Lacie Ethernet Big Disk serving Movies to iTunes?

Other OS or NAS discussions
tatejones
AV Hardware:LaCie Ethernet Big Disk with iTunes 7.7
Lacie Ethernet Big Disk serving Movies to iTunes?

Post by tatejones » Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:45 pm

After many hours of frustration I have been unsuccessful at sharing movies (H.264 and MPEG4 (CBR)) from the Media server to iTunes. I have followed the correct firm update process from 1.0.1 to 1.1.2.1 and waited many days for technical responses from Lacie. I have also performed a Twonky update from Lacie console with the file TwonkyServer_Web_admin-1.0.0.signed.

For testing purposes I have created a directory with 12 mp3s and 2 mp4s and restricted the Twonky (4.4.2) to scan this directory only. However, iTunes 7.7 continues to find all my mp3s (7000+). Even though the Twonky logs only show the restricted set of files. In iTunes under "Shared" I select the "EDMini" and all 7000+ mp3s are display. I can play them, however "Movies" (within EDMini) is empty.

Which system is actually serving the content to iTunes? The Lacie log reports. Aug 6 21:23:00 mt-daapd[12280]: Starting web server from /usr/share/mt-daapd/admin-root on port 3689 Aug 6 21:23:00 mt-daapd[12280]: Serving 7085 songs. Startup complete in 53 seconds. iTunes listens on port 3689 and Twonky is on 9000.

Has anyone been successful at serving MP4s from the Media Server to iTunes? I get the impression that Twonky is not compatible with iTunes and Lacie media server has implemented DAAP (which is obviously for audio only) that has no relationship to Twonky.

tsparc
AV Hardware:Lacie Ethernet Big Disk
PS3
Archos 605 WiFi

Re: Lacie Ethernet Big Disk serving Movies to iTunes?

Post by tsparc » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:51 am

I also have an EBD. I asked Lacie for their latest Twonky server and recieved 4.4.4 - this in not included in their latest firmware patch. This fixed a host of streaming issues I was having with my PS3.

I also have a Roku Soundbridge which broke with Twonky 4.4.4 - BUT, an update for the Roku meant to fix iTunes 7.7 issues also made it work with 4.4.4 - so I'm thinking there is something in 4.4.4 and latest iTunes that is similar.. Worth a try.

If you haven't already ask Lacie for the seperate Twonky admin page plug-in. This lets you administer the Twonky media server seperately on your EBD. Hope this was useful.

tatejones

Post by tatejones » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:14 am

Thanks. I have requested Lacie to send me a 4.4.4 version of Twonky. Hopefully this will resolve the iTunes 7.7 with movies. I have the Twonky plug-in, however it hasn't worked terribly well with the Lacie admin console. In the Twonky admin page I have requested a limited set of media, however the daap server continues to server all media found on the disk. Even after requesting a rebuild of the media database.

shiraishi
AV Hardware:Lacie EBD
PS3
XBOX 360

Post by shiraishi » Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:44 am

ve the same problem can some one email me the TwonkyServer_Web_admin patch so I can manualy adjust twonky for PS3. I already have the 4.4.4 patch.

Tanks

tatejones

Post by tatejones » Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:56 pm

I spoke to Lacie yesterday and finally confirmed suspicions. Summary..

1.It does not matter which directory or restriction you place on content location or type within the Lacie or Twonky administration console, ALL music is shared to iTunes.

2. No Movie support for iTunes. After numerous attempts and patches this feature is totally missing. After many hours of investigation I cannot see how this product was ever going to be able to share movies with iTunes. The Lacie console only shares music on 3689 and the Twonky server is only sharing media on port 9000. The Lacie shares its music content to iTunes using the open source product called http://www.fireflymediaserver.org/ Twonky and Lacie are totally different products when it comes to media sharing to iTunes.

Unless iTunes becomes a UPnP AV client or FireFly Media Server supports movies (then Lacie updates their firmware) there is no chance of sharing movies to iTunes.

The sad thing about this experience with Lacie was is it took 17 messages backwards and forwards before I decided to get frustrated and escalate the issue. Finally someone in Lacie that knew something about their product called me and confirmed my suspicions.

cpmoure
AV Hardware:lacie ethernet minidisk 1.1.2.1 twonkymedia

Post by cpmoure » Sun May 10, 2009 7:59 pm

Could somebody send me this file: TwonkyServer_Web_admin patch.
I would like to access twonkymedia configuration page.

Thank you.

Regards,

EDIT: Don't need it anymore, thanks to tatejones. Thank you!