Does Twonky support native FLAC streaming?

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
ivan2
AV Hardware:SnaZio Net Cinema DVD SZ-1350
QNAP TS-209
Does Twonky support native FLAC streaming?

Post by ivan2 » Thu May 01, 2008 8:07 pm

Hi,

This is my first post :D

I've had a SnaZio SZ-1350 networked DVD player for over a year and have used various UPnP servers (the SnaZio bundled one, wizdXP, something else I can't remember the name of...) on a PC to stream to it, with wizdXP the one I've used most. Most of my music is in FLAC format.

I've just bought a QNAP TS-209 NAS which comes bundled with the Twonky Media Server, with the latest firmware installed having 4.4.4.

But, having transferred all my media files to the QNAP NAS, I can't see any of the FLAC files on the 1350. I can navigate down the music structure, by Album/Artist/Folder etc. and that all displays ok, but when I get to where the tracks should be, all I get is the message 'No content found.' :(

I made a folder with a FLAC file, an MP3 file and a WAV file, and did a rescan. The only file that shows up and can be played is the MP3 one :shock:

I've tried the same thing with the 4.4.4i WindowsXP version of Twonky- got exactly the same result.

So... has any one streamed native FLAC using Twonky? (Note I am not wanting to transcode from FLAC.)

Or does Twonky only stream MP3?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Ivan.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: Does Twonky support native FLAC streaming?

Post by mgillespie » Thu May 01, 2008 8:19 pm

Music: MP3, WMA, WAV, 3GP, M4A, MP4, LPCM, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC, MP2, AC3, MPA, MP1, AIF, ASF
Photo: JPEG, PNG, TIF, BMP, GIF
Video: MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG2-TS, MPEG4, AVI, WMV, VOB, DivX, 3GP, VDR, ASF, MPE, DVR-MS, Xvid, M1V, M4V
Internet Radio: vTuner, Shoutcast
Playlists: WPL, PLS, M3U

Note: the actual formats supported depend on the individual client devices. The current version of TwonkyMedia does not provide transcoding functionality (5.0 Beta provides this)
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

ivan2
AV Hardware:SnaZio Net Cinema DVD SZ-1350
QNAP TS-209

Post by ivan2 » Thu May 01, 2008 9:40 pm

I see. I've tried manually changing the client type on the Twonky conifg Clients/Security page. I can get both WAV and MP3 to show up depending on which client type I choose. But haven't found which client(s) in the list support FLAC :roll:

Does anyone know?

Or is there an override that will allow any file to be streamed?

Cheers,
Ivan.

GregiBoy
AV Hardware:Zensonic Z500 x 2, Ziova CS-505, D-Link DSM-320, iPaq RX3715, TwonkyVision 4.4.3 Windows XP, TVersity

Post by GregiBoy » Thu May 01, 2008 10:01 pm

You can modify the clients.db file which is in the resources directory to pass throug what you want.

This will take a bit of study and trial and error though.

I had to something similar for my Ziova/Zensonic clients quite a while ago.