database to a size which fills the OS partition and 'breaks' the NAS. As there's no space left, you'd be unable to even install the enable SSH access addon in order to delete these files.

The super-poussin addon version of TMS5.0.55 is great and works really well as it installs Twonky in a folder (/c/webroot) on the main partition, but the only downside is that every time you do a TMS database rebuild, it somehow causes Twonky to archive the old database files. Unless you use SSH access to delete these archives, they will eventually grow to a very large size. The issue with size is due to the large number of small files in the TMS5 database, and also due to Netgear for using 16k block size formatting (i.e. everything uses a minimum of 16k). With my 15,000 FLAC files, the database uses 2.7G of disk space; the archives are not much smaller, so without manually deleting them, they would eventually gobble up a lot of disk space.

Bri

bump
AV Hardware:NA

Post by bump » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:49 pm

Fantastic Hardware, superb support. Would always by it again

latitudehopper
AV Hardware:ReadyNAS NVX and PS3

Post by latitudehopper » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:46 am

I am having huge problems with the SP Twonky for my NVX, any help would be greatly appreciated. On a content rescan it gets to certain folders where it will just stop. It was folders with .VOBs in them.... then it started doing them, now it stops again. Now it stops on a VOBs folder and another random movies folder.... It used to work but not I can't work it out at all and it is driving me nuts! Also, last rebuilt it displayed my 'backup' folder as 'ackup' Any ideas?