Sony GigaJuke NAS-50HDE does not work with QNAP media server

General discussion about the media server. Feature requests. Hints, tips and tricks.
jtnn60

Post by jtnn60 » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:49 pm

I have recently purchased the Sony GigaJuke NAS-50HDE for the sole purpose of playing the music held on my QNAP TS-101 network attached storage device.
However, the Sony GigaJuke does not display the QNAP NAS on its list of available network devices.

The QNAP NAS has the latest version of the firmware installed which includes TwonkyMedia v4.4.2.
The Sony GigaJuke can certainly 'see' the QNAP NAS as I can copy music tracks from a NAS shared drive to the GigaJuke's hard disk.

The main TwonkyVision site lists theSony GigaJuke NAS-CZ1 as a supported client for TwonkyMedia. Also, the Sony site mentions that the Sony GigaJuke NAS-50HDE supports the DLNA Home Networked Device Interoperability Guidelines v1.0.

When I go into the "client security page" in the TwonkyMedia admin screen, I see the Sony's IP address listed as "Generic Reciever" proving some kind of communication has happened.

On the TwonkyVision forum, I see someone else had exactly the same issue some six months ago but never got a reply.

I would like to test that the TwonkyMedia software is setup correctly using another client, but I do not have any other hardware and I cannot find any software I could run on my laptop that supports DLNA v1.0 (which I find very strange given the plethora of server products!).

Can anyone help me fix this problem! :cry:
Dr John

cliffa
AV Hardware:Server: Qnap TS-409
Clients: PS3, Xbox360, DSM-520, Archos 605, Nokia N95, Kodak EasyShare EX1011 , Momento Picture Frame, NetGem 7600, Sony Vaio WA1.

Post by cliffa » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:43 pm

Try manually setting te client type to Sony VGF-WA1.

jtnn60

Nothing works

Post by jtnn60 » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:24 pm

cliffa wrote:Try manually setting the client type to Sony VGF-WA1.
I have now tried every Sony setting available on TwonkyMedia's client settings screen. I also tried lots of other clients settings as well like "Generic DLNA v1.0" but none of these worked. I also tried installing TwonkyMedia on my laptop and trying out all the settings on that too. Nothing worked.

However, when I installed On2Share media server on my laptop, the Sony GigaJuke immediately displays "On2Share" as an available server, although ti would not actually play the music.

So the problem seems to be with TwonkyMedia Server.
Last edited by jtnn60 on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr John

mzitz

Post by mzitz » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:33 pm

Just in terms of curiusity - have you tried accessing your files on the QNAP via On2Share and e.g. WinAmp?
Works fine for me (except some issues arround playlists - see other posts).

If you get On2Share to work with QNNAP it's most likely not Twonky as a whole - more likely some client settings - e.g. use CTT DLNA 1.5 - works at least for Zyxel.

Hope you got some fresh ideas.

mzitz

Post by mzitz » Tue Dec 25, 2007 11:34 pm

Just in terms of curiosity - have you tried accessing your files on the QNAP via On2Share and e.g. WinAmp?
Works fine for me (except some issues arround playlists - see other posts).

If you get On2Share to work with QNNAP it's most likely not Twonky as a whole - more likely some client settings - e.g. use CTT DLNA 1.5 - works at least for Zyxel.

Hope you got some fresh ideas.

jtnn60

Post by jtnn60 » Thu Jan 03, 2008 10:56 pm

After hours of tinkering with TwonkyVision settings in an attempt to have the Sony NAS-50HDE to recognize its existence, I gave up.

The Sony failed to connect to both my QNAP TS-101 running TwonkyVision or my laptop running either TwonkyVision or On2Share. Also the Sony failed to copy mp3 files reliably from a network share onto its own internal hard disk. All this leads me to the conclusion that the Sony is clearly a prototype, let loose on an unsuspecting public who will have no technical knowledge to ascertain the product failings in a timely manner.

Fortunately Currys gave me a full refund for the Sony, so at least I do not have to put up with the product's shortcomings :D

I have now got a Pinnicle SoundBridge Home (aka Roku) which works just fine with TwonkyVision (although initial setup is a pain as the SoundBridge needs two firmware upgrades before it will connect to a secure wireless network!!).
Dr John

Drohne

Re: Sony GigaJuke NAS-50HDE does not work with QNAP media server

Post by Drohne » Mon May 05, 2008 9:03 am

Hi,
Just for information. With TwonkyVision Version 4.4.4 it works fine.

Regards

tmichels
AV Hardware:server:
running media server on linux

clients:
sony ps3
sony wa1

Re: Sony GigaJuke NAS-50HDE does not work with QNAP media server

Post by tmichels » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:26 pm

Hi,

I used to run the TwonkyVision Version 4.4.6 on my linux box and no issues to connect with my Sony WA1 to it.
Now, I upgraded to version 5.0.46 and my Sony WA1 can see it, but fails to connect to it.

I tried the manual client setup by entering the MAC address etc. Did not work.
So, TwonlyMedia lost the magic sauce for my WA1 client.

Thore