Please recommend a NAS for TwonkyMedia

Other OS or NAS discussions
neurokrash
Please recommend a NAS for TwonkyMedia

Post by neurokrash » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:47 am

Greetings,

I'm thinking of shutting down my power hungry server and replacing it with a NAS unit that has TwonkyMedia. Can anyone help me determine which one to buy?

Some of my priorities are:

Low energy usage - my current server uses 160w
Networking - Gigabit preferred
Performance - it must be useable for uninterrupted music playback, and able to scan a large library in a few hours or less
Stability - low maintenance and long term stability preferred

Twonkyvision lists the following models:

Freecom FSG-3 Storage Gateway
Freecom Storage Gateway WLAN

Fujitsu Siemens
Activy Media Center

Fujitsu Siemens
Activy Media Server

Hermsted Hifidelio

intradisk

LaCie Ethernet disk mini

Linksys NAS200

Qnap NAS

Sereneti
smart home server

Comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks!

do_brunner
AV Hardware:Denon AVR 3808 (AV receiver)
QNAP TS-109 Pro (All-in-one NAS Server)
Fujitsu-Siemens Scaleo EVi-2535 (Media Center PC)

Re: Please recommend a NAS for TwonkyMedia

Post by do_brunner » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:38 pm

Hi,

I just bought the QNAP TS-109 Pro NAS. Power consumption was one of the main criteria for me. Comparing with other network attached storage systems the QNAP models looked to me as the best option. The TS-109 is a fanless device with exceptionally low operating and (even more important) standby power consumption.
So far I am happy with the device. The only thing I am struggling with at the moment is that I am not able to play back lossless WMA files (MP3 and other formats are ok), but I think this is not a problem of the specific NAS but rather of the TwonkyMedia server.

Best, D.B.

Budgie

Post by Budgie » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:09 pm

Just purchased QNAP TS209 Pro II. Reason: Power saving as old server drew about 600 watts. Went for 209 so I could have two disks in RAID 1 array as I intend to use NAS for backup device on network as well as media server.
Very pleased with the QNAP box and Twonky works straight out of the box. All I had to do was set up a subdirectory to suit my MP3 database and NFS client to facilitate transfer. Not yet tried images and video yet.
Qnap support is excellent and they have very helpful forum too. That was another reason why I went for Qnap.
Hope this helps.
Regards,
Budgie

k1200rs
AV Hardware:Does no longer attend this forum.

Post by k1200rs » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:43 pm

Readynas Duo.
Easy to install Twonkymedia on it, you do not need to know anything about Linux, it just takes few secs.
Just bought and installed 3 days ago.
It has also all power save features, including sleep mode and auto scheduled power off and on.

Note: the best way to assess quality of a NAS and support of Twonkyvision is to have a look at their user forum.

Have a look at the Readynas one: http://www.readynas.com/forum/index.php

raven

Post by raven » Wed Sep 10, 2008 8:00 pm

Conceptronic CH3SNAS. Is cheap but quite powerful, has 2 bays, low power consumption. Is the same as the DNS323. There is a twonky installer which makes it very easy to install twonky on it. Is also very easy to tweak and run all kinds of other programs on it without any permanent hacking.
For more info: http://wiki.dns323.info, check out the forum as well.

naskid

Post by naskid » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:39 pm

QNAP NAS series.
See applications:
http://www.qnap.com/pro_features.asp

tsparc
AV Hardware:Lacie Ethernet Big Disk
PS3
Archos 605 WiFi

Post by tsparc » Wed Nov 05, 2008 6:03 pm

I have a Lacie Eithernet Big Disk 1TB and it works fine for streaming but is slow for upload, download, and frequently freezes on me. I ordered a Qnap 109 II Pro with a 1TB disk today hopefully it will work better and I can use the Lacie for backup.

Also Lacie are VERY slow with Twonky updates and access to config is limited. The latest Lacie will give you now is 4.4.4 and they told me they don't have a date for any later releases. After buying the Lacie you have to request 4.4.4 from them as a patch, plus the twonky admin page which is not enabled out of the box.

The Qnap boxes also have stuff like embedded slimserver, bit torrent client, my sql etc. It's more expensive but you get a lot more in terms of power and functionality.

moremadness2001
AV Hardware:Buffalo Linkstation Live + PS3

Post by moremadness2001 » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:02 am

Remember that NAS devices are no longer supported by Twonky. Read http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5556

tsparc
AV Hardware:Lacie Ethernet Big Disk
PS3
Archos 605 WiFi

Post by tsparc » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:46 pm

moremadness2001 wrote:Remember that NAS devices are no longer supported by Twonky. Read http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5556
They are not saying they won't support NAS, just NAS verisons which are installed by the end user. They are saying it's now up the vendor so just be careful you pick a NAS brand that has a history of keeping Twonky up to date. Lacie for example still stuck on 4.4.4, but Qnap have already made 4.4.9 available.