Fails to start on Linkstation Live after upgrade to 4.4.9

Other OS or NAS discussions
teamonkey
AV Hardware:Buffalo Linkstaton Live, Xbox360, PS3
Fails to start on Linkstation Live after upgrade to 4.4.9

Post by teamonkey » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:42 pm

Hi

I tried to upgrade Twonky on my Linkstation Live to 4.4.9 this morning but with no success. When the Linkstation starts the Twonkymedia UPnP device doesn't show up in My Network Places as it did before and I can't get to the web configuration page. If I telnet in to the device and run ps I get this:

Code: Select all

root@MINTCHOCCHIP:~# ps | grep twonky
30006 root        464 S   /mnt/disk1/share/twonky/twonkymedia
30958 root            Z   [twonkymediaserv]
30987 root        512 S   grep twonky
root@MINTCHOCCHIP:~#
I think the "Z" means that it's a zombie process?

If I kill the server and start it from the command line I get this:

root@LINKSTATION:~# /mnt/disk1/share/twonky/twonkymedia
root@LINKSTATION:~# TwonkyMedia Version 4.4.9
LOG_SYSTEM: reading ini file: "/mnt/disk1/share/twonky/twonkyvision-mediaserver.
ini".
These output lines repeat every few seconds.

I tried to install the upgrade twice, but with the same results. Firstly I zipped up the (working) install directory as a backup. Then I shut down twonky, copied the files from twonkymedia-linkstation-live-20081002.zip over the install directory, then rebooted the Linkstation. When that didn't work I shut down the server, copied back the backup twonky directory and rebooted - it worked as it did before I started the upgrade. The second time I used the SetupNAS utility, which fails in the same way as before. I've also tried copying across the old twonkyvision-mediaserver.ini, but that doesn't seem to work either.

Like I say, I can roll back to my backup version, but that version doesn't let me view my video files on my PS3.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

[EDIT] I found the problem - I hadn't deleted the twonkymedia.db. After I did that and rebooted, the database rebuilt itself, the UPnP service started and I could watch videos on my PS3.
Last edited by teamonkey on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeIsotech

Re: Fails to start on Linkstation Live after upgrade [FIXED]

Post by MikeIsotech » Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:20 pm

I'm glad that you've got it working as I'm having the same problem. I tried deleting the twonkymedia.db and rebooting the linkstation but I still end up with a zombie process. I'm guessing that I didn't follow the exact same steps as you so would it be possible for you to give a step-by-step guide to help me? I'm no great linux expert so please make it as simple as possible :lol: Thanks in anticipation.

pob
AV Hardware:Linkstation Live, PS3

Post by pob » Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:23 pm

I also get the same problem with the new version for the LinkStation Live. I've had to reinstall an older version for now :-(

teamonkey

Post by teamonkey » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:10 am

After I deleted the database file and rebooted the zombie process was still there for a while (several minutes) and was then replaced with a proper process. I guess it's rebuilding the database. If I didn't delete the database it would be stuck in that state for hours instead of minutes.

MikeIsotech

Post by MikeIsotech » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:53 pm

I think I'm doing the same as you but still have the zombie process even after waiting a long time

The steps I'm taking are:

cd /mnt/disk1/share/twonky
kill -9 <twonky media pid>
rm -r twonkymedia.db
./twonkymedia

At this point I have the zombie server process, which never goes away :-(

When you say that you rebooted, did you mean twonky or the linkstation?

teamonkey

Post by teamonkey » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:35 pm

MikeIsotech wrote:I think I'm doing the same as you but still have the zombie process even after waiting a long time

The steps I'm taking are:

cd /mnt/disk1/share/twonky
kill -9 <twonky media pid>
rm -r twonkymedia.db
./twonkymedia

At this point I have the zombie server process, which never goes away :-(

When you say that you rebooted, did you mean twonky or the linkstation?
I rebooted the linkstation with the reboot command. It did take a long time for the zombie process to be replaced. I got frustrated after starting it, went to make some lunch, then when I came back the zombie had disappeared and another "twonkymediaserver" process had started properly. Less than 20 minutes, I think, but as I said earlier, without deleting the database I waited hours for it to sort itself out.

On reflection, there are a few other things I did that might have an effect. I don't know if they do or not, but they might be worth trying.

I used /mnt/disk1/share/twonky/twonkymedia to start the process instead of ./twonkymedia.

The way I installed the version that eventually worked was to get the working version (4.4.3) and use SetupNAS.exe to overwrite it (having made a backup first).

I fiddled with the ownership of the twonky files using chmod and chgrp. If you copy files to the drive in Windows Explorer they are set to nobody/nogroup. I set them to root/root. Shouldn't make a difference as the process runs as root anyway, but hey.

I merged the .ini files together. I think there was one extra parameter in the blank 4.4.9 .ini file that didn't exist in my existing .ini from 4.4.3 (can't remember what it was offhand, but it was the last one in the file). I just took the contents of the 4.4.3 .ini file and added in that missing parameter. It's an empty parameter so it probably makes no difference.

It's hard to tell which (if any) of those made the difference as the server always appeared to be broken at the start.

pob

Post by pob » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:45 pm

I've followed all the advice in this thread but I still can't get version 4.4.9 to run correctly.

In the telnet window after executing twonky, I keep getting:

TwonkyMedia Version 4.4.9
LOG_SYSTEM: reading ini file: "/mnt/disk1/share/twonky/twonkyvision-mediaserver.
ini".
Repeated every 2-3 seconds. I've tried deleting the .db directory and tried many reboots. I've left the system running for over 3 hours but the Zombie process still exists. If I reinstall 4.4.6 it works straight away.

pob

Re: Fails to start on Linkstation Live after upgrade to 4.4.9

Post by pob » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:26 pm

UPDATE: Having left the system for even longer, it now appears to be working. The repeated display in the Telnet window has stopped and the PS3 access and Web access are functioning. Very wierd!

UPDATE2: Having accessed the configuration screen to re-enter my settings I had to restart the server. The repeating messages and zombie process are now back. I shall leave it running over night and see if it is working when I return from work.

meimeiriver
AV Hardware:TwonkyVision UPnP AV Media Server

Post by meimeiriver » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:52 pm

pob wrote:UPDATE: Having left the system for even longer, it now appears to be working. The repeated display in the Telnet window has stopped and the PS3 access and Web access are functioning. Very wierd!

UPDATE2: Having accessed the configuration screen to re-enter my settings I had to restart the server. The repeating messages and zombie process are now back. I shall leave it running over night and see if it is working when I return from work.
Pardon my French, but letting it restart a day or so untill it accidentally doesn't segfault is not what I would call a solution. This topic really shouldn't be set to "FIXED".
Gorgeous, delicious, deculture!

pob

Post by pob » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:57 pm

meimeiriver wrote: Pardon my French, but letting it restart a day or so untill it accidentally doesn't segfault is not what I would call a solution. This topic really shouldn't be set to "FIXED".
I never said it was fixed!

Anyway further to update2 above, the Zombie process is still present after about 13 hours so nothing is fixed :-(

errator
AV Hardware:Linkstation Live
Popcorn Hour

Post by errator » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:29 pm

Hi,

i have the same problem. I bought Twonky and now i have this problem on startup. I left the server rebuild the mediathek over night an today in the morning i could use the server. now i started to rescan the mediathek and since then i have the problem again.

I am a little bit confused that there is no comment from an official. it seems that this is a general problem. where can i find older versions of twonky that work?

thx Mario

EDIT: now i can access the server but now my registration key dissapeard. all the settings dissappeared :(

aidanohagan
AV Hardware:loadsastuff

Post by aidanohagan » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:04 am

Hi folks, any progress on this issue?
I'm getting the same prob on a new lslive and have tried everything suggested.
I get the same problem whether I start manually or through init.d. Strangely it did work on first install but has consistently failled since the first reboot.
any pointers to an older Nas install package? Don't make me use pcast ;)

nutts
AV Hardware:Denon 4308
Pioneer BDP LX70A
2TB Icybox (IB-NAS4220-B)
Twonky 4.46
XBOX 360 Elite (x2)
Netgear MP101

Post by nutts » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:23 am

aidanohagan
AV Hardware:loadsastuff

Post by aidanohagan » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:18 am

thanks - can get at the older versions on the other pages but was looking for the easy NAS installer for 4.4.6 (or older). doesnt seem to be on the site anywhere. Manual install here i come. now how do you spell VI......

Lardspice

Post by Lardspice » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:56 pm

Hi,

Has anybody found a solution to this yet? I get the same problem on my Terastation.

Thanks

Lard

DocSnyd3r
AV Hardware:PS3, Buffalo Linkstation Pro

Post by DocSnyd3r » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:58 pm

Hi,
on my Linkstation Pro it won't even start. I geht this error message:

./twonkymediaserver: /lib/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_3.5' not found (required by ./twonkymediaserver)
./twonkymediaserver: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by ./twonkymediaserver)
./twonkymediaserver: /lib/libpthread.so.0: version `GLIBC_2.4' not found (required by ./twonkymediaserver)
I did a apt-get upgrade && apt-get dist-upgrade but this didn't fix it. Currently I have 4.4.5 installed and working. Maybe someone can upload the missing files?

pele
AV Hardware:lspro 500

Post by pele » Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:41 am

has anyone had any luck with this version? or have a url to an older version that doesnt suffer from this same problem

swquin
AV Hardware:Linkstaion Pro, Xbox, Netgear MP101

Post by swquin » Sat Nov 01, 2008 7:58 pm

Anyone made progress on this? I seem to have wasted several hours getting no where! Can anyone suggest an alternative to Twonky?

moremadness2001
AV Hardware:Buffalo Linkstation Live + PS3

Post by moremadness2001 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:20 am

Come on Twonky Techs answer the problem!!! If the problem was just a small bug I can understand your silence but you have paying customers here with software not even starting.

TWONKY TECHS ANSWER NOW!

drpreece
AV Hardware:Buffalo TS-LIVE
Denon 4306
Denon S52
Sony PS3
Netgear EVA8000

Post by drpreece » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:18 pm

Patience is a virtue - and evidently what Twonky wants you to have TONS of after this upgrade.

I just installed 4.4.9 on my TS-LIVE and it takes over an hour for the Twonky server to start / re-start. Watching the ps results shows the twonkymediaserver process as a Zombie process (Z), then periodically a Running process (R). You can't do anything until it starts and is at (S).

WOW. So if you make a minor configuration change, go do something else for a while if you want to monitor the result on your client device. Quite frankly, this sucks. Twonky isn't going to make any new friends if this situation isn't corrected soon.

My previous versions of Twonky never had this problem. The only reason I upgraded was for the PS3 capability. Perhaps I should revert to an older version - I could probably do it in less time than my next restart will take on version 4.4.9.

Stangs55
AV Hardware:Buffalo NAS 1 TB Linkstation Live
PS3, 360
PC with Vista Ultimate

Post by Stangs55 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 1:30 am

Add me to the list of identical problems described here on my Linkstation Pro. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

This is ridiculous. I own 3 separate Twonky keys and now nothing works and Twonky remains silent.

AT LEAST offer me a way to download 4.4.6 again so that I can run that!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone know the link for that?!!!???

MikeIsotech

Post by MikeIsotech » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:31 pm

Stangs55 wrote:Add me to the list of identical problems described here on my Linkstation Pro. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

This is ridiculous. I own 3 separate Twonky keys and now nothing works and Twonky remains silent.

AT LEAST offer me a way to download 4.4.6 again so that I can run that!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyone know the link for that?!!!???
I agree - if Twonky aren't going to fix this they could at least give us a chance to go back to a known good working version. I don't have a copy of the previous release because I assumed Twonky would only ship a quality product or at least fix the bugs when they arise. This silence from them is maddening and it's starting to make wonder what I've bought. I've already advised a couple of friends not to buy it - poor quality will kill the product in the end

moremadness2001
AV Hardware:Buffalo Linkstation Live + PS3

Post by moremadness2001 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:28 pm

This is the official response from Twonky (The bunch of cheeky tw@s!)
Hi,

we are sorry, but we no longer support the NAS versions of the server that need to be installed by the end-user. Our media server is however available pre-installed on a growing number of NAS devices.

If you think you can manage the installation by yourself, you can download NAS versions from http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/Tw ... cians.html

But please note that we can't give any support for the NAS versions, however you can find helpful people in the forum athttp://www.twonkyforum.com/

For software-updates for your NAS please directly contact the vendor of your NAS.

Thanks
The TwonkyMedia Team

2900corrado
AV Hardware:Linkstation Live

Post by 2900corrado » Wed Nov 05, 2008 3:10 pm

Hi - I am a new forum member, I found the forum after searching for answers to my Twonky installation problem on my new Buffalo Linkstation Live. I have exactly the same problems listed here so I'd like to add a few other comments:

i) I have stopped and started the mediaserver about 40 times now at many different times (i.e. sometimes after restarting the LS, sometimes when the LS has been running a while) and of these attempts it has started successfully 3 times, yet I can find no correlation to why it start sometimes and not others.
ii) Contrary to some posts here I find that if the server does not start immediately (i.e. a Z process is observed) then it doesn't matter how long I leave the Z process running the server never starts (I do however observer that the PID of the Z process constantly changes).
ii) Between times when the server has worked I have not changed any files or any permissions, therefore this leads me to believe that there may be another (non-Twonky) process that somehow affects (stops) the Twonkyserver from starting. This could be a vanilla Linkstation process, however my knowledge of LINUX and especially the Linkstation application is very limited so I am now stuck.
iv) Just to note that on my 3rd attempt to start the server (about 3 weeks ago) it worked, I then paid Twonky the license fee, registered the server and since then it's only started up 2 times. Does anyone know how I can reclaim my license fee because it seems that Twonky are not going to resolve this issue?

Finally, like the other posts I would like a link to an older version that works, however I have the LS for use with a PS3 so if an older version doesn't work with the PS3 then all this is in vain. Does anyone else have an older version of this running with a PS3?

Cheers!

esox
AV Hardware:Kurobox-HG, Kurobox-pro, MP101, Noxon2

Post by esox » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:29 pm

Hi,
the old versions are still available for download.
The linkstation pro version can be found under http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/4. ... 080730.zip
If you need a different device/architecture, just replace the middle part of the filename with something that fits your needs. Have a look at http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/Tw ... cians.html for the naming.

Hope that helps,
Cheers

MikeIsotech

Post by MikeIsotech » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:37 am

esox wrote:Hi,
the old versions are still available for download.
The linkstation pro version can be found under http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/4. ... 080730.zip
If you need a different device/architecture, just replace the middle part of the filename with something that fits your needs. Have a look at http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/Tw ... cians.html for the naming.

Hope that helps,
Cheers
Thanks esox - that's just what I needed :D

I think this information should be in a sticky - there have been many people asking for it thanks to the unreliabilty of 4.4.9

duffjp

Post by duffjp » Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:01 pm

moremadness2001 wrote:This is the official response from Twonky (The bunch of cheeky tw@s!)
Hi,

we are sorry, but we no longer support the NAS versions of the server that need to be installed by the end-user. Our media server is however available pre-installed on a growing number of NAS devices.

If you think you can manage the installation by yourself, you can download NAS versions from http://www.twonkyvision.com/Download/Tw ... cians.html

But please note that we can't give any support for the NAS versions, however you can find helpful people in the forum athttp://www.twonkyforum.com/

For software-updates for your NAS please directly contact the vendor of your NAS.

Thanks
The TwonkyMedia Team
Hi moremadness,

Did Twonky Support offer up if they are going to continue producing the software for user install on NAS devices? I am looking for a new NAS and the ReadyNAS DUO seems to do exactly what I need, so long as I can install Twonky. If they keep producing the software, at least I will most likely be able to run a stable version, if not the most up to date one. Then when a new version that is stable comes out I can keep up to date that way.

If they aren't going to even produce the software, I think I will have to go for a QNAP NAS.

Cheers,

Jon.