How To: Install Twonky 5.0.46 on Ubuntu 8.10

Linux and UNIX specific discussions
HornedBeast
AV Hardware:XBOX 360
Linksys Router
Linux, Ubuntu Server 8.04.
How To: Install Twonky 5.0.46 on Ubuntu 8.10

Post by HornedBeast » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:28 pm

Notes: I can only assume this will work on Debian and Ubuntu 7.04+, Server and Desktop editions. Its untested on everything apart from Ubuntu Server 8.10 32bit. This guide also assumes a tiny understanding of networking and IP addresses.

Firstly, if you are running 64bit, you need to install the 32bit library's first. Run this inside a terminal:

Code: Select all

apt-get install ia32-libs
To download the latest stable version of TwonkyMedia, make sure your in the default directory that you started in after logging in (either via SSH or locally) then type the following command.

wget http://www.twonkyforum.com/unsupported/5.0.65/twonkymedia-i386-glibc-2.2.5-full-5.0.65.sh
This invokes the “Web Get” command which downloads the address after the “wget” bit. This should only take a second.

Now to install the server itself. This is the same for both the Stable release and the Beta release as the file names are the same:

sudo chmod 777 twonkymedia-i386-glibc-2.2.5-full-5.0.65.sh
sudo ./twonkymedia-i386-glibc-2.2.5-full-5.0.65.sh
Ignore any errors about not starting properly or permissions denied – we'll fix this ourselves. This will automatically install the software to '/usr/lib/twonkymedia' and attempt to make it start at boot time. However, because TwonkyMedia hasn't been correctly setup to install to Ubuntu or Debian properly we shall have to do some fiddling to fix this ourselves. Its ok though, its pretty simple!

cd /etc/init.d/
sudo chmod 755 twonkyserver
sudo nano twonkyserver
Look for this line inside the file:

echo -n "Starting $TWONKYSRV ... "
$TWONKYSRV -D
rc_status -v
And replace it with:

echo -n "Starting $TWONKYSRV ... "
$TWONKYSRV -D -ip 192.168.1.2
rc_status -v
Changing the IP according to your server setup (this can be found by typing "ifconfig" into a terminal). "Ctrl + O" to write the file ("out") back to the drive and "Ctrl - X" to quit 'nano'. A static IP will be required for this to work however. Some people have had luck without doing the above step, but this ensures it will bind with the correct IP.

Then you need to run the following command.

sudo update-rc.d twonkyserver start 45 2 3 4 5 . stop 55 0 1 6 .
This makes the server start itself upon boot of the machine. You don't even need to login for this to start, it will do it as the machine loads.

Now you can restart the server via:

sudo reboot
And once it has restarted you should be able to visit http://192.168.1.2:9000/ and see your new media server running!

If the server hasn't started automatically on boot, you can manually invoke it by typing this:

sudo /etc/init.d/twonkyserver start
You should then be able to visit the address above to administer your server.

You should be able to set a user name and password for this page too, to stop any prying eyes. However, I hear 5.0.46 doesn't have this option. To do this manually, see this thread here: http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=6041

Let me know if this works OK for anyone!
Last edited by HornedBeast on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:27 am, edited 10 times in total.

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: How To: Install Twonky 4.4.4i on Ubuntu Server 8.04 32bit

Post by mgillespie » Sun May 04, 2008 12:36 pm

Thanks, added this to the FAQ's
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

HornedBeast
Linksys Router

Post by HornedBeast » Mon May 05, 2008 2:15 am

No worries, I assume this works on everything Debian based and is the correct way. It worked for me and many others but I don't know of its secure or anything else - I'm by no means a Linux expert.

Maybe its worth putting it on the FAQ's part of the main site too, as I first looked there rather than looking on the forum's FAQ's.

I also heard murmurings about it working on 64bit if you install ia32bit (or something like that)... but I am yet to test it.

Glad to be of help.

HB.

warti

Post by warti » Mon May 05, 2008 3:07 pm

I also heard murmurings about it working on 64bit if you install ia32bit (or something like that)... but I am yet to test it.
It works! (at least for me :wink: )

regards,
Werner

HornedBeast
Linksys Router

Post by HornedBeast » Tue May 06, 2008 4:06 pm

Can you tell me how you got the 64bit version working and on what OS specifically?

I tried on Ubuntu Server 8.04 64bit but I couldn't get it working - then I heard there was a package you could install to make it work, but I never figured out exactly what that was.

Any help?

HB

warti

Post by warti » Tue May 06, 2008 7:41 pm

Hi,

now I am not longer sure as I read again the topic: Ubuntu 8.x and 64Bit - I am using Debian Etch 64 Bit :oops: .
But from my understanding Ubuntu is similar to Debian.

I did it according to this threat:
http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3850

Regards,
Werner

ben sampson
AV Hardware:PS3
Ubuntu Studio
TwonkyMedia Server Version 4.4.4i

Post by ben sampson » Thu May 08, 2008 9:34 am

Thanks for the instructions. It installed OK but every time I restart the PC the PC and go to information the content is missing. I have to rescan to add it again. Any Ideas why this would be happening? The media is on /media/MEDIA/music

warti

Post by warti » Sat May 10, 2008 10:26 am

Any Ideas why this would be happening?
* Linux is case sensitive
* Access rights are wrong: check with "ls -al"
* ?

Also check the error log of twonky ...

wquiles
AV Hardware:Tyan S2895, 2x Opteron 290, 8GB RAM, RAID0 and RAID5 arrays

Post by wquiles » Tue May 27, 2008 8:53 pm

warti wrote:Hi,

now I am not longer sure as I read again the topic: Ubuntu 8.x and 64Bit - I am using Debian Etch 64 Bit :oops: .
But from my understanding Ubuntu is similar to Debian.

I did it according to this threat:
http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3850

Regards,
Werner
I just wanted to say: thanks much for this post!

I am running Ubuntu 8.04 Server, AMD 64-bit (running on two Opteron 290 dual-core rpocessors with 8GB RAM), and following the steps here (I had ia32-libs), I am now able to run Twonky Server in my box. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Question: I had to reboot my box twice (first time it hanged and I had to do the Ctrl-Alt-Del -> after the second reboot is is working perfectly). Is there a way to do this install without rebooting the box?

Will

HornedBeast
Linksys Router

Thanks for the Thanks...

Post by HornedBeast » Wed May 28, 2008 3:16 pm

No problem on the guide! Just wish Twonky was a touch more reliable.

All of my software media players read all of my tags correctly (and they are all fixed with 2.3 id tags and the such), but Twonky sometimes doesn't read them all.

Anyway...

I did not have to restart, ever, during my method (stated in OP) - I just performed all the steps via SSH (remote terminal basically). Not sure what happened there... maybe one of those illusive Linux bugs.

I should really update the first post with the new version of Twonky (although I think the file names and links are the same) and the 64bit section too.

Cheers to all that are helping. This should really get put on the FAQ part of the main site!

Andy

badbone
AV Hardware:none

Re: How To: Install Twonky 4.4.5 or Beta on Ubuntu Server 8.04

Post by badbone » Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:59 am

well like a blind man at an orgy i was going to feel my way around...
I'm a few days into my ubuntu trial and I've been trying to follow the steps in the guide and I am having a few issues.
When i install the twonkyserver i get the following:
Should say i have also tried 1st line of code from the guide and it hasn't helped.

jb@laptop:~$ sudo chmod +x twonkymedia-i386-glibc-2.2.5.sh
jb@laptop:~$ sudo ./twonkymedia-i386-glibc-2.2.5.sh
./
./RevisionHistory
tar: Skipping to next header
gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--crc error
gzip: stdin: invalid compressed data--length error
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
sed: can't read /usr/local/TwonkyVision/twonkymedia.sh: No such file or directory
cp: cannot stat `/usr/local/TwonkyVision/twonkymedia.sh': No such file or directory
./twonkymedia-i386-glibc-2.2.5.sh: line 161: chkconfig: command not found
Starting server ...
./twonkymedia-i386-glibc-2.2.5.sh: line 167: /usr/local/TwonkyVision/twonkymedia.sh: No such file or directory
Installation finished
I've downloaded the install twice so i dont think there is a problem with the install file but the rest is beyond me at this stage.
I check under the /etc/init.d/ and there is no twonkyserver file.

There is a dir under /usr/local/twonkyvision but there is only the install.log and the revision history log.

Any ideas are appreciated, hopefully the answer isn't too basic and if its sorry folks. :oops:
Might be an idea to add the txt of the errors that are expect to appear as part of this guide.

Thanks again.

HornedBeast
Linksys Router

Post by HornedBeast » Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:27 pm

I just tried re-installing Twonky Trial on a friends server and I got the same problem. Seems like the Linux installer for 4.5 is broken - and as the version 5 beta doesn't list your music by Artists and Album on the Xbox 360 (Strange regression).

Anyone got any idea why it doesn't work or when it will be fixed!?!?!

MarkyMarc
AV Hardware:a

Post by MarkyMarc » Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:11 am

I have the same problem. Anyone found a fix yet?

Tried with version 4.4.4 and installs fine

HornedBeast
Linksys Router

Re: How To: Install Twonky 5.0.46 on Ubuntu 8.10

Post by HornedBeast » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:30 am

Bump.

I have revised the original post to reflect recent changes with TwonkyMedia, updated all the links and checked all the code.

It all works fine again.

Thanks to all that helped out!

HB

P.S. Maybe this guide should go in the FAQ section of the main site?? It seems to be fairly sought after.

lowfi
AV Hardware:xbox360, apple tv

Post by lowfi » Thu May 28, 2009 6:08 pm

i feel really stupid but....

sudo chmod 777 twonkymedia-i386-glibc-2.2.5-full-5.0.61-20090403.sh 
sudo ./twonkymedia-i386-glibc-2.2.5-full-5.0.61-20090403.sh 
sudo: unable to execute ./twonkymedia-i386-glibc-2.2.5-full-5.0.61-20090403.sh: No such file or directory
why? I have downloaded the sh several times now :S

DutchPaul
AV Hardware:Ubuntu

Post by DutchPaul » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:01 am

Hi,

After following the guide I still had some trouble getting the mediaserver to start automatically after a boot.
I solved this by doing the following:

Ubuntu:

In System --> Preferences --> Startup Applications Preferences
Added 2 entries for the twonkymediaserver
the first one has the command:
" sudo /etc/init.d/twonkyserver stop"
the second has has the command:
" sudo /etc/init.d/twonkyserver start"

(Note: Before sudo it needs 4 spaces, for some reason it doesnt seem to work without them (?)"

After that the mediaserver was working fine after the reboot.
Hope it helps :-)

declank

Post by declank » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:12 pm

Thanks very much for writing this thread as its been a vital page for getting things working properly.

I've tried doing the same with the latest version twonkymedia-i386-glibc-2.2.5-full-5.0.68.sh, but getting an error when entering line for auto start. I'm no linux expert, so could someone please tell me how I need to change the below line?

sudo update-rc.d twonkyserver start 45 2 3 4 5 . stop 55 0 1 6 . (see below error)

Many thanks in advance. Declan

alysona
AV Hardware:GKL'CFKK

Post by alysona » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:23 am

Ubuntu desktop loads automatically when i start my pc? I have installed Ubuntu Server 8 and when i start my pc it brings me the command prompt. I have downloaded and installed Ubuntu desktop. From there I have done 77 updates! All went successfully!