Internet Radio and PS3

Discuss Twonky and PS3 here
Wedged!
AV Hardware:PS3
Internet Radio and PS3

Post by Wedged! » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:48 am

I am assuming this is not possible but can u get the PS3 to play internet radio using TwonkyMedia?

mgillespie
AV Hardware:TwonkyMedia AV UPnP Mediaserver (Marvell Kirkwood ARM Sheevaplug with Debian Squeeze).
2x Noxon V2 audio client
1x PS3 Slim 500GB Audio/Video UPnP client.
1x Sony VGF-CP1 Wireless Photoframe.

Re: Internet Radio and PS3

Post by mgillespie » Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:43 pm

Not currently, it's because of how the PS3 implements strict DLNA compliance. This means the stream length needs to be supplied upfront, however streaming radio is effectively indefinite. Some servers hack around this, but that breaks DLNA compliance.

That's my understanding.
Please note: Moderators here are voluntary and do not work for PacketVideo or Twonky, please do not attack us. Any posts are personal opinion, and may not be those of PV/Twonky.

EwoutB
AV Hardware:QNAP TS-409 Pro, HDX-1000 (Networked Media Tank)

Re: Internet Radio and PS3

Post by EwoutB » Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:48 pm

I have a similar issue with my NMT (HDX-1000), which -- although strictly speaking not DLNA certified -- is identified by the TwonkyServer 4.4.9 (in my QNAP TS-409 Pro) as a DLNA 1.0 compliant player. The ShoutCast entries are shown in the UPnP-CDS (I can browse them), but the <verylongandstrangename>.mp3 files do not play.

I'm sure DLNA is capable of playing open-ended content. Or is this just a limitation of DLNA 1.0 (as opposed to DLNA 1.5)?