xbox 360 'dropping' parts of mp3s

darkmark07
xbox 360 'dropping' parts of mp3s

Post by darkmark07 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:19 pm

Hi there.

I'm hoping someone can help me - I'm trying to stream mp3s to my xbox 360. Unfortunately there are frequent drops of up to several minutes - during which time the xbox thinks it's still playing the media.

500Gb Buffalo drivestation, unslung SLUG and TwonkyMedia 4.4 connected to a Netgear DG834 router - and the xbox connected wirelessly to that.

Media always streamed OK from my Win XP box - no other obvious problems with the wireless network...

Any ideas? Twonky media is pretty much in its default state - I have no problems accessing the media lists - it just doesn't play well once it's selected!

Thanks in advance,

Mark

tafsen

Post by tafsen » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:38 pm

I have the same problem aswell :(
It's really anoying =\

darkmark07

Post by darkmark07 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:26 pm

I have discovered that if you skip to the end of the track and then back again it usually plays OK for a while - but this is not really what I signed up for!

Is anyone else managing to get TM to stream seamlessly to their 360 using the same setup? I'm wondering whether (as other posts are suggesting) that there is an issue with the router - I think that I'm running the latest router firmware, but will check that out.

I know that there are some (undocumented) uPnP issues with the DG834 and I'm wondering whether this is causing the problem.

Any other feedback?

tafsen

Post by tafsen » Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:53 pm

Isn't any of the people behind twonkyvision reading the forum? The lack of feedback is realy anyoing.

techfixer

Re: xbox 360 'dropping' parts of mp3s

Post by techfixer » Wed May 14, 2008 9:32 pm

There seems to be a problem streaming media from linux based devices to an XBOX 360 over wireless networks. I spent months trying to get to the bottom of the problem and I tried tweaking network settings (MTU size etc), I tried 4 different NAS devices, I tried wireless game adapters the official XBOX 360 WIFI adapter; all failed in the same way.

Here is what I found with different network connections and Twonky host platforms connecting to an XBOX 360:

Code: Select all

Twonky Platform   WIFI Connection    Wired Connection    Homeplug (ring main) Connection
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Linux             FAILS              OK                  OK	
Windows           OK                 OK                  OK
Video seems to stream OK in all scenarios though - so I don't know whether it is a buffering or error correction problem or whether the Microsoft network stack on the XBOX 360 is not fully compatible with Linux based network stacks.

Maybe somebody from Twonky support might have some more ideas given my findings???
-----------------------------------
TwonkyMedia v4.4
NSLU2 (uNSLUng 6.8-beta)
XBOX360

techfixer

Post by techfixer » Wed May 14, 2008 9:35 pm

I forgot to mention all configurations work with the PS3 - which further suggests that it is a problem with the Microsoft network stack.
-----------------------------------
TwonkyMedia v4.4
NSLU2 (uNSLUng 6.8-beta)
XBOX360

joewalch

Post by joewalch » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:44 pm

I have the same problem with WIndows Home Server and the XBOX 360. Has anyone at Twonky addressed this yet?